eggs chirping

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

You all wish me luck. My eggs started chirping tonight. Yep, they are scheduled to hatch tomorrow, and I am crossing my finger, toes and anything else I can that I get a good hatch. This is my first time hatching chicks, so I am very eggcited about it.

No pics yet, but will have some when I take them out of the hatcher into the temp brooder. I am using a box with a heating pad and a towel for that. Used this method to hand raise a premature puppy we had when we raised beagles. It works very good.

Lodi, United States

Congratulations, Granny! How many do you have now?

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Fingers Crossed! Hope all are lively and healthy. :-)

Lincolnville, ME(Zone 5a)

Beagles? Your poor thing. We had them too. Good luck with your peeps, won't be long now. Don't get too anxious once they start to pip, seems like most of mine pipped and then took about 8-12 hours before they did anything again, and once they started to peck the shell again hatched within 5 minutes. What are these, Seramas? Sorry I forget things more lately...

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Best wishes to you Granny!!

MollyD

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

Okay, here we go. I have 27 eggs in the bator. 1 has hatched out already. Waiting on the others. They are Black Australorps or RIR/Australorp crosses. Won't know until later if any are Rocky's babies or not.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

26 to go!! I'm as excited as if they were mine. Can you do pictures Granny?

MollyD

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

Yes, and will do them after I put them in the temp brooder. So far what this one looks like is a straight Australorp. Don't really know if Rocky is shooting blanks or not. Will have to wait, and am sitting on pins and needles with it, too.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Good luck with that! Sounds like you are in for a long night!

MollyD

Lodi, United States

I wonder what RIR/Australorp chicks will look like? It sounds like a great cross. And it sounds like you are having great success. You are using a Hoverbator, right?

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

Yep, I am using a Hovebator. Had the egg turner in it till Friday and then just put them on the screen. Got a hygrometer and was able to keep a check on the RH with it. Had to place it on the turner, so wasn't able to use two of the holes for eggs. But that was okay too.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

yippee! happy for you! waiting to hear...

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

The first quartet in the temporary brooder. Oh, I forgot the ratio of sugar to water to start them off on.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2008 7:15 AM

Thumbnail by granny_goody

Good job GG - Knew you could do it!

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

Yepper...and two more since those. And don't know how many more, but most are pipping. DH just went out to start the fire in the woodstove in the garage where we have the big brooder and raising pen. They will be there until about July and then move to the outdoor pen and temp henhouse.

Conroe, TX

What an adorable set of babies.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Granny I've been reading on the sugar water! It's 1/2 cup of sugar for 1 gallon of water. Feel like a just got the right answer on an exam LOL

MollyD

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

Thanks all. I also think they are adorable.

And, Molly, thank you too.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Granny last night I could barely sleep from excitement at getting my chicks. I can only imagine how excited you are at hatching yours!!

MollyD

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

Yep. And we now have 11, and more rocking around in the hatcher.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Let's see 11/27 leaves 16 to go! They're hatching pretty fast!

MollyD

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

Yep, but they slowed down now. Only got one more since the last post. They've pipped, but probably resting for a bit. Still haven't counted all that have pipped, either. Might do that in a few.

Having to adjust the RH every little while as it is rising when they get out of their shells. So, checking about every half-hour. Will have to move them to the big brooder probably tomorrow morning. (they're getting too crowded in the temp brooder) ;o))

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Isn't it a nice feeling that so many are hatching that it's getting crowded :-) ?

MollyD

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

Yes it is, but I had it on the seat of the shower (that's where we put the incubator to keep critters away), and they all piled on one end and dumped it off the seat. No damage to them that I can find, but it is now on the floor of the shower.

One thing, we might put them out tonite...otherwise we might not get any sleep again. They have to be Bruno's kids...they won't shut up!!!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

noisy = cold, would be my guess. they usually sleep a lot the first 48 hours, so try them in a warm dry place till they get their bellies all closed up and get a good nap. then you might sneak in a nap too. you must be one tired chickenMama!

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Granny how about a card table to keep them off the floor?

MollyD

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

not too tired, actually, must be the adreline working. Like I said, might have to put them in the big brooder tonite. Of course now they have shut up.

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

Molly, there is no way to put a card table in the shower stall where we have them. It is a two person shower with seats on both sides but enough room for a tv table in the middle. the temp brooder is now on the floor of the shower under the tv table.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Oh dear. Hope they continue doing well for you.

MollyD

Johnson City, TX(Zone 8b)

Congratulations Granny!!! I'm so happy for you! Isn't it just
the most eggciting thing when you hatch your own. I've lost
count, but so glad you have so many thus far. Keep us
posted. They are adorable. Yippee! Go chicks!

Granny,
Can you put an old window screen over the top and weigh it down so the "critters" are unable to prey on the hatchlings?

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

Nope. but I am going to take them out and put them in the big brooder in a few minutes. At least the ones that are dry. then I will deal with the others as they hatch. Count now is at 17...10 more to go if all hatch. YIPPEE!!!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

great news... don't forget we'll want another picture!

Any of the other eggs pipped yet GG?

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

Yep...now at 18, and 7 have pipped but not hatched yet. Two haven't pipped, and may not. Will wait till tomorrow or Wednesday before tossing them.

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

Okay, just took this picture. It isn't very good as everything kept getting in the way. But at least you can see some of them.

Thumbnail by granny_goody
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

yes GG, those are BAs.

these are the size spots you have on sexlink roos...

i was secretly hoping all that white meant blue australorps... i have since heard that Privett also claims to have White Australorps, wonder what those are LOL

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

thanks, TF, I was hoping to have a RIR/BA cross, but probably won't. (sigh)

Am going to get some Buff pullets when they come in, so will probably set eggs next year and maybe get a cross then.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

well, if they ain't done hatching, you could still get a cross. you know we are loving our Buckhorn!

Johnson City, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow, Granny, they look Great! Any more since last night?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.