SE MI swap??

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

I have a ton of extra seedlings this year and am wondering if there is a SE MI plant swap thingy?? Sorry-had to put my fave pic up!!

Thumbnail by Fairy1004
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

there is one in the Detroit area around mothers day-Paulgrow will post the info soon Im sure!

Been tossing the idea of one here again but not sure if i will have time!

Deann was thinking one up her way in tawas area-maybe!

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

that's a lovely picture! Wine and roses??? Too bad you don't live on the west side; there's a gal that holds a really good one in Wayland. Helen

THanks Dori-I was wondering if there would be one in or around Det....
Yes it is Wine & Roses-my FAVORITE thing we inherited with the house we live in!! I moved some things and now have a purple daylily to the left of it and golden and dragon's blood sedum under it.... I couldn't believe how beautiful it was or how many hummers it attracted!! The west side one sounds like fun, but like 3.5 hrs. away!!

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Wine and Roses ...... what type of plant is it? Really beautiful!

Weigela-THANKS!!

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

I have at least a couple a year over here in SE Michigan.
Here are the details. HOpe to see you there:
Sat. May 31st, 10am-noon at Marine City Lighthouse Park, downtown on Water St. Google 475 S. Water St. for a map.

Sat. June 7th, 9am-noon MSU Macomb Plant Swap, on Macomb County MSU Extension
Verkuilen Building, 21885 Dunham Road - Suite 12
Clinton Township, Michigan

Sun. June 8th, 2pm-4pm at Lori Bonin's house, 63975 Dequindre Rd. Washington Twp.

For more details feel free to email Theresa at gardenbabe@comcast.net or call at 586 337 7498, or simply respond here.

Happy Spring!!!

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

I will have to mark my calandar...hello all I am back !!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

omg cheryle(hugz) glad to see you back here
sarah keeps telling me she yaks with you! miss you!!!

Theresa-THANKS!!! I know that I am going to an MSU 1 w/ my MIL-4/19-it's the one MSU has every year?? and I am going to an iris 1 in Aug, I have to work on 5/31 in Trenton, don't get out til 10:30am, which wouldn't put me there til noon:( I am off on the 8th-have to make sure everything is fine & I have the gas $$, but would LOVE to come!!! CAn anyone come or just DG members-I was think ing I could go tot the MSU one on the 7th w/ MIL-she lives in Lansing and then she could come with me to the 1 in Washington twp...PLMK

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Here's a link to the plant exchange in Southgate.

Paul

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/831888/

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

paul plez post on main forum (mich)too
been telling everyone

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Cheryle.......where have you been.........so good to hear from you......

Deann

YEAH!! I have that Sat off!! Now I just have to wrangle up some stuff to trade-can you tell me a bit more about it and how much to bring and such-I have never been to one & want to come preparred-IS DORI COMING???

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

Fairy, I look forward to meeting you! The MSU one is behind the Jail in Mt. Clemens on Duncan Rd. That is a yearly event, held the first sat. of June.
As for the swap in Washington Twp, everyone is welcome! Bring friends and save on gas too!
What to bring? Anything and everything, bulbs, houseplants, perennials, and even annuals. Bring a garden related item (garden gloves, pretty planter, tools, unusual plant, etc) and you are entered in the door prize drawings!
Lori has fantastic, parklike gardens to tour, and she is a very generous hostess, sharing almost everything from her gardens! You should see her water feature. Her hubby adds to it each year!
Take care, happy spring!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

This is not a run of the mill swap, there is some very cool plants to be had.
Hope to see you there

Paul

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

paul can you give us an idea of plants that people bring..........?please

I really dont like going to trades anymore becuz its the same old stuff.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

It's one of those things that you never know till you get there.

Last year I got Devils Tounge and Voodoo lilies which I thought were really cool.

It's a matter of personal taste, you make not like what I like and visa versa.

There's no way to tell who and what might show up.

Paul

Theresa are you going to the MSU thingy next weekend???

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

Fairy, can you tell me where the MSU one on the 19th is? My hubby has that weekend off and I would love to make it the first swap of the season for us!

I don't think it is a swap-I think you buy neat plants from MSU and they have some class things going on-I willl have to look-MIL sent me the info-gotta find it-will get back tomorrow with the info!!!!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

For those of you downstate be sure to check out the Matthai Botanical Garden spring perennial plant sale. You can go to their website to check for dates and times. Years ago I used to go every year and get the most unusual and wonderful perennials. You will find things there you won't find at any other nursery. It makes for a wonderful day with your favorite garden friends. I hope they still have that sale. It's been a long time since I went to it.

Brenda

Here is the link for the Matthai Botanical Garden
http://www.lsa.umich.edu/mbg/happening/2008PlantSale.asp

Here is the MSU one:
http://www.msuhortclub.com/spring.shtml

Here is the one for MSU garden day:
http://hrt.msu.edu/gardenday/

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks for posting those links! Here is what I copied from the Matthai website link

28th annual spring plant sale
May 2-4, 2008

On Friday, May 2 from 3-7p.m. there is a member's pre-sale & party where members get first choid of more than 1,000 varieties of high-quality plants. Appetizers and wine will be served.

On Saturday, May 3 from 9a.m.-4:30 p.m.
On Sunday May 4 from noon - 4:30 p.m.

You can become a member at the plant sale or member pre-sale party & members receive a free plant and 10% off their purchase!

The membership is $45 for the 10% discount and $500 to get the free plant!!OUCH!! Think I will skip the membership...but would like to go to the plant sale!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

They're a white gloves kind of place.

What does that mean?? White gloves kind of place?? I have never heard that B4??

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Go ahead Paul......splain away on that one....

Deann

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Most of the folks there like to garden but don;t want to get their hands dirty.

Went to a plant sale there a few years ago, they were really conceited and tend to talk down to you. Was with a group of friends and they sensed the same thing. Not very helpful at all.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2008 6:33 PM

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

We stopped at Callaway Gardens in Georgia a couple of weeks ago,
Caught the annual plant sale there, the folks couldn't have been nicer.
Very helpful.
Matthai could learn from them.

Paul

Ok-snotty-I get it...

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

exactly

Sooo-I guess I wouldn't fit in if I showed up in a pair of overalls, some straw in between my teeth a rusty wagon and dirt EVERYWHERE??? What a shame...;)

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

You would need designer overalls out there.
a Lexus tractor

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

LOL

naw-shucks-I was thinkin if I roll in some cow poo, I should be golden right??LOL-maybe some holes in the overalls!!

and I can scratch my behind a lot....

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I never got that impression at all when I went there. When I lived downstate our club would visit there often and we never missed any of their sales. We even attended several of their classes.

If you want to find unusual perennials and not the average run of the mill type flowers then this sale would be for you. Yes, they are marked with their proper names. I found the workers to be very helpful with any questions I had about care of certain plants. It was a wonderful sale. I'm sorry I don't live closer to be able to still attend. The prices are good on the plants because most are small. Now, I haven't been in a long time so things could have totally changed. That sale was the only place I ever found dictamnus or gas plant. That is just one example. THere were many other plants I wanted to acquire but couldn't find them at most of the local nurseries. It all depends on what you are looking for. I found going there to be a very good learning experience but your milage may vary. I'm sorry Paul didn't enjoy his experience.

Brenda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.