wild pig repellant?????

Kea'au, HI

I brought in several 30 yard truck loads of mulch that I discovered too late had macadamia nuts in it, and now that it is spread I am being invaded by every wild pig in the forest. I have killed a few, but they just keep coming. Every morning reveals more pig destruction. They have destroyed hundreds of dollars of plants and trees. They are not afraid of my large dogs or motion detector outdoor lights. They tear down and trample my scarecrows. I ordered some very expensive mountain lion urine from the US continent, advertised as a guaranteed pig repellant, but Hawai'i pigs aren't fazed by the stuff. Does anyone know of a repellant, or any way to keep them away without having to kill all of them?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Red pepper? Cayenne powder? Those usually will keep any critter away but I don't know for sure about wild pigs.

Kea'au, HI

Pepper 23, I spread 10# of Korean red pepper flakes around some plants but did not bother the pigs.

mulege, Mexico

Can you advertise (or ask around) for someone who likes to hunt them? I don't know what your regulations are but you might find someone who's happy to knock them off for you.

Good luck. They can be horrible.

katiebear

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Oh, I feel so very sorry for you, those pigs are extremely destructive and cause some of our pools and rivers to be dangerous to swim in because of the bacterial they leave in the water. They are responsible for destroying a good deal of the forest in Hana way so I can imagine the devastation to your garden. It's open season here on hunting them here on Maui, our attitude is the only good wild pig is a dead wild pig.

I don't know if you have looked into electric fencing? 'Bout the only thing I think will work other than mass slaughter and an enormous luau..

Be careful, I have heard that they can be very dangerous if confronted, especially if they have piglets.

Perhaps Carol will have some ideas, she lives in your area.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Pepper sent me your link because I have problems with several a couple types of animals. Here in missouri it is Deer, Squirrels and Armadillos. The Armadillo problem( 1st time in history they have gotten a range this large) has just emerged over the past few years since our winters have become less severe and they can survive them. I would think you locale govermant conservation organization should have some realization of the problem and be taking steps to control them.

Let me say right now I would not qualify for memebership in petta. I believe in elimination of over populations of problem causing animals. The deer herd in missouri has grown so large that there is a expanded and more liberal hunting season. Last year in one short season there were over 100,000 deer taken in the state by hunters and it has not made a dent in the population. This over population has resulted in cougar and black bear showing up in odd places all over the state. Squirrels are something else that will overpopulate in short order. One pair of squirrels can result in 50 squirrels in about a year. since the young of a couple breedings will be breeding themselves in the next cycle following there birth. Over population will result in weakened conditions and this intern can bring about disease that can effect humans as well. While i will shoot squirrels and armadillos outright I do not shoot deer to kill I am able to hold them at bay with a 410 shotgun loaded with target load number 9 shot. I shoot them in the rump and it will not penatreate the thick hide in that area but it will leave a leave a sting and a hurt for several weeks and they never forget it. As a matter of fact I think they go up in the woods and talk about it in deer atlk because all you have to do is one behind and they all stay away. I do not know if that would work on wild pigs. If it won't ,and they are doing the damage it seems from these post that they are, I would just start shooting them to eliminate them.

Kea'au, HI

Thanks for the suggestions. I shot two myself, but they were so big two of us couldn't lift them into the truck, so I borrowed a backhoe and buried them. I hired a professional pig hunter recommended by Mauna Loa Macadamia plantation, but he charges $100 to kill and remove a pig. He killed six, and that hasn't even dented the population. I have 12 acres on the edge of the Puna forest reserve, so the pig supply seems to be endless. Braveheartsmom suggestion of mass slaughter and a big luau sounds great to me, but I don't think I can pull it off. If anyone hears of any more ideas, please let me know. These pigs are miniature bulldozers.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Sounds like we are neighbors!!!! We haven't had problems with pigs although we know they are around...the dogs kill one every once in a while. I have heard that if you kill one...drag it around the property leaving the smell around and that will deter other pigs. Don't know for sure. Have you called Ag? Sometimes they will come with traps...or someone will. A fried of mine in Fern Forest sets out snares and gets them... The PigHunters Club are supposed to be delighted to come out and kill them for you for free...train their kids (hahaha). Hey...give me a call....I am in the book under Carol Noel -

I feel for you!!!

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Please do be careful. The javelinas in Arizona chased me while I was pushing my baby in a stroller. They are very dangerous when they have babies around. I would hope the mulch company would be reminbursing you for the mulch at least.

Maple Ridge, BC(Zone 7b)

What breed of dogs do you have ? Perhaps you have a breed that has a herding temperment and not a sporting/guarding temperment ? If so perhaps need to get a dog from a breed inclined to at least chase off, if not kill , the invaders.

Kea'au, HI

Alohahoya, I see the stickers for Big Island Pig Hunters on trucks all the time. They are not in the phone book, and didn't find them through Google. If you hear of any way to contact the Pig Hunters Club, PLEASE let me know. I will try your suggestion of dragging a carcass around this weekend. Terichris, I won't mess with a mama pig with babies. The mulch is free from the county. They grind up all the green waste at the dump, and will load any size truck for free. Unfortunately, the macadamia nut market tanked, and the plantations are dumping the lower grade nuts. They don't want them around because they are a magnet for pigs.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Note of caution: That macnut mulch also attracts a tiny little boring (yes, that too) flying beetle...in the summer they fly around the lights, they are so small they come thru the screen and are specific to macnuts. We spread macnut mulch down 7 years ago....and which it is wonderful...the beetles drive us NUTS! Still do!!!

I will see what i can find out. There IS an assn. - you might try calling Hawaiian Ag 974-4114 or the Master Gardeners on Tues. and friday mornings at 981 5199. They might know where you could find the number.

At the Makuu Market, every Sunday there is a fellow, Marvin, who sells lots of different bananas and heliconias. He is on the Hilo end of the market. He has been having lots of problems with pigs digging up his bananas/garden and has talked to some hunters. He might be a source too....He is particular about who he lets on his property...no drinkers...so I bet he has lots of hunters he won't use! LOL

I know it is a problem...we keep thinking it is our dogs and the fact that we walk and run them around the property a couple of times a day and that keeps them away. We had one walk down our driveway once...he is now in Pig Heaven. We never see any damage from them altho, according to the dogs, we know they are out there in the bush.

Kea'au, HI

Solarbear, you bring up a very good point that never occurred to me. I have Louisiana Catahoula Leopard dogs. The ranches on the island work them to find and gather range cattle. They are popular with pig and goat hunters, but they hunt by herding the prey to the hunter. They are very aggressive if anyone comes close to the house, but they pretty much ignore the rest of the property. Can you suggest a large dog that would be inclined to drive off or attack pigs? After dark, the pigs are not afraid of my Catahoula's at all.

Kea'au, HI

Alohahoya, thank you for the phone numbers. I have met Marvin - he lives in farm lots up Kopua road. He also gets lots of mulch from the dump - he must have got the same mac nut batch that I did. Will see if he can give me some pig killer leads. Thanks again.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Keaau - our dogs are Chesapeake Bay Retriever/Labrador mix - Thelma has come home with a tusk mark, about a foot long, that shaved the hair off her side but did not gore her. The two of them are fearless and gentle but really go after the pigs. You might talk to Jenny down at the Humane Society and see if she has any dogs she could recommend....she is very knowledgeable about dogs... We see the pig 'scat' in the orchards but they seem to steer clear of the gardens and the plantings. We, too, are at the edge of a Forest Reserve...with 12 acres...and the pigs could really do a number on us, but they seem to really stay away...and our dogs are in a kennel at night.

Camarillo, CA

Is fencing an option? I know the Nat'l Park Service has found it an effective measure to keep pigs and goats out of parts of Haleakala (and I think Hawai'i Volcanoes Nat'l Park).

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

lorien...our area is on a very old lava flow...in order to put anything in the ground you have to hammer thru lava....and 12 acres is a lot of fence posts. The trees have very shallow roots but the root ball is 8-10 feet in diameter!!!

Maple Ridge, BC(Zone 7b)

Well, any dog you pick is going to have to be raised with your own dogs from a small pup and you will have to accept it might not be exactly receptive to strange dogs . Dogo Argentino is one, looks like a pitbull but not same breed, its been bred for hunting big game including peccaries ( wild pigs) . http://www.bulldoginformation.com/argentina-dog.html
Bull Terriers of a larger size in general would be good.Rottweilers might work as long as you take into account dark coats and need for shade on hot days .Heres a description of difference between a watch dog and a guard dog http://caninebreeds.bulldoginformation.com/guardian-dogs.html . Basically its the difference between action and reaction. My rottweiler will guard the yard... she doesnt like cats dogs or anything else in her space. If i introduce someone to her and she gets a good sniff and introduction then they are added to her " allowed " list. Like any big dog half the battle is to remember that they are prey driven on instincts and you have to ensure "you are the boss". But i think if you talk to a few breeders locally you will find one that is suited for your climate. Remember large dogs with small muzzles do poorer in hot humid than large dogs with long muzzles.I remember even a good old shepherd cross as a kid on my uncles ranch who was more than happy to chase black bears halfway up the mountain to keep them away. Good luck on the pig invasion.

Well, I can tell you that although Great Danes were bred to hunt boar, they are nothing but couch potatoes! Christi can confirm that Candy doesn't do pig! How awful about Thelma coming home with a tusk mark Carol, she could so easily have been gored, those pig stand their ground...

Although I feel your pain Keaau, you have brought a very interesting subject to the forum! Do let us know how you get on with Marvin or the Big Island Pig Hunters...

Aloha.

Vieques, PR

If you play recordings of Hillary campaign speeches, this will at least keep the male chauvinist pigs away.

ROTFL!!!!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I think an electric fence would work well for your situation. The plastic posts are only set about 6 inches deep or you can get insulted brackets to attach to trees or shrubs. With pigs you would only need one wire (since they aren't known for jumping) set at snout height. I've used electric fence on cows, horses, sheep and dogs and they all seem to learn pretty quick that they don't want to mess with that wire. If you buy a charger, make sure it's rated for livestock and large enough for the length of fence you need to charge. Since you only have a pig problem at night you could leave it off during the day so you don't shock yourself.

It sounds like somebody needs to start a sausage factory out there! (Or maybe a spam factory since that seemed oddly popular on Oahu)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Wild Pig is consumed quickly here!!!

Officials are slow to respond to invasive species: a frog came in, the Coqui, which could have been contained easily at first. "Let's see if it becomes a problem", they said...ignoring the history of this beast. Now it is so invasive it cannot be controlled - BUT - "they" controll the methods that are legal or illegal to kill them - regardless of the success. Boggles the mind. The more houses that are built, the more forests are tamed, the more concentrated the pigs become...

We still love it here...ANYway.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Hoya that is the case with the in the Ozarks. Just too many people. Officials here are well aware of the problem but they are skiddish about giving advise,but at the same time will turn there heads to some human killing. One of the odd things I have noticed in recent years is a sharp increase increase of deer birthing twins. Makes me wonder if in some way climate change is involved. Would not surprise me. We have Armadillos now for the first time ever and Cougar have returned to Missouri. Thanks to Arkansas's poor wildlife management we also have black bear poping up all over the place. Ark decided about 10 years ago to restock black bear and promote some silly program. They always did have black bear but they had to pushed it. Now there is black bear showing up in St Louis burbs.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Crazy. Perhaps the deer are trying to repopulate so they can kick the humans out. Poor things haven't got a chance!!!!

You know, i think sometimes 'government' makes silly rules so they can employ silly people to try to inforce them!!!!

Kea'au, HI

Tracked down a Feral Ungulate Control Officer on Oahu this morning. Learned Hawai'i is having a wild pig population explosion, even Honolulu neighborhoods. He said: 1. Poison illegal. 2.Too many for me to kill enough to make a difference. 3. No effective repellant. 4. No effective affordable fence. 5. Large dogs work best, but loose dogs are illegal off your own property unless in designated dog hunting area, and illegal to knowingly let dogs kill pig. 6. The Hawai'i Legislature is discussing the problem (God Help Us). 7. He has no suggestions. But, "some people" suggest that bloody pig gore be dragged around the property being invaded, then placed at the ends of pig trails with some scent of the dogs belonging to the property, ie, kukaeilio. Pigs will assume your dog is a pig killer, and will go someplace else to eat. On the Big Island we are lucky - we can legally shoot pigs. On Oahu, they have to grab them and stab them. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Combined, they are pretty much what the State "expert" suggests. Will let you know how it works.

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Grab them and stab them, are they serious?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Gee, Keaau....you have your work cut out for you!!!!

Good luck.

I say let the gov officials try to grab and stab. I think they would change that rule real quick.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Pepper...the old way of pig hunting is with dogs and knives! I have seen a group of teenage boys with their dogs and long knives, setting off into the bush! One kid carried a gun just in case there was a 'need'. Guess it is more macho with just a knife.... Crazy if you ask me!!!

Sounds crazy to me too!!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Saw a pig killed by a Maori in NZ - that's the way they do it. Dogs were really mean!!! Down there they call the wild mean pigs Captain Cookers - Pigs let go wild by Capt. Cook that have bred with domestic ones...really REALLY big!!!

Keaau, love number 6 - don't hold your breath!
Rather gross to have to spread entrails all over the place, I wonder if it works! All I can imagine is the flies and maggots - yuk!
I haven't heard that there is a pig explosion of numbers here on Maui, but I don't live on the windward side. We have mostly deer and wild goats. Any luck with the pig hunter guys?
Remind me not to go to a Maori dinner party...

Kea'au, HI

My nephew is coming to help tonight, and we have no intention of grabbing and stabbing. We are going to ambush and shoot. When I was in college on Oahu I knew fellows who hunted pig that way. I thought they were just showing off to the girls, not knowing that was how it had to be done there.

Vieques, PR

Grab and GET stabbed is more like it --check the tusks on this thing!

This message was edited Apr 8, 2008 8:13 PM

Thumbnail by JPlunket
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Why I missed this threa????
After few weeks I am moving to a new home but there are lots of wild pigs and these are enemy of plants especially veggis, is there any plants which are known as pig resistant plants? How can I push them away from my garden?
Kaleem

Here you can see my new house

Thumbnail by gumlla
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Lovely house!!!!!

From what I understand...there is nothing except for large mean dogs...maybe.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

AlohaHoya
Thank you, dogs are not allowed , there are no boundary walls with these houses because of strict security but pigs can roam every where..........
Kaleem

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Are there wild pigs in Pakistan? DH grew up eating them but he is from Texas.

Aloha Kaleem, and welcome! Your new house looks very pretty and the garden is so nice and green. What is the red bush we can just see peeking out on the right side of the photo, it's really a beautiful bright red - bouganvilla? So sorry to hear you have pig problems there too, we are all waiting to see if Keaau can make a dent in the population tomorrow with the help of his (?)nephew...
Jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.