Growing a Mango from seed that was grown in my garden

Geraldton,Western Au, Australia

Hi What is the best way to grow a mango from seed

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hi my other half is a mango grower lol.

Just grab the seed and cut a corner of and than plant......

Cheers A.

LE TAMPON, Reunion (French)

You have to know that mangoes are polyembrionic which means between other things that you have about 98% chance to get something completely different from your original tree, mangoes are to be grafted in order to get the same genetic material hence the same fruits. Seedlings can be quite deceptive and it will take years before you know it...

Gisborne, New Zealand

Hi there,just curious, what would the fruit be like that you might get. I only know mango as the fruit you buy in the fruit shop. Would the fruit from the seed be worth eating or would it just be a decorative plant of not much use. Lesley.

Perth, Australia

mum just planted the seed we ate from a grower's about 10 years ago and it grew .... it's been fruiting since about 5 years ago... so I'd say yeah you can grow from seed.... I just dont know any more than that they're gobbleguts... you have to fertilize like heck for a few years before they are settled.

Gisborne, New Zealand

Thankyou for the info Jen . Nexttme I have a mango I'll give it a try. Lesley.

When you open up the big seed there will be lots of funny little seedling thingos all twisted around each other ...if you gently separate them ...the biggest one is said to be the most like... if not the same as the parent ...so I was told. I have grown many in this garden but fruiting them is another story when the conditions are right I get some lovely mangos ...but the rain usually wins the day and the blossoms don't set ...funnily they love drought (dry air when in flower) and lots of water once the fruit has taken.
chrissy

LE TAMPON, Reunion (French)

Mangoes are always propagated by grafting for commercial crops but it is fun to try seeds as anything can happen! You can get awful acid dry fruits or the big juicy sweet one, here on Reunion we have the 'José' which is very local, small round yellow with specific taste, raised from seeds.
Anyway it is always fun to grow a plant!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.