My Compost Piles Are Thawing!

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

It looks like it's finally going to warm up here over the next week. I covered my 3 compost piles with an estimated 200+ lbs. of coffee grounds yesterday and I should be able to turn them by the end of the week. The pile on the right is left over from last spring, the pile in the middle is my "new " pile and the one on the left will be ready to go this spring. The piles on the outside really didn't need the coffee grounds but I had enough to cover them all so I figured it wouldn't hurt. I placed a concrete block in the photo for size reference.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Rockport, ME(Zone 5b)

My soil was frozen solid today, so I couldn't do a thing. Grrrr! I just started my pile last year, so there's not a whole lot to work with. Have you ever considered using a bin? My Mom is trying to talk me into buying one, but I'm not convinced. So, obviously you don't have any problems with coffee grounds in the compost? AND WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE LEAVES??? I have so many oak trees around me, and the leaves never really seem to disappear. I have a lawn mower this year, so I hope to ground them up more than last year at least.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

I have tons of leaves too. In the past I piled them up and ran over them with my mulching mower which worked well. I got a great deal on a TroyBilt chipper shredder last summer and used it last fall with good results. It sure is faster.
I've thought about building some bins but piles on the ground seem to work well for me. I have way too much compost material to ever think about one of the commercial drum types.

Photo: Shredded leaves and plants from my shredder.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

What lovely, lovely piles of black gold you have there! We also have a chipper/shredder we use for the leaves, but you can chop them with a lawn mower. They don't have to be super fine, just helps them break down faster.

I need to get some pictures of our not bins......LOL DH had built me 2 bins out of recycled heavy wooden pallets he'd gotten from his job. They worked wonderfully, but he's fussing since they weren't "cooking" to suit him, so pulled the pallets and ran thru the piles with the Troybilt. It's looking good, but he's still fussing a bit. I keep telling him it will be fine, we're working with a lot more volume than before and just need to add more green to bring back the balance. Not been able to get many grass clippings this year, so have been using either cheap high protein dog food or alfalfa pellets as the "green". It will be fine. I've already convinced him to move the pallets to another area and we'll start again. LOL

We are still getting coffee grounds from Starbucks and veggie waste from one of our local mom and pop restaurants so I have plenty of material to work with. Most of our in house scraps are going in the Bokashi buckets. He did trench in one bucket of "cured" Bokashi and that end is starting to cook again a bit. LOL He's promised to build me some screens for the compost. I have no problem using the coarse stuff, but would like something a little less "lumpy" on my front flower beds. Poor man has honey do's coming out his ears! LOL

Rockport, ME(Zone 5b)

Cat, at least he's trying!! My landscaper last year was putting the grass clippings in the pile, but I can't afford to keep paying someone else to run over my geraniums (grrr), especially in my little lawn, so I bought a used mulching mower at Lowes in the fall. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet because it's still so darn cold. EB, that handful of lovely shredded stuff is very inspiring! My neighbor said she doesn't mind seeing the piles, and I really don't generate a lot of kitchen scraps, so the piles stay. I'd love to find a source of veggie scraps. Does the Mom and Pop place put them aside on a regular basis just for you?? Do you bribe them??

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

We've eaten there of and on for years. We supplied a couple of bins with lids and they fill them with potato peeling and other veggie stuff. Just ask, most places will look at you funny, but if you provide the containers and pick up regularly it's all good. I will be supplying this place with home grown organic tomatoes for a reduced price come summer. I've haven't had a big garden in years, but when I did, I supplied them with organically grown tomatoes, lettuce, peppers and onions all spring and summer. This is the local pizza parlor and those are home made steak fries to die for! LOL I can usually get help unloading the truck when I show up from the regular customers. We bring the baskets in thru the front and I've learned to bring extra, because the regulars will buy almost anything that's left. They do hoagies as well as pizza and the difference in the taste is very noticeable immediately. LOL A little side money for plants etc. We would like to try market gardening at the local Farmer's market this year, but I'm still waiting for some details on the set up. etc

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.