Info for a newbie?

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping for some direction from you folks who have grown carnivorous plants. Within the next 2-3 months I will have an enclosure formerly for box turtles. It measures 36 x 36 x 18. Glass is on 4 sides and bottom with a 1/4" hardware cloth on top, it has wooden dowels over the mesh so it can support light fixtures and/or cats that might jump on it.

I am researching the possibility of growing carnivorous plants inside of it. The whole thing will be indoors with only indirect sun. It will be easily altered to retain more humidity by placement of plexiglass over most of the screened top. Since I keep and breed boa constrictors that require high humidity, temperature gradients, and seasonal photo periods I thought I might be resposible enough to create a tropical environment suitable for these plants. I do have a reasonable level of gardening and have begun reasearching the needs and types of plants that will do well with what I can and am willing to provide. I can't imagine that it could be much harder than keeping the moderately difficult snake I have had success with.

I've got a hundred questions....thought I'd ask just a few so that I can get a feel of where I need to be next.

*Could someone please name a few plants that would not require a dormacy period? (don't know if there are any)
*Recommended books, websites, or such to help me decide if this will work? (found a few and ordered a book so far)
*Suggestions for the enclosure other than plants or reptiles?

Thanks in advance for any replies, this subject seems slow (read all the first dozen pages) and seems to pick up in the summer. I'd like to get the conditions right before bringing in the little plants.

I will have to order, beg, or bargain for all the live stuff to go in this bed so suggestions will be welcomed.

Waterbury, CT

(Edited, I see, your not using it for the turtles.)

I would suggest doing the carnivorous plants separately. Most carnivorous plants need a lot of light.

Two websites would be terraforums.com and http://icps.proboards105.com/

This message was edited Mar 30, 2008 3:20 PM

Quoting:
The whole thing will be indoors with only indirect sun.
This may very well be a major stumbling block. Are you in a position to provide supplemental lighting otherwise you might be severely limiting yourself in the CP selection department?

The website to the ICPS recommended by CTMGGardener is very good. Have you found your way to their FAQs?
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html
Might help you narrow down your hundred questions if you were able to start there. It's an easy read and will provide you with a spring board to move onward.

Although I don't have time to be a member or post, I find good solid information at this particular herp site when I land there from searches-
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=12d16b5a1a2536d10ec3790048f70555
You did indicate the area you were going to use had been formally used by box turtles however I mention the above site in the event it is your intent to include different herps in the area once you are in a position to select appropriate CPs.

Good book to start with would be-
http://davesgarden.com/products/gbw/c/2584/

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info, the book has been ordered and I am in the process of exploring the suggested links. I am willing to artificial light with proper bulbs. The reptile link is one that I wasn't familiar with...and I participate on a forum for my snakes. Actually, the other idea I have for this enclosure is dart frogs or fancy geckos.

Thumbnail by Sunshines2day
Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

Sunshine, the snake is pretty, what kind is it? I don't mind snakes, as along as they don't surprise me! Never had any pet snakes tho. Several years ago, the kids captured a small gardener snake, it escaped in the basement, that really wasn't appreciated...
I'm new to bogs also. Was hoping to have some pictures, things aren't working out tho. After all the work, I sure hope it works out! Good Luck with your projects.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

7oaks,
That pic is of one of the babies from the litter of '06. It is a Brazilian Rainbow Boa at 1 month old. They actually color up their 1st year and become less brownish and more orangish/red. That particular baby was the nicest marked/colored of the litter.
Thanks and I hope your season is nice too.

Thumbnail by Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

My Growing Carnivorous Plants book by Barry Rice is now in my possession. Pretty nice book, lots of awesome photos. I'm looking forward to reading it this weekend. They remind me of creatures from the deep sea. Although they are fascinating, at this point I'm not convinced I can properly care for these. These plants seem more like animals then plants, and I have plenty of creatures already.

I do appreciate the responses and hope that folks continue to offer suggestions to newbies regardless of their "stupid" questions. Everyone has to start somewhere. A book is my favorite place.

I am convinced there is no such thing as a stupid question.

You'll be able to properly care for carnivorous plants out the gate if you narrow down your new found obsession to a handful of plants. You think you won't but you will so don't get nervous. Seriously, if you select only a few plants that you believe you might have a good shot at not killing based on having read the FAQs above and Barry's book and work with those for a bit before buying more... you'll have a surprisingly low death toll. Otherwise do what most of us have done and go hog wild and buy what ever tickles your fancy and be indoctrinated by fire. You'll learn as much from killing these plants as you will from growing them successfully.

Just a suggestion, what about contacting this person who is with DG-
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/4960/
Ask him if he's got a nice Nepenthes that you could order from him to grow hanging over your kitchen sink. There are a few highlands and intermediates that might be good choices but I'm sure he'll be able to guide you. I've got several Neps growing at room temperature and humidity and they are pitchering quite nicely with little or no fuss. I've pretty much moved away from Neps because they get too big too fast and I ended up having to pass them on. I keep a few because I really love them and try to cut them back which seems to stimulate basal growth and allows me to hang onto them a little bit longer before giving them away. They simply get too big for my home is what the problem is but it doesn't stop me from lusting for them. They sure do make a nice conversation piece hanging over my sink and the kids run in with insects to drop in the pitchers over summer so they're additionally good wholesome family fun. The kids love to show their friends how they can feed the plants. I like everything about Nepenthes other than that most get too big too fast. Sort of like the cute little puppy people bring home that grows to over a hundred pounds in no time flat.

Pinguicula agnata would be another great windowsill ledge plant for you to try. Save on shipping costs and consider ordering a P. agnata 'True Blue' from Cascade if you're going to try a Nep.

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

Sunshine, I too am full of questions with this new adventure. Each step brings on more. Next week I'll be receiving my newly adopted rooted kids, so hoping they grow like mad and get real unruly! I also, am nervous about killing them tho. I will be adding to my post 'New Nebraska Bog', on things I've learned thus far. I'll cross my fingers for you as well as myself....

Whatcha getting 7oaks???

editing to add, I see you're going to update your bog thread and I've got that on watch so I'll wait to see what you post over there! How exciting! New rooted bog babies!

This message was edited Apr 12, 2008 12:18 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.