Question about Buckeye tree?

Lake, MI

Hi everyone,

I have the most beautiful Buckeye tree. In the spring it is ablsolutely beautiful when it is in full bloom.
The humming birds come in about the same time and are all over it, along with the bees.

We are moving soon and I have to leave it behind....Sigh.....

Can anyone help me figure out how to take the nuts and start them so I can have a couple new ones?

Any advice would be so appriciated

Thanks

Amos

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

This article should give you what you need to do. Hope you are successful. They indeed are beautiful trees.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2000/8-11-2000/germtreeseed.html

Lake, MI

Snapple,
Thank you for the help.
I tried to double click the link with no results:(
I typed into my browser the web site and I looked and could not find it.
Sorry....But that was very kind of you to go out of your way to help

Amos

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Odd. It works for me OK.

It is from the Iowa State University Extension.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2008 5:45 PM

"Horsechestnuts and Buckeyes (Aesculus species)
Gather the fruit (capsules) of the horsechestnuts and buckeyes as soon as they fall to the ground. Dry the fruit at room temperature until the capsules split open, then remove the shiny, dark brown seeds.

Plant the seed in the fall or stratify the seed and plant in the spring. The Ohio buckeye (Aesculus glabra) and common horsechestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum) should be stratified for 120 days at 41 F. Seed should be planted 1 to 2 inches deep".

This message was edited Mar 28, 2008 5:46 PM

Lake, MI

Dear Snapple,

Thanks so very much for the great information.
I have it and will gather up some many seeds this fall.
If you could see me you would see the smile on my face
Amos

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Post a pic of your first seedling. :>)

Lake, MI

Will Do:)

Amos

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Amos, the link works fine...I wonder if your popup blocker blocked the link from opening? (around here all the links open as new windows) If you hold down the control key while clicking on the link that will usually work to temporarily over-ride the popup blocker.

Danville, IN

Amos: Is your tree a regular Ohio buckeye, or one of the ornamental cultivars that bloom in pink or red? Either way, when you collect the seeds (opening the capsules that contain two or more), be sure to plant them in pots immediately and protect them from squirrels. Leave outside for the winter. Usually, they sprout before freezing temps but don't emerge from the soil until spring. Don't keep them inside for the winter as they quickly lose viability.

Lake, MI

I tried it again and it worked fine time...Not quite sure what was going on.
The tree is a white flowering one. The other colors sound so interesting.
Thanks for the information on gettting me going some new ones. The one at the farm is who knows how old? It is an old dairy farm, the house has logs for the joyces and a dirt basement floor. The tree is about fourty feet tall. I am not even sure how tall they get.
All I do know is that it is a fine tree and anyone would enjoy their beauty.

Thanks again for the advice

Amos

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.