wondering about fertilizers...

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I really like the plant tones. But what kind of fertilizers does everyone else use? And why??? I like the tones line cause it was recomended by a very reputible garden center here in Kalamazoo. They have the holly tones, rose tones, blood tone.... and so on. It works very well and you can use it one the grass its a all in one fertilizer. It kinda stinks but doesnt all ferties?? Its getting to be that time of year to start thinking about it you know Spring!!! Have a gret day Ronna

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

The tones are natural to arent they. I here all good things about them. I think my superphosphate is a tone product.

I dont use to many ferts! Im gonna use lots of manure this year. 12-12-12 has always been around. Ive used it here and there.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I like Osmacote because it is a slow release and works for 90 days I think. I'm not good about remembering to fertilize as often as I should so that works for me. I also use Messenger on everything. I spray the foliage with it. In the veggie garden I put a 10-10-10 or 12-12-12 broadcase and tilled in early and that's it. I put a lot of dried chopped leaves in the fall in there and till them under. A few time a season I'l mix up some awful smelling fish emulsion and spray the flower garden down with it. Sort of perks everyone up. I like to do fertilizing after a rain. I won't ever fertilize when it's been dry and hot. I use most early in the season.

Brenda

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Ive heard great stuff about messenger. You can get it on dg classifieds too.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Ive never used messanger but have seen it on the co-ops and classified maybe i should invest some! just ordered garden gloves.... yes, getting close... will probably be throwing ferty on pretty soon. Ronna

Traverse City, MI

Every year our rose society mixes over 3,000 lbs of organic fertilizer in a cement mixer. We weigh and package it in 25lb. buckets and it's our big fundraiser. The stuff's terrific - we use bonemeal, fishmeal, cottonseed meal, bloodmeal, alfalfa, and azamite. I buy about 200 lbs. a year and use it on all my roses and many of my perennials. This year my husband and I are going to experiment and use it on half of our lawn to see if it does as well or better than the chemical fertilizer, which we prefer not to use. I've used the organic mix for 8 years now and my sandy garden soil is now rich and dark and crumbly and my roses are amazing. It's nice to know that the product that does all that is actually good for the earth and not a pollutant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.