I can't wait till my garden looks like this again!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I love living in Central Oregon, but the winters last TOO LONG! This is what my garden looks like now.
Susan

Thumbnail by gardener105
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I can't wait till it looks like this again!
Susan

Thumbnail by gardener105
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Wow. Love these seasonal contrast pictures. It'd be cool to see week-by-week progress to see what leafs out first, etc.

Thank goodness for photos, eh? Makes this part of the year and the interminable wait a little more bearable . . .

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

hi......
huge difference. i can see why you want the warmth to come. have you thought about getting a few evergreen trees to help with the bareness of winter?

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

What I want to know is how you have two treads? I thought I was going crazy, I know I posted on one then the other pop up and my post was not there, then I saw you have two. LOL

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

tilly, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF THE FIRST ONE! I wanted to delete the first one but there isn't any way to do it. No you're not going crazy! LOL!
Susan

This message was edited Apr 3, 2008 8:35 AM

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Katie, that's an excellent idea! I think I'll do that very thing!
shokami2, I have evergreens. You posted a reply on my thread about the Deer Eating my Arborvitae. Those ARE my evergreens! Obviously they didn't help!
Susan

Thumbnail by gardener105
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey, Susan, if you send a dmail to DG admins, I think they can remove one of them...

Regardless of the thread, your garden beds are very pretty! Are the arborvitae recovering?

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

oh silly me!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Hi Sue! Thank you, I thought about that about 5 minutes ago! Genious's minds work together! LOL!
Susan

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

tilly, ROFL! I understand!

This message was edited Apr 3, 2008 12:58 PM

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I started a new pic folder, it's called Spring-Summer. I'm going to take pics and post them periodically so we all can see the transition. I took several from different areas of the garden. I think it will be interesting to see how much it changes over the coming months. Sure doesn't look like much now does it! LOL!
BTW-I'm down to one thread on this subject, Terry deleted the other one so you won't be seeing double anymore! LOL!
BBL
Susan

This message was edited Apr 3, 2008 1:23 PM

Thumbnail by gardener105
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I feel much better now. I can focus.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

What a nice approach to your house - very welcoming. Good energy, IMO.

And there's a milk can. I need one . . .

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Good morning ladies! ROFL Tilly, I'm so glad you can focus now!
Thank you Katie! I have 3 milk cans and one cream can. They're perfect for setting potted plants in. I take the pots out of the cans when I water though so the cans don't rust through the bottom. I love 'em! That is a rose hedge. On the thread that I had deleted someone asked me how many yrs did I have invested to get my dream garden. My reply was 20 yrs of blood, sweat and tears. Now you know why I posted that reply. I don't know how many times I've been poked and scratched by the thorns from that hedge, but I wouldn't get rid of it for the world. It's gorgeous in the summer, it only blooms once in June and it has pink four petal flowers. It's native to this area it's a Woods Rose, I'll have to google it again to find out what the name is again. lt's in the background in the second pic, it's pretty thick as you can see.
Susan

Thumbnail by gardener105
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

OK, l googled it and lo and behold the description was on DAVES GARDEN, GO FIGURE! LOL! lt's called Rosa Woodsii. Mine is at least 8 ft tall and still growing! In the winter Sparrows use it for cover from Shrikes, Cooper's and Sharp Shinned Hawks. As you can see, I call it my living hedge. LOL!
Susan

Thumbnail by gardener105
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

morning...
what a nice place for your sparrows. i bet its gorgeous in the summer.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

shokami2, you need to scroll back up to the top and look at the second pic with the hedge in the background. :-)
Susan

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

that whole hedge gets filled in too with sparrows? awesome!!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Yep! ^_^ They really get noisy too when they're ALL singing at once!
Susan

This message was edited Apr 4, 2008 11:08 AM

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

IMO, every yard should have a thicket or two for the birds. That's why I like the quince and the forsythia. I can thin them out every now and then, but, for the most part, they provide nice little hiding and playing spaces for the birds.

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I can't wait until we have finished doing our border widening project and everything starts flowering.......................
We have planted 200+ plants in 3 days................. still more to plant yet!!!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/819439/

Mark

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

You guys is crazy!!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

http://www.nwplants.com/business/catalog/webcat_color2007.pdf

Great picture of rosa woodsii on page 38. It's native . . .

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Katie, I have a milk can. I had it filled with birdseed in my front hall. I had put in a kind they didn't like and moved my feeder to the other side of the house, so it set there for a few years. It is lined with a garbage bag but the seed solidified and now it's still sitting in the garage and I really don't want to handle the job of digging it out. Wonder if a blow torch would melt it out? ^_^

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Katie........................... yep, we is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Susan, now I can focus on one. LOL
Just love your yard, And you should ear mark that Heage of sparrows for the Photo contest, coming up in Nov.
Happy Gardening
^_^
Tills

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Patricia, I'm beginning to think that I'm the only person who doesn't have an old milk can laying around somewhere. LOL

Okay, somebody please tell me - can you really see the sparrows in the hedge? Is it in the center of the photo or more to the right?

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Katie, there must be 25 birds in the pic. the last one posted. or I need new glasses LOL

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you, Mary. I thought when Susan said the second pic, she meant the second one from the top of the thread. LOL. I hadn't looked that carefully at the second of the two pictures she posted this morning. I feel better.

And I agree with Mary, Susan, you should put that one in the running for the photo contest. And you should post it to the birdwatching thread, too. They will love it.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Katie didnt think of that, good job. I think is cool

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Katie, I don't have a milk can, either. :)

But I did lose count of the birds in the hedge...:)

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

You and me, Sue. We'll have to negotiate with Gordon for ours, methinks.

I'm now fixated on the hedge picture. I love those little white bellies standing out. Are they sparrows or chickadees or juncos?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Sparrows or chickadees, methinks. My juncos are a lot darker than those fat round white tummies.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I never saw a Chickadee sit for very long, and I thought they were smaller?

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

We posted same time, our am I thinking something else?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

They are small and they don't sit for long when they're at the feeder. But I don't know about nap time. LOL And it's hard to get scale from a picture. But maybe you're right, maybe sparrows. So cute.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm having a hard time with relative size in that picture. They're bigger than my favorite chickadee, the chestnut backed chickadee-(they look like they're wearing little vests-so cute!) I know that they have some birds we don't have over here, but I don't know east-side birds too well.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I don't know eastside birds that well, either. I love the image of them having little vests (maybe with little pocket-watch chains sticking out) on. I always feel bad that they're out in the cold. Helps to think of them with little wool vests on. :-)

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Okay we are talking Birds, I have a Q, The other morning getting ready for work and look out the window and saw a bunch of little birds all over my Ceder, hanging on upside down, sideways, look like a bunch of ants, just having a ball one the tree. they where hard to see through the window, tiny brownish in color. I was wishing I was outside with my camera, then I saw one that was bright yellow with black outlines on the wings, had to be the male. I'm not that great on birds. does anyone know what they where?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.