Which end up??

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I know the NEers will know this, even though the calla is as far removed from our area as can be...

Anyway, I bought this whopper of a calla corm (Zantedeschia albomaculata) from DeJager bulbs at the flower show. It's huge. Which side should be planted "up", this side...

Thumbnail by Jax4ever
Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

...or this side?

Thumbnail by Jax4ever

The first one.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

One of the little "cormlets" broke off. I'm wondering if I should break all of them off and plant them individually. I'm thinking that each "cormlet" will grow larger over the season, so greedy little me will have more callas next season.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

The first one. I've got buttloads of those flattened potatoes.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=2838518

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Buttloads is a new term to me!

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Al, "buttload"? How vulgar! It's a "whole mess" in New England speak!
Do they grow well for you?
(What am I saying- of course they do!)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Mine I think are a bit shady and really will flop later in the summer. Really more of a foliage plant IMO.

You don't like buttloads.LOL That shot is from 2 years ago - I have even more now and I've never lost one in storage.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm thinking- stores are selling large colocasia bulbs for more then the smaller ones. Since the size of the tuber means nothing when it comes to dahlias, is it the same w/ callas, colocasias and caladiums? (And cannas, too!)

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I have never heard the term "buttload" before but, having grown cannas (not callas like you) and dahlias in Montreal until I had about 500 pounds of them that needed to be dug up every October, stored all winter and replanted every May, I knew exactly what it meant. I like the term: so evocative. Maybe you should write a fancy schmancy definition for it and include it in Wikipedia.

Sylvain.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2008 1:27 PM

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Al,
In the event of your untimely demise, what are your loved ones going to find stored away? I know you have dahlias, now cannas... what are your heirs going to do?!

Sort thru buttloads!

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL!!!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I had to Google it since I've heard that term my whole life - some funny reading.

I only have dahlias and callas in storage now. Stopped canna and glads a while ago. If my callas weren't so easy to store and plant I might not keep them - I wish that bed was full sun.

this was last year
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3658246

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Pretty!!!

Nice Al.
And I learned something today too. (I also googled butt-load)

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Al, you're a MegaFonzie in my book.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Melissa.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Very nice Al. I'm trying then for the first time this year, don't know if they will get dug up again or not. Do you wait for a frost before you take them up?

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Is anyone going to tell us what butt-loads is or do we all have to google it? (Or can't it be printed on this web-site?) Eleanor

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

It's what MegaFonzies have. I think when Al finally goes, his family will instinctively dig him up in the fall.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2008 2:54 PM

Common in PA too!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4717772

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Some of our buttloads are larger than others.
I'll use a sewn-up pair of my pants as a moneybag if I ever decide to rob a bank.

missed it the first time...

Does 'de-eying' calla bulbs help like it does with caladium??

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

No, they are different.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

OGG, Victor, I have tons of caladiums, too- what's this "de-eying"? And are they corms or bulbs?
I'd ask this in the bulb forum, but I wouldn't get a response for 3 weeks, if ever!

Bulbs. If you cut out the 'eye' on the top - where the growth will occur (pointier end), it will stimulate more foliage growth.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Beautiful Callas, Al. I had yellow ones for my bridal bouquet - wasn't easy finding them in January!

When I first bought caladiums and couldn't tell heads from tails, I planted them in a pot in all directions until they got shoots. Then I knew which end was up and moved them to the bed.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

it never ends to amaze me ..... every time I see photos like these... I will try and decide on my own before reading your answers.... and I am always wrong

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Jax - Bill (of Caladiums4less) described the process. I'll search for it and post a link.

While "size does not matter" with dahlias or callas it really does matter with Caladiums and Lilies.

From Bill: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4693886

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Pirl! I actually ordered quite a few caladiums from Bill earlier this year- I sent him an e-mail regarding ship dates, and he responded quickly- nice guy!
I am such a fan of foliage plants-color all season. No waiting around for flowers! Although I love flowers!

I ordered from Bill, too. He really is a nice guy and very helpful.

So did I - first time for me.

Last year I found out too late about Bill's and bought them at Home Depot and did measure them so we'll have a comparison test for this year.

Thumbnail by pirl
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you are good Pirl

I am more likely "certifiable".

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the info, pirl - very helpful!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

don't make you a bad person

:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.