Can you help identify?

Buford, GA

These little seedlings have turned up in one of my beds. We have not been in the house a full year yet and I have no idea what it is. The photos are a little blury. I will try to get better ones tomorrow. They are everywhere and most likely a weed but I am curious what it is. The leaves are jagged and have a slight red tinge.
Any ideas?

Thumbnail by jsknutson
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

can't really see much...sorry.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Can you pull one up gently to see if it has a white running root with a white bulb attached? You may need to "spoon" it out of the ground to see if it does so as not to break off too much of the runner. That's if it's what I think it is. The picture of those seedlings doesn't appear to have it's true set of leaves yet. Hard to tell but if it's the same as what I've got, You don't want it! My junk runs amuk everywhere around my pond gardens, in the water as a floater and, throughout my yard until the centipede grass chokes it out.

Buford, GA

I did pull one up and it does have white roots with a little "bulb" in the stem. The one I pulled was slightly more mature and the leaves were thick, almost like a succulent- but the leaves don't look like any succulent I've seen.

I will definitely get a better pick today.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Get a really good picture of the roots and that bulb. Do you have any mature leaves? They will stand about 8 to 10" tall and will complete cover an area. I'll try to get out today with my camera and take pictures of the monster.

Buford, GA

Okay more pics. I pulled a bunch up. Has to be a weed. Its everywhere!

Thumbnail by jsknutson
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh yes, I agree, a weed! It will literally run everywhere too!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Wish we knew the name of it though and how to get rid of it. I noticed your bulbby things are dark colored. Mine are white. Wondering if we have the same kind of weed.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hers have a shell covering them, do yours?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

No shell, but now that you mention it, I've seen those kind too. Grrrr

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

its tree seelings. i dont know the name of my tree but it blooms little white flower clousters and then it produces hundreds i mean hundreds of those. i can go out and find them now in the bed under the tree and show the little seed thingy.

ive never thought about the tree but it came with the house but it seems all the little seeds produce. love the tree but dont like the offspring from it.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Ok then, my stuff's not the same thing. I'm glad this thread got started though. I need to pull some of mine up and get them id'ed so I can find a way to get rid of it. It's taking over the water in my pond. Already covered up two water lily plants. :(

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I think I see one of the winged seed carriers on the left side still attached...great to know!

Buford, GA

Upon closer inspection of some of these guys, the "seed pod" is opeing up with the true leaves. Those are the fat succulent ones. I guess I will leave some of them in place for a while to see what they do. This bed is at the end of our driveway and gets runoff from the neighbors yard. They could be a thousand things I'm sure. Nothing good ever grows that easily though. :)
Thanks for the help!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

The seeds look very similar to acorns. Is there an oak tree in this location?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

They do look like little pin oaks, I think.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Oak seedlings..

Larkie

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Oak seedlings! That's a relief. If only mine where, I'd open a forest. I love the colors of pin oak leaves in the fall. jsknutson, I'm so glad you now know what you have and your "weed" is controllable.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Here's my junk! Alligatorweed!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/830427/

Buford, GA

An oak? What will I do with an oak. If only I could replace the pines with oaks I would be thrilled. Cest la vie. I will let it ride for a while and see what a couple of the seedlings produce. I wish I could have one of those beautiful oaks covered in spanish moss. Of course the spanish moss does not grow in the northern part of the state.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

That actually looks like carolina cherry laura.I didn't think first year oak would get that long. Mike

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Id this for me please? I 'borrowed' a cutting from a tree near my house.
Thanks, Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.