My first pique assiette table!

Maple City, MI(Zone 6a)

Hello!

I am new here. ;) What an amazing site!! You are all so creative and inspiring. I'm also fairly new to mosaics. I've done a few projects here and there but this is by far the most time consuming one i've done. I regrouted it 2 times. I didn't like the white grout first because it didn't make the design pop like I wanted. So then I tried grey grout and it looked fabulous. After visiting this site I saw something about rub n buff...which i'll have to try in the future. That may have saved me hours of removing the white grout and replacing with grey grout.

I do have a few questions though....do you sand the edges of the dishes after you break them so they aren't so sharp? My friend does mosaics and made me a beautiful bird house but it's very sharp. I didn't want my table to be that way so I took my dremel with the stone grinding bit and made the edges smooth. That took a while but I was pleased with the results.

Also, I tried sealing the table with a craft mosaic sealer. That did not work well. After drying it just peeled off the tiles and looked horrible. Is there a particular sealer that any of you have found to work better?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Kim

Thumbnail by kimmage
This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!