Soil PH questions and composted beds

Louisville, KY

I have been redoing my garden beds. I had in the past put pot ash on the beds and it seems to really keep the plants from feeding. It has now been a few years sense that was done and I have been filling my beds with leaves. I use this to protect my tender plants and for composting. It seem now my beds are at least 6 inches of good compost or more and a around 1 to 2 foot of leaf litter material that is not as decomposed. I have more leaves this year than in years past. I am wondering if this is over done and if I should remove a large portion of the unrotted leaves on top. I plan to spread them out more but am not sure if the plants will suffocate under to many leaves?

My other question is I am growing tropical plants such as Bananas cannas and Colocasias. What is the best PH for these plants. I have heard in the past they like it a bit on the acidic side. I am guessing adding the leaves should help does anyone know the best possible PH number for these plants? I have grown them good in the past but I am hoping to produce the best possible situation for them to max out in size. Here is a photo of the beds in late summer.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Here is the exact same bed in winter. I am able to over winter a lot of the plants with the heavy mulching of leaves which turns into good soil by the end of summer.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Here is another summer shot. I use all the old foliage from each years growth to put in to compost piles in the back. I found that if used in these beds they tend to take to long to break down. I do add the rotted compost back in the beds from time to time.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Here is the same view in winter with the mulching and protection.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Your plants are just beautiful. It seems that you should keep doing what you are doing!

This is my first year blowing leaves on the beds without shredding them first. I did notice that they have not broken down yet. I don't want to take anything off yet, because I want the ground to warm up further, but I was wondering about this today. I don't have a compost pile so that isn't an option.

I'm thinking that I might just leave the leaves alone under a new layer of mulch, if it isn't deep enough to interfer with the new growth. If it is too heavy, then I may get the lawnmower out and mulch them. I probably won't be adding additional mulch until May when I plant my annuals and perennials.

I would be interested in hearing what others are going to do in this situation.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

bwilliams, sounds like your doing everything right. Try adding a little organic nitrogen to the compost and watch it take off.

Louisville, KY

I have been adding tons of coffee grounds to the beds. What would be the perfect PH for this bed?

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I think so, coffee grounds are good for nitrogen.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

BW, looks to me as if you are doing everything right. The plants look healthy and vigorous. I do know that Oak leaves with make it more acidic. As far as specific PH requirements couldn't you just Google the individual type of plant and find that info? I really wouldn't worry too much as I said they already look very good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.