Blooming in April

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I'll get another thread going, I'll have to get back to you with some pictures.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Here's one that surprised me.
Nicotiana...already?
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Mine is growing and about 12-15 inches high but I would be very surprised if it flowered this earily.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

a few before bedtime...

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

sinnigia sellovi (thanks to Tom)

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

pulsatilla

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

med. fan palm surprised me with a few yellow blobs of flowers

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

chinodoxia (not sure about the spelling on that one)

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

petasites

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

camellia 'Taylor's Perfection'

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

my neighbor bought this today at a box store, from their driveway..lol

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

striped squill

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

siberian squill

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

not blooming at all, but I had to take a picture before the bugs eat the rest of it, can't remember the name...sugar leaf? It's a native I got in a trade

diehrd, did you have a picture of the palm blooms?

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

nope, not yet , but probably this weekend... i've been soo busy... as in up-til-3-and-2-and-then-up-at-6-again-kind-of-busy

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Red tips a blooming.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Anyone know exactly which bottle brush this is? I'd put pictures in the plant files if I knew.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Another same kind.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

oh so many beautiful pictures!!! you each must be the envy of your neighbors...unless you have Core's neighbors..you know the psycho's...LOL poor Core...

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Core: No idea which Bottlebrush, but it's really nice. I love the shape of it.
Deb

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

its just the normal old callistemon citrinus, just an older one. they get droopy with age. our bottle bruhes are beautiful now, too

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

well guess what I got to do tonite...it was a ball of fun...replace the water heater...walked into the kitchen last nite and the floor was soaked...the old water heater croaked and let us know it!...So went and picked up a new one and watched the BF install while read the instructions..I think I def. got the easy part LOL but it's a bigger tank then before and one of those ones you can set from an outside box for vacation, energy, etc...pretty cool...there went my plant budget..darn...

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Rednyr: Does NOT sound like a fun evening!

OK, not blooming in April, but...alive and coming up in April, which is odd, .....EE Black Magic!
Cannas are about a foot high.
Bizarre. I even have some Hostas breaking the surface, which didn't happen til the end of May last year.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Debin I'm right with you. Just noticed a hosta coming up today and I have a black EE coming up too. Hibiscus are growing now which I think is a little earily. Tropical ones that is.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

punica granatum "nana" dwarf pomegranate

Thumbnail by 1cros3nails4gvn
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

a spent flower

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

new flower. i know the pic is sideways, but they normally hang down on the plant, so this way it looks more realistic

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

mediterranean fan palm chamaerops humilis

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

gosh... these are all blurry.... sorry

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

not really a flower, but reproductive organ nonetheless. coontie, zamia integrifolia, coning

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

our bottlebrushes

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Serissa 'primrose' is in full bloom now.
Edited to add - I just saw that insect on the little flower, I wonder what that critter is?

Core, that is a gorgeous bottlebrush; don't you just love it when the late afternoon sun hits the flowers.

This message was edited Apr 5, 2008 3:53 AM

Thumbnail by ardesia

I have gotten this aloe ID'd several time but I keep forgetting to label it. It blooms several times a year.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Bouvardia ternifolia.

This one is thin and twiggy plant but it is covered all year with these brilliant red flowers. I have hummingbirds all winter because of this one. If I remember correctly, this plant was discovered in the mountains of Mexico but it seems to do fine in the lowcountry. I have had it in a pot for years.

Thumbnail by ardesia
surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Alice
Where did you get the Bouvardia?It seems that this is one I "need" to have.

I bought the first one many years ago and I can't remember where I found it. Two years ago I found them on Woodlanders website and ordered another but I planted it in the ground and it never thrived. I am not even sure if it is alive or not. Can't remember if Tony Avant had it listed or not but it is the sort of thing he carries.

By the way, I recently heard a rumor about Woodlanders closing down. Anyone else heard that?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

PDN does have that Bouvardia listed, Downscale.
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/04943.html

Beautiful reds, Alice! That critter looks like it may be a Bush Katydid nymph. Not sure, though.
Diehrd: I didn't know that chamaerops humilis blooms! Going to go check mine now. ^_^

This salvia's blooming now. ("Viola Klose")
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Mine never dies down, that might explain why it blooms all year and why it is so twiggy. Maybe I'll give it a haircut next winter and see what happens.

PDN has it in 24 oz. pots. What the heck are 24 oz pots???????

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

yep all palms bloom

Orangeburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Hope the Woodlanders rumor is just that! They have such neat stuff. One of the tiny sweet shrubs I got from them this winter now has all leafed out and one little bloom on it! I did the happy dance when I saw it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.