Spring is in the Air and the Dirt

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Show us your Spring. All pictures welcome.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Please post pictures of your spring blooming bulbs and anything else that says spring to you.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sedum in my rock wall.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Gotta love the bright fresh green of the sedum Except where it "attaches" itself to the base of my other plants-gets in the nooks and crannies!
I don't think I've ever gotten this close to my crocuses before but I did the other day and was amazed at the...stigmas? those center orange things wide open. I thought Chantell and Becky would like this shot.

Thumbnail by sallyg

and wondering if anybody else has these daffs and knows a name for them Tall, early...
Yes Gita, I know, who cares! about official names?!?

Thumbnail by sallyg
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, I have never particularly noticed the stigmas of my Crocus but I will be looking. I have a similar daff but I think it is a later blooming daff and of course I have no idea of the name. I would have included another picture but today is a cold rainy dreary day and I'm not going outside until I have too. LOL

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes sallyg, the feathery looking parts are the stigmas (at the end of a "style"...) Here's a neat page about crocus flower anatomy:

http://www.thealpinehouse.fsnet.co.uk/crocus%20pages/Crocus%204.htm

This message was edited Apr 4, 2008 11:38 AM

Thumbnail by claypa
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Sally - I DO like that shot :)

claypa- thanks- some eye poppin pics there! I guess my Turtle BOTN 101 did its job eh?

OOOHH!! Hostas appearing today!! Not big, not all but still!!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I'm very excited, it is cold and rainy today but I went outside to snoop around and noticed that one of my new Iris reticulata 'Harmony' that I planted last fall is showing some color, if the weather improves like he weather guy said it will I may have a picture to post here this weekend.

claypa, who would have dreamed there are such variations in the center of a crocus, thanks for the link, and to Sally for posting the pic to get this all started.

Here it is! Iris reticulata 'Harmony'

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Pulmonaria Mrs Moon, getting ready to bloom.

And my collection of crocus

pale blue that has been blooming a long time.

among the Tinkling toadstools

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Lady, I love your Iris reticulata 'Harmony' . Last year I got some from a plant swap. Not sure what variety but they are Iris reticulata. Can't wait for them to bloom.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, I know they are weeds and I am pulling them by the handfuls out of my garden but......

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

They are pretty

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Vinca minor

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

holly- you and me both on the speedwell! both comments apply

Another picture of my Iris reticulata 'Harmony' . I think I should have clumped them together, but I was hoping they will multiply.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I love those little reticulatas. I need to get me some blue ones. I have purple. Here's some of my daffs.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Pink daffs

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Another batch of pink daffs

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

A miniature daff, a blue grape hyacinth that apparently got lonely over the winter and a Toronto greigii tulip

Thumbnail by hart
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful, hart. Love the white daff. I don't think I've ever seen a grape hyacinth flower without foliage before. One of my neighbors has hundreds of those Toronto tulips, they're neat.
Saw this bloodroot flower today:

Thumbnail by claypa
Shenandoah Valley, VA

OOO, pretty! I had a strange little teensy plant show up next to my pond and this spring it has a bloom. It looks just like that and I'm certain it's bloodroot. It either came in with another plant or seeded itself there because I don't think there's any growing anywhere around here.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's my perennial Fern's new growth unfurling....

Will take more pictures....gotta run! Be at work by 6AM.....sit there and stare at the walls for 3 hours before the rest of the World wakes up.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Just a few pics from my new bed.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I can't do anything in the yard without help.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A few of the tulips are comming up.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Shenandoah Valley, VA

That's a gorgeous daff, Holly. I like that grey furry thing you're growing too. LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That's Bubbles, She is a very old cat, although you would never know to see her and she sure doesn't look like or act like and old cat. She always helps me with my weeding and quite often sleeps on Ric's chest. LOL
Daffs are one of my favorites and I have quite a few different types and just ordered a lot more from the co-op.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is the whole bed. Can't really see the different daff from this angle. There are a couple different kinds blooming now and more to come. The clematis are coming up, too. I was very pleased that two of the ones from last year are coming back. I really wasn't sure they were pretty little.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Ooh, I want to play, too!

This is the last daff left blooming in my yard

Thumbnail by Kubileya
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

And this is the last hurrah of my PJM Rhodie

Thumbnail by Kubileya
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Firespray tulips

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Donald duck tulips

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Jen where did you get the Donald Duck Tulips? He is my favorite charter, I have Mickey mums. And I love the color too.
And the red one just pop out of the picture, WOW

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I ordered them from Breck's about 3 years ago. I know some people don't like Breck's but I've never had a problem with them. If something doesn't grow just call them up and they give you a refund/new bulbs no questions asked.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.