Today's Weather in Your Garden - 16

South Hamilton, MA

Was sunny, now clouds. Still cold & damp enough that my hands got cold weeding even with rubber covered gloves. On a break to warm up.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Sun was out for a short time but the clouds have won again. Managed to get the newly planted trees mulched but it got much colder when the sun started to hide. Just at 50 degrees now, feels colder.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I must be in the warm spot for a change! Yesterday we hit 74 and sunny all day. This morning it was sunny, then clouds rolled in for a bit. Sun is trying to come back out and it's 65 degrees. I didn't check it earlier so I can't say if this was the high or not today.

MollyD

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

We hit 62 today and it's still 60 right now. There was a brisk wind though which made it feel just a bit cooler, but was perfect for raking. I put on a yoga top to take advantage of the sunshine. We're forecast to reach 70 (!) tomorrow and I'm thrilled. I see on the radar that there may be some rain headed our way this evening. As long as it's sunny and warm tomorrow.....

South Hamilton, MA

Out for weeding the first time with Cape Cod weeder. Shoulder made me take Advil. More insistant than "the devil".

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

mamasita I have a sister in Hyde Park! Not terribly far from you ^_^

MollyD

Hey MollyD! Do you ever get the chance to visit her? There are some great gardens at the Vanderbilt Mansion. You can stroll the grounds and enjoy the view of the Hudson. I think they do a plant sale every year, but have never attended.

- Lynn

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Lynn I don't get down that way too often. We've got animals here plus over 1500 plants so it's hard to get away. She comes up to visit us.

MollyD

Lucky sister!!! I see you're a zone 4. What do you grow up in your area? Is it a farm? - Lynn

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Welcome, Molly! Was beautiful here today - mid 60's. Got lots done.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Very similar here victorgardener !

Lynn you might call it a hobby farm ^_^ We're not a real farm which needs 80+ acres to operate. We have 10 acres and a horse. We're getting geese and chickens in May and I'm looking around for some goat does. We want to raise the kids for meat for us. The chickens will give us eggs and chicks for meat. Same with the geese difference is the geese will stay for about 12 years before needing to be replaced. The chickens may last 2 to 3 years before they're stew or soup :-)

MollyD

I'll gladly take 10 acres!

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

LOL lots of brambles to deal with along with deer, rabbits, coyotes, foxes, bears etc. Makes gardening a challenge!

MollyD

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I was just thinking that Victor would love to have just half of that!

Even without gardening, I would love 10 acres.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Well there is lots of land for sale! The rougher the terrain the lower the price seems to be!

MollyD

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I bought this today to put on the newly aquired field....Colorado Blue Spruce.

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Too far to commute, Molly. Nice, Celeste! A full-size one?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Nope, a baby.. this one already has great shape and I want to put it near the pond that I've yet to build.

This message was edited Apr 9, 2008 6:34 PM

Nice Blue Spruce, pixie! They grow into such beautiful trees.

MollyD, I'd also love 10 acres. We have 2 here and consider ourselves lucky that a full 1+ is wooded with a major tributary to the Hudson runs the back of it. Our dream is to find acreage in the mid-south where the temps are a bit better and the growing season longer (for me). Your place sounds wonderful! - Lynn

Celeste - I meant will it grow large or is it a smaller one?

Thomaston, CT

Molly--what kind of plants are you raising? I know that's a good area for apples & grapes. The weather was nice today--62, & weak sun--but when I went out to BBQ at 6, it was cold & windy--forecast is for 70 & I have lots more raking to do. Would like to paint the fence in front of house, but it is a big project! Nice spruce, Pix---we had a full sized one & the birds loved nesting in it--we had kinglets for a few years in it. Now it is gone---it was much too close to the house, & a lightning magnet.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Lovely blooms, mrsj and Patti! Hope you both have a great trip!! And Eleanor - that is a gorgeous shot of your homeplace.

Molly - Welcome!! We were in Canandaigua last June for a close friend's surprise birthday party. It is such a lovely place!! We are happy to have you here!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Victor, it says 35' high and 15' wide....BIG, VERY BIG.

Mine is about 50 ft high and 20 ft wide.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Love the Colorado Blue Spruce. My DSD got married in Colorado where she lives, and at their wedding they gave little blue spruces as favors. We brought several back to NH and planted them up in our meadow. They are still fairly small in the scheme of things. I love their color.

I love the dwarf one, Fat Albert. I have a very small, globular one.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Victor - we had one of those for a Christmas tree and planted it. Over the years it grew to be a really lovely tree that we decorated outside each Christmas with birdseed ornaments I made, along with little red bows.

Fat Albert?

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

That's what the tag said, but it got to be about 6 feet tall and very full.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Temp 49.2°, Wind SE 4.1. ☺

Took a pm drive to the shore today. Winds were ~25 mph, substantial beach erosion & very, very cold. Rough Ocean.

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

OK, i swear, i was reading Molly's post, looked away for a second (i am easily distracted), and when i looked back at the screen, my eyes landed on:

Quoting:
We want to raise the kids for meat for us.

and it's a good thing i wasn't eating or drinking anything at the time!!!

Whew.
Hi Molly, i don't think i know you. i live in an apartment complex and get to garden about 40' along a wall, and bits & pieces i sneak in around the building. Can i just be jealous of one of your 10 acres?

amy

Still in the upper 50s with a strong wind. I see that there are scattered showers out there and as long as they occur during the night time hours, I'm fine with that.

Gee, WC, that is one nasty looking ocean. I hope things die down soon and you get to enjoy some nice weather.

Soylent Green, Amy??

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

"To Serve Man"

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

WC - I've never seen an ocean I didn't like!!

Ha, ha, ha! That's one of my husband's favorite movies. Gak!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

MollyD1953, Happy birthday and, yes, what are you growing 1500 of???

Donniebrook, Thanks for the trip well wishes. How can I not have a good time in New Orleans?

Victor, Our DS is working in a Restaurant called "August" but we don't know when we will see him, but I know he will get a day off sometime when we are there, maybe 2. But we can catch up with him after work at least, if I can stay awake that late. I haven't been there in nearly 50 years, but I think despite the horrors of Katrina, I will find it very special. DS is loving the place.

Today was a great day to work outside. I got more edging done, started cleaning out the shed and more of the endless raking. I am really hating the raking. I intended to pot up some seedlings, but no time or energy left at the end of the day. Weather may hold again tomorrow but we may have some showers. I need to plant the shrubs I got today from Fairweather. Perhaps there will be something in the name. Patti

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Watercan2, where did you take that picture??? Out east?? Clemen

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

ROFL! Love that to serve man! Amethystsm you must have been very startled when you first read that! LOL yes you may be jealous of one acre! If I were you I'd pick the one with the woods and creek.

ROBINDOG we grow daylilies (about 2000 as of this year) and over 118 different kinds of hostas.

DonnieBrook thank you for the welcome!

Thanks Lynn. We have about 6 acres of woods with a creek running through them. There is a meadow above there. That's about 2 acres. The area I garden is about 1 acre. The last acre is mostly our lawn area which I'm hoping to fill with a pond someday (soon perhaps!).

MollyD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.