Need help with Apple Tree

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

I went in to back field and seen on of my husbands apple tree had this white fuzz type of stuff on it... Any suggestions? I went out and used a funicide(sp) on it but never seen this before.
Thanks for any help.
Susan

Danville, IN

Got a photo? You could check with your local agricultural extension office.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

I am sorry this is the first I could get a picture of this as I cleaned it off... Here is a picture and they are not as many as the last time... Thank you for any help.
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, IN

Danville to Danville: Looks like cottony cushion scale. See if they move if you stare at them long enough, or poke them with a toothpick or twig. Easy to control with insecticide or systemic. There's a new systemic from Bayer called '12 Month Tree and Shrub Insect Control'. Safe for apple trees and easy to use. For sale everywhere, even at WalMart.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Danville, I knew after I killed and sprayed the last time they were alive... when I put them between my fingers they bleed or something close.... That you so very much...
Susan

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Is the Bayer Tree & Shrub approved for use on edibles? Personally I don't know if I'd want to use a systemic on something I was going to eat. Since the systemics are supposed to last many months, I don't think they'd be approved for use on edibles at all (typically when a pesticide is allowed to be used on edibles, there is a rule about how long before harvest you're allowed to use it to ensure that there's not a ton of pesticide left on the plant by the time someone might be eating it). Also, with most pesticides they're primarily on the outside of the plant so they can be washed off, but the systemics are absorbed through the roots and end up in the plant's tissues, so washing isn't going to get rid of them.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Is the Bayer Tree & Shrub approved for use on edibles?

If it isn't, then it shouldn't be used on anything at all!

Resin

Danville, IN

Actually, it is (I did check it before recommending it). Listed fruit trees are apple, mayhaw, pecan, oriental pear, pear, crabapple, quince, and loquat. I was surprised, and probably it would be a good idea to visit the company's website or call the info number before using. No other edibles are listed, such as citrus or berries.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Does it say anything on the label about days before harvest, etc? Just because it's OK to use on those plants doesn't mean that it's also OK to eat the fruits afterwards. I just really have a hard time believing that you can use it on something you're going to eat, sometimes people grow those sort of plants and don't eat the fruits, so I'd want to see something on the label saying how many days before harvest it was allowed to be applied to edible plants before I'd trust it. Although honestly knowing how systemics work I would never eat anything that was treated with one even if they said it was safe! (but to be fair, I generally won't eat stuff unless it was grown organically, and systemics are far from organic!)

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

If you actually believe that "organically grown" produce is pesticide free, you're buying into a scam. You've still ingested some sort of pesticide unless you've been a vegetarian forever, and have never eaten commercially grown produce.

There is no absolute guarantee that organic produce doesn't have some sort of chemical pollutants in it. They can come from the soil, the air, the water, or the hands of the people and/or machines that do the harvesting.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Give me some credit here, I'm well aware of that. You're missing my real point which is that I'm not at all convinced it's safe to eat fruit from a tree that's been treated with systemic pesticides.

Danville, IN

I'd be leery of systemics too, on fruit trees or any edible plants. That's why I recommend checking with their website or customer service number. Too bad Susan51's apple tree is leafing out, or she could just use dormant oil spray.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Have no fear I this tree will more then likely not get fruit this year... I am really thankful to know it is a bug...
Susan

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

In pesticide use, the label is the law. Any use other than what's spelled out on the label is considered a violation of Federal law. Of course, there isn't the pesticide police peeking into your garden either. The EPA has just given notice that several pesticides currently in common use are being banned from the market. One that comes to mind that I have occaision to use is Kelthane. There are several others such as Diazinon and Dursban. Also they are working with manufacturers to provide only RTU's. That's small "ready to use" packages, sprays or bottles of pesticides. The hope is to eliminate long stored bottles of pesticide concentrate where labels can get lost or the product deteriorates and has to be discarded before it fully used up. Personally, I'm not fond of the RTU's. They are over priced in my opinion and If you underestimate your need it's another darn trip to the store to finish the job. But, I'm all for keeping the stuff out of the landfills and storm drains and consequently out of our drinking water sources - both human and wildlife . All pesticides have a MSDS - Material Safety Data Sheet. They are easily available from many sources on the net. Just Google or Yahoo the product name and "msds".

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product/Tree-Shrub-Insect-Control/concentrate.html

I believe in careful, judicious use of chemicals in certain limited circumstances. Read the label and use only as a last resort and only for the uses permitted on the label. It's a good idea too to review the plant that's having the problem to see if a cultural practice like fall cleanup or increasing air circulation might eliminate the cause of the problem. I made the mistake of planting a tree peony too close to a wall that stayed wet from an overhead irrigation system. Like an idiot I battled leaf spot diseases with sprays until it dawned on me that I should move the plant. I'm a slow learner sometimes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.