Help with Florida Sieboldii

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

So, I was just browsing through Chalk Hill's website, looking at all the purty flowers and I clicked on the Florida Sieboldii picture, which is one I have on order with Silver Star Vinery. Supposed to receive it this week.

Chalk Hill's comment is: "the florida varieties can be tempermental and are not recommended for beginning clematis growers."

So, oh wise and talented Clem experts, can you give me any tips for keeping this tempermental beauty thriving? I'm definitely a beginner!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I would not listen to them. This was the first one Debbie suggested for me. ( I live in the desert with miserable hot weather and it can get down right cold) I plopped it in the ground and as of this moment it is covered in buds!! I do nothing to it forget to water sometimes (it was not put in a bed but in the middle of the corner of my yard) and it is now thriving!! I will post a picture later tonight if I can remember.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

That's good to hear. I'll hope that Chalk Hill is wrong, or perhaps it's that Debbie's clems are just so healthy to start with! :) Hopefully mine will do as well as yours.

It gets very hot and occasionally pretty cold here, too, the difference would be that we're very humid. Hopefully it'll be okay with that!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Digi..Not at all..It's a pruning group 3 and very vigorous..you'll love it..I know I love mine!!..It's is suited for our warmer zones...we are fortunate with this one as it can't take the colder zones...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Yay! Glad to hear it! I should be getting it any day and am going to stick it right into the ground!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Jeanne what rose is yours with? I love that combo!!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Jeanne, the details on this one say full sun. Do you find that's true even here with our intense summers? I have a couple different places I could put it and want to get it in the right place.

For that matter, do you have *any* clematis that can actually take full, Houston, all-day sun?

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

What a beautiful combination Jeanne.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks yall..that is rosa "Angel Face" that I have planted next to my clematis and allowed some canes to "climb" and stay long to grow with "Florida Seiboldii"...My FS is in filtered morning light and afternoon full sun..
Most of my clematis are in half a day sun but I do have some pruning group 3's in full sun...Clematis "Galore","Kerminsia","Tie Dye","Venosa Violacea","Voluceau","Sunset","Solina"..mostly the pruning group 3's..I do have a "Ramona","Josephine" in full sun..can people here see our Journals? If you can here is my link...I still have more to add on my journal..just waiting for them to bloom to add pics
http://davesgarden.com/tools/journal/viewbycat.php?cat=44160

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey, everybody, just wanted to give you an update on the Florida Sieboldii.

It's been planted for a couple of weeks and has been growing leaps and bounds! It's almost to the top of the trellis already, and has several different vines growing. I counted 3 little tiny buds starting up, too!

We'll see how it does once the hotter weather hits and on into the winter, but it's certainly starting out strong. I'd say it's the most vigorous one I have right now. Not hard, like Chalk Hill indicated, at least not yet! Whew!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I have one coming in a few weeks from Debbie. Hope it will do
OK up in the PNW. A little cooler here than TX. It sure is beautiful!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I would think a little cooler would be better. We're having really nice weather right now, but when it starts heating up, it'll probably be tough on the clemmies.

If you can get one that's going to do well, though, it's going to be one from Silver Star! Both of them that I got from here were in excellent shape - big, healthy and with amazing, strong root systems.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Beehive..I don't know what your zone is but Clematis Florida "Sieboldii" does well in zones 7 & up...any colder than that and they are either greenhouse grown or planted in a warmer micro-climate part of your garden and well mulched for winter protection...Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.