cannas in water gardens????

Urbandale, IA

Cannas can be grown submerged in pots in water gardens/ponds? Don't know anything about cannas but really like the "tropical" look of some. Have any of you "canna" folks tried this? Thanks

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

there are certain canna that are called aquatics. check them out at karchesky's site. i have never grown any canna in water. cannagirl does grow several aquatics. but she has said that she has had a hard time getting them to bloom.

Charlotte, NC

I also am interested in growing cannas in my water garden. I have a few dwarf canna tubers that I'd like to try in asubmergedpot. Has anyone tried this?

Louisville, KY

I have grown almost all forms of cannas in water. They all seem to do well some are better than others. If the plant is genetically weak or prone to rot they are not good candidates for growing in water. The main problem with growing cannas in water is the water needs to be circulating and the temperatures need to be warm enough not to cause rot or root damage. The cannas breed for water gardens tend to take cooler temps and less water flow easier and are just over all breed for water. Naturally most if not all cannas are found on the edges of creeks and in boggy areas.
Here is a pic of some growing in ponds.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

brian, do you know any reason why cannagirl in la. would have a hard time getting these to bloom in water?

Louisville, KY

It is very hardy to say. Most ponds and water features act like hydroponic systems with moving water oxygen and nutrients the cannas usually love this situation. To deep in the water maybe part of the problem. They do not like water to far over their pots and a bit shallow is often best. The sun and nutrients can play a role. Dead water is worse and usually will cause rot problems. A picture of the setup may help me figure out what is wrong.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

thanks i'll let her know.

Urbandale, IA

thanks for comments.....much appreciated

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Several of us over at the Canna Co-op were just asking this question. I had bought one at a local Pond nursery several years ago that did just fine in my small pond. I ordered a couple of extra Tropical Sunrise just to plant with my water lotus this year. Then I wasn't sure if all Cannas could be grown in water or if only some could be. Can't remember what Canna I had purchased from the Pond nursery but I do remember that it was a shorter variety with very pretty stripped leaves grew well all summer and that I didn't have it in the water very deep, as you said just to the brim of the pot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.