That Gray Stringy Tree Moss

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I've asked this on other forums with no response. I hope I finally will get a response here. Here in the south east we have a lot of moss that grows in trees... especially oak trees. It's that gray stuff full of red bugs. I was wondering how well that would be for ground cover ... like instead of mulch to keep the moisture in. Has anyone tried this?

I had the opportunity to gather A LOT of this moss when we had a few trees cut down. I would use pine straw, but I have no pines in my yard, or even close to me. I always try to use what I have at hand. Previously I had been using that red cedar. But that gets expensive and I have more bed space to cover than ever. I am trying to get ground covering plants going, but that takes time, I grow most all my plants from seed or get them through trades.

Any ideas about this would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Donna

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Donna,

I used to live in Savannah,Ga where we had spanish moss growing in the live oak trees. If this is what you are talking about, I'm not sure that it would work as a ground cover. My understanding is that it isn't actually rooted in the trees, so I'm not sure that it would root in the ground. It is also full of red bugs which is where "bedbugs" came from when people used to stuff their mattresses with the moss - this was years before Sealy, Serta, and Simmons!

You might try doing a search for spanish moss. Or checking with a regional forum, where they are used to seeing this moss.

I don't need it to root in the ground. Just to lay there and be nice until I can get more ground cover plants growing and thriving.

Donna

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Tillandsias, the plant genus you are talking about, are called airplants because they get their nutrients from the air. They also pull moisture out of the air, so I'm not sure if they would be good for keeping moisture in or if they would try to use it for themselves. The only plants I've ever knows people to use spanish moss for is orchids, so the orchid forum might have some guidance on that.

If you need free pine straw or mulch, check freecycle and Craig's list. That's how I hooked up with my horse manure supplier. Also, check with your county's solid waste department as some of them take the yard waste and mulch it or compost it and then give it away.

Melanie

Melanie,

Thanks a lot!! You hit the nail right on the head. I do know that If you leave this moss on the ground for a while, chances are it will be moist underneath. Just my experience from picking it up. But you are correct, it might take away what I'm trying to keep in. I'll ask in the orchids forum. And thanks for the alternate suggestions.

Donna

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

If you put your Spanish Moss on the ground as cover, over time it would either rot (as it does at the bottom of the pile when it falls out of live oak trees) or dry out, as it would if used decoratively at the base of a indoor potted plant. It needs the conditions it grows in on the trees, just the right amount of moving air and humidity.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I would be concerned with moving the red bugs to where ever you were going to use it. Unless they are some type of beneficial.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I've always heard that red bugs thing is just a myth. Does anyone know what the red bugs actually are?

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

"Spanish moss makes a great mulch if you're lucky enough to garden within its range."
DonnaA2Z, the above quote comes from a website that gives a lengthy description about spanish moss, its culture, usage, etc.:

http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/till_usn.cfm

It also gives a warning at the very end, which states that there ARE little bugs in spanish moss--also, sometimes, snakes and lizards!

I used to live in Monterey, CA, which had LOTS of spanish moss hanging from the cypresses, oaks, and pines. Wish I'd been creative enough to think of using more of it!

Thanks for all the info!! I don't mind little bugs (had red bugs as a child) and I don't mind lizards (we have literally thousands of them). I've already crossed the path of a few snakes this year. If they aren't venomous, I leave them alone and they go away. If I'm unsure, I whack their head off and take pictures... I send the pictures to my dad and brother, they are the snake ID gurus.

Take care,
Donna

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

DonnaA2Z,
Girl, I only thought I was brave. YOU'VE GOT SOME SERIOUS GUTS!

Gymgirl,

I grew up on a ranch in south GA. We raised dairy cows. I was bringing home critters such as snakes at 5 years old. I never got bit. Lucky I suppose. It's really all in knowing the snakes and such that are around you. Which are harmful which are not. I use to sit and watch them for a long time some times to determine if I could actually pick them up. I had an older brother to my advantage. I started shooting a shot gun at 9. So, I grew up a "tom boy". Still am to a degree I guess. My dad taught me a lot, but he was a business man, not much of a farmer. My mom, she grew up as the daughter of a very poor share cropper in Alabama. So swimming in the pond with the snapping turtles and such wasn't a big deal! I just got big ovaries!!! :^)

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.