when to prune??

Avon, IN(Zone 5a)

mid last summer I got a Cardinal Rouge clematis. It bloomed a bunch even into early Nov.
I'm in zone 5a and sorta remember being told to prune late March, but I'm not sure. Any advice on when to prune? I hope I'm not to late, I love the flowers on it last year

Delaware, OH

not to worry. take a good look at the plant and carefully prune down to a terminal axil under any damaged vine. this is a great variety for your zone. early, more aggressive pruning will only delay the first flush of blooms and you will still have a great season of blooms.
pruning the plant gently..not too much, but enough to encourage new shoots from the base and eliminate any damaged vines is always welcom after a flush of blooms seems to be waning and will always bring forth the plant's best. fertilize now in your zone, and again before flower buds appear.
refrain from fertilizing after buds appear until you gently prune again and wait for the next round of beautiful. i grow this in zone 5 also just north of columbus ohio and have blooms until thanksgiving. a very forgiving variety to learn about clematis on. put it to bed in the fall with a good
feeding and the following spring will not disappoint.

Avon, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks Niobe for the great information!! just one silly question... what's the terminal axil? I'm sure I have just never heard this phrase before. do I take it to the ground, or leave a few inches?

Belgium, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm so confused ... I thought it was recommended that all clematis, regardless of type, be cut back to 6 inches or so the first spring after they are planted to encourage root growth. I got several new clemies last summer and that's what I was planning to do when (if?) the snow ever melts enough to let me at them.

I'd love to prune mine but I literally cannot see most of them yet. Stupid snow.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Twoneufts...you are correct hon..hard prune your clematis the second growing season that they are in your gardens to aid in root development..then after that treat them as they should be...Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.