Lanceleaf Coreopsis (?)

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

hi guys,
this is my first time to this forum, lots of great posts! i was at on old homesite today and there were tons of these flowers, i think they are lanceleaf coreopsis. anyway, they are native to texas. i dug up a couple of bags and am planning on transplanting them into my mixed border. from what i read, they will bloom for much longer if you deadhead them, i am a serial deadheader! my daughter is always getting on to me because i will start deadheading in Lowe's! first, are these lanceleaf coreopsis? what do you think of my plan, will they do well in a regular mixed bed, not a wildflower garden? it seems to me that i have seen pretty much these same flowers being sold at the local big box stores for $6 a pot! do the hybrids bloom longer? thanks for any info you might have.

tracie

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Tracie, I believe what you have is Coreopsis lanceolata as you suspected, sometimes it is hard to tell from a picture, here is a link for you to look at, and congratulations on your lucky find.
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=COLA5

Josephine.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2008 10:56 PM

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I too am a "serial deadheader" and have to stop myself in others yard or nurseries! I have transplanted regular coreopsis in my yard and they do bloom much more if you keep them deadheaded. Good luck!

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I deadhead my coreopsis and they bloom almost all summer. They go into a little rest period when the temps get real hot but come back toward the end of summer when it "cools back down" to about 90. I have some coreopsis that looks exactly like yours and I did pay about 5 or 6 dollars for it at a big box store! Lucky you for finding the freebies. BTW, they self seed quite freely so you will have lots to share or move to other areas by next year if you don't remove all of the seed heads. I leave a few if I want extras.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

thank you all for the information! i shared a bag of plants with my neighbor and she was very happy! i am always on the lookout for free plants, i spend waaaay too much of my budget on them! lol

tracie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.