Anyone seen/ tried Wal-Marts version of an EB style planter

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I noticed that Wal-Mart has a new style self watering planter this year. It seems to be of the same concept as an earthbox, except it dosen't have a fill tube, just a couple of spouts down at the water reservoir to fill it. It also dosen't have the plastic cover for the top either, but the basic principle looks about the same as far as the water reservoir, the wicking, and the divider screened area between water and soil. etc.
It looks like it holds a pretty good volume of water in the reservoir.

It comes in several sizes, both round and rectangular.

It's called the Plant-Spa.

Anyone seen it or used it yet ? I didn't notice any instructions for the fertilizing, or type potting mix or anything like that with it. Of course, we all know those 'secrets' are just for EB's......... hehe

I'm anxious to hear from someone who's tried them. They look like they would work the same way if a plastic cover was used, along with the fertilier strip and the right potting mix.

Check it out and tell us what you think.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I saw it yesterday!
I got some $$ for my b-day, and decided to test an Earth Box, the Grow Box, plus a design for making your own I found here on DG. I've always thought the EB's were too expensive.
I didn't buy the Walmart ones b/c I thought they were ugly and overpriced. The "real" EB is black, and the GB is dark forest green. The ones I made myself are out of black plastic storage bins and black pails. Walmart's looked especially "plasticy"- does that make sense? The green is the best color, but there is something I don't like about it, so I decided to skip it and keep my experiment as is.
I also found some black self-watering pots in a local greenhouse for much cheaper than Walmart's! $6, and they are a beautiful black design. I had to get 3 of those... I always forget how much it costs to actually FILL these containers!!!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Actually, now that you mention it, they did look like they were a lighter weight plastic.

Probably they wouldn't last as long as an EB. But I'm like you, I think EB's are a little pricey. These were a lot less expensive.

The large round one looked about the size of some of the 5 gal. ones people have made for their tomatoes and posted pics. of.

I'm thinking I may buy just one and try a tomato plant in it. The looks don't have to be all that great for mine, as I intend for them to be for practical gardening rather than decorative.

I hear ya about getting them all filled. Last year I bought 2 EB's and spent a little over $ 80. ......... then I had to wait to fill them because I had exhausted my gardening and flower budget getting all my annuals for the flower beds. Summer went by, and Fall arrived before I ever got it done. This year, the first thing I bought was my potting mix for the EB's. hehe

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Me, too!!! THIS year (you think I'd learn after 40-odd years) I bought potting mix FIRST! I've had so many plants die b/c I didn't have the soil to pot them up in!! Duh!!!
I went to Ocean State Job Lots and bought 8 40# bags of their soil for about $1.50 each! Then I got some perlite to "cut" it with, b/c it looks kinda gritty.
NOW I'm sowing and buying too many plants, so that I'll have to go buy MORE soil... I think it's always going to be the same story!

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi PeggieK:
I - I bought 4 30" self-watering window boxes at closeout prices (after 07-04)from WM and planted bush beans in 2 of them:

BOX # 1 was planted per instructions that were on the planters and,
BOX # 2 was planted as if it were an EB with an added plastic cover. Both boxes were prolific producers; but BOX # 2 appeared to be aterlogged so I watered it much less than BOX # 1; but we still produced a lot of beans. I planted the beans 4" apart along each side of the boxes and placed them along a south fence. This Summer I've moved them to a more open space and will plant just one row per box.
Final observations:
1. Boxes are low-end and the reservoir holds about .5 GL of water and the soil holds about the same for a total of almost 1-GL which if used with a plastic cover will decrease watering of either flowers or veggies.
2. Soil-wick keeps soil too damp.
3. I've grown dwarf/bush veggies in them just because I had extra plants and all grew well (cukes, peppers, zukes and maters) - but 1 plant per box please except bell peppers which I plant two (2) to per box.
4. Overall, I'd purchase again rather than build an EB, if I could purchase the 30" at 60% off or $8.00.

Bernie

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Pictures anyone?

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey ya'll, I'm sorry for posting again on this subject: but was at WM the other day looking for bird feeders and I saw the new Misco "plant spas" priced at $8.44 so I bought 2. They are indeed less stiff than their previous units; but Misco did add a metal rod to help stiffen the unit-it is clipped to one side of the top with instructions to "swivel clip and snap in the opposite side" written in a hard to read place. As prevlosly stated lt more suited for flowers and small veggies.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

alpha537 --- I was at Walmart yesterday and saw the window boxes that you were referring. They really aren't big enough to grow anything other than flowers. They had the wire clip that was centered. Don't understand the purpose of the clip as they don't hold enough soil to make the window box bow out and they don't serve as a handle?
Also did not see anything that resembled an earthbox. Does anyone have pictures? It would surely help to identify it?

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

The EB's Walmart carries are either the window box type or the large cylindrical containers. It didn't occur to me that the long "window box" was indeed meant to be an actual window box; they just seemed to me to be long oval containers designed to hold multiple plants.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I made these for less then $10.00

http://www.josho.com/gardening.htm

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

we made 7 all together.... so far most of those plants doubled in size in just under two weeks

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the problem with the bin on the left is the sides were tapered..... didn't work out as well with the boxes that had straight sides... but the cuccs are up to the top of my fence already... planted these june 2nd

Thumbnail by onewish1

onewish1 --- How did you set your fertilizer and lime and how much of each did you use?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

when I filled the buckets... all I used was promix & fertilizer from gardeners supply... said a hand full at planting time and side dress when they start to set fruit

http://www.gardeners.com/Organic%20Tomato%20Fertilizer/VegetableGardening_Fertilizers,07-200RS,default,cp.html

Sounds right! I was concerned because I saw some yellowing and your plants are to young for that? Guess the fertilizer did not take effect yet. After taking a second look I suggest you add more fertilizer to the yellowing plants. Because you are using organic fertilizer you don't have to be concerned about burning.

This message was edited Jun 23, 2008 9:59 AM

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the yellowing would be from me starting my seeds too early inside.... AGAIN

:)

same boxes today

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

this one was filled june 2nd also

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the one on the right is still a bit scrawny.... i am sure it will get better

the really yellow ones were taken the day I planted.... started inside too soon... and took too long to plant them

only my second year growing veggies from seed.... next year will be better

This message was edited Jun 23, 2008 1:26 PM

Thumbnail by onewish1

Good for you! Big difference....

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you can almost see them get bigger when you watch them

;)

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

Tplant---
1. The MISCO "Plant Spa" window box is NO EB but; it is a self-watering planter as is the EB.
2. The EB genuine or DIY hold about 2 CF of soilless planting media and has a reservoir of 2-3 gallons of water and are "soil wick gradient watering systems. Where as, the MISCO planters are self-watering soil-wick units with reservoirs from .5 to 1 gallon that require watering from the top for 5-8 days in order to set the soil wick. And as we all know from your great guide on how to setup an EB compaction of the soiless media in the wick chambers is required to set the soil wicks and throughout the rest of the soil media to ensure that the EB works as advertized.
3. The MISCO 30" units hold a little less than 1 CF of soil and are only about 7 inches deep if you dome the container mix like you would in an EB. The 15, 18, and 21 inch oval MISCO units hold 1-2 CF of soil media. I prefer the 15" units because I can move it easily when needed as I garden on a suburban lot. I bought these MISCOs before finding DG, EB, SQF gardening or the Mittleider Method.As a matter of fact my yard is a demonstration project of different gardening technics.
4. I quess my failing for believability is that I don't have pictures to prove what I say. But if you've used the MM or EBs you know that the main root mass rarely go beyond 7.5 inches deep or less even-if all of the plants nutritional, air and water needs are met. I've grown full-size veggies in 6 inch hydroponic grow pots. OK, enough all ready I'll do pictures.
5. Those DIY EB- I made one and it worked well; But, I had bought 6 EBs and 1 Garden Box before I built it. When I moved the DIY EB made with the 18 gallon WM storage bin the sides flexed and cracked.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am still new with veggies... the down side to the diy boxes we made... my stakes are too short ... the cucs are already at the top

alpha357 --- Thanks for the update. You really have the knowledge with all your experiences with the real EBs, The home made EBs, The Garden Box and Walmarts Plant Spa. WOW! Which ones are your preference?

Goffstown, NH

hi, I just bought the self watering plant spa from walmart and Im wondering if you just put the soil in the planter or if you need to put stones in there also?
thanks
Ian

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

for your battle with plastic "ugly", krylon makes spray paint for plastic lawn furniture that is paint and primer in one and they have a very nice forest green color. I have used it on black plastic milk crates that I am using for plant stands and it makes all the difference to have a uniform color. The plant stand disappears into the foliage and if I have to respray it next year {cause I live in FL now and have yet to survive the hurricane season and the rains} I will. This will probably work on your GB's made out of storage containers. I would lightly sand the surface first and apply the paint. It will probably stick on plastic buckets from Home Depot or Lowe's as well.
Martha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.