Melons and irrigation question

Phoenix, AZ

I'm trying to grow stuff anywhere in my yard that seems logical. I have an east facing block wall that has beds with duranta (Sweet Memory). The duranta will grow huge if I let them but I thought I'd make an effort to prune them back so I could grow another plant in the same bed. I'd like to grow a watermelon or two and cantaloupe. There's plenty of room for them to vine out onto the lawn. Assuming you think this would work, here's my other concern: The yard gets flood irrigation every two weeks during the summer. Water rises to a level of 4" - 5" inches, but soaks in and recedes pretty quickly. Will this be harmful to the vines and/or the blooms and fruit?

The area in question gets full sun till early afternoon when the 6' wall will shade it. I'll have to water between irrigation schedules as the heat will be brutal. Your thoughts, please?

Alma

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

There are hundreds of acres of melons south of Phoenix that use flood irrigation. Cantalope, ambrosia, watermelons, orange honeydew, honeydew, yellow watermelons, casaba and crenshaw all grow there. Main goal is not to water the week to 10 days before picking so they can "take sugar". I have had pretty good luck with melons. Dmail me for addtl info. Sue

Phoenix, AZ

Sue, you have d-mail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.