Q re: beneficial nemetodes & moles

(Zone 7a)

Ok, so right now the mole is winning. I have tried the camphor liquid and pellets, the garlic stuff in tubes, and I have three times the number of sonic mole chasers I am supposed to need. A couple days ago I reached into what I thought was an old mole tunnel and met, to both of our deep consternations, my nemesis! Of course I had no gloves on, and I don't know what I would have actually have done with the mole if I had caught it.... Oh, and that mole was less than 4 feet from the nearest sonic molechaser! So much for those!

Anyway, I am now moving on to removing its food sources. I do have a grub problem, so I want to try beneficial nematodes. (We don't have Japanese beetles in NM, that is why I am not trying milky spore.) When I went to Planet Natural's website, they say that the ground can't be frozen. Our last frost date is around May 1st, but typically the ground itself won't be frozen, even if there is a frost. Is it safe to apply in this case, or should I wait? Also, does anyone know if there is a difference in application rates for soil that is very sandy?

Thanks!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

mudpiegirl, you might contact the seller and they should be able to help you with that information.

(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the reply. I think that's what I will do.

South Dennis, NJ(Zone 7b)

mudpie, I'm as sick of moles and their ugly, destructive hills as you are. There is a new product I am trying for the first time: http://www.cedarcide.com/ProductGuide.asp Scroll down to PRODUCT #8001. I don't have Japanese Beetles either, after using milky spore, but there are other grubs and squirmy things on the moles' menu that I must have, and that milky spore won't attack, because the moles aren't going away. Yes, the stuff is pricey, but I'll try anything for some relief.

(Zone 7a)

Well, let me know how it works for you! I am willing to try anything, but I am even happier to let someone else try it first! ;) (Especially when it's expensive....)

South Dennis, NJ(Zone 7b)

That's cheating..........but smart.

(Zone 7a)

And cheap!

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

There have been studies showing that moles will eat earthworms in the absence of grubs. There is a new mole killer out I think brand Tomcat, but as before, vey expensive.
Altermatively, I convince my DH to stand around with a pitchfork and watch for the mounding critters (we are REALLY infested)- gross but effective.

(Zone 7a)

Ever since I had that close encounter with the mole in its hole, I haven't seen any evidence of them! I am using those sonic molechasers, so maybe they finally annoyed the moles, or maybe it turns out that moles don't like being tickled! Either way, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Westland, MI

I thought that milky spore was effective for june bug larvae also.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Milky spore will work for most "grub" type larva.

Pioneer, CA

I've been using a product called Mole Rid for a couple of years now and haven't had a mole in my garden. Very early in the spring you shake it around your garden, wet it down and it repels the rodents. I's worked for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.