Shrubs for School Grounds....Butterfly Bush etc - need help!

SE Mass, MA(Zone 6b)

Hi -

I'm the volunteer "Landscape Committee Chair" at our local elementary school. Last fall I re-did the tired beds in the front of our 100+yr old school - divided all the daylillies, cleaned up the shrub roses and put in 10 variegated weigelas (I know they are old-fashioned, but I love them!) - also put in 2 small Oxydendrum for spring interest and fall color. 2 years ago I put in 4 nice, big Miscanthus Gracillimus at the ends of the walkways and someone else planted some often-trodden upon boxwoods (these people love their boxwoods) - they don't seem to be growing at all.

This spring the school is thinking about planting an area on the school grounds that is tiered. It's 3 levels, far away from any water source and pretty much in full sun. Several people suggested Buddleia - any ideas for a spot like this? It's about 40' across. The town created this leveling on our field, and put in some shrubs and they (mostly) all died. This was before I was volunteering - I'm thinking no one took responsibility for these plants and they were never watered.

Criteria: Zone 6
Full Sun
Drought Tolerant
Evergreen would be great
Native would be great too

I'd love to use some native shrubs that will provide something nice to look at, and be a habitat for birds and animals at the same time. This is a pic of the front of the school before the Oxydendrum/Weigela overhaul. I was thinking it would be nice to mix several types of plants incase something comes along and attacts a particular plant.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Kara

Thumbnail by plymouthgarden
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Any chance of posting that picture with greater resolution (bigger!)? The image is just too small to make out what you mean by "tiered" and "3 levels".

I understand the drought tolerance, nativity, and habitat issues, but I am trying to understand the context better before firing off a species list.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure Buddleia will really meet your needs...it's not native, and in your area I don't think it's evergreen, and to make matters worse I think they tend to die back in your zone and then put out new growth from the base every year so I'm not sure they'll provide the permanent structure that I think you're probably looking for in the garden.

Also keep in mind that even drought tolerant plants will need to be watered with some frequency their first year or two in the ground--after that they probably can get by mostly on natural rainfall, but somebody's going to need to get out there with the watering can or something at least for this year.

I agree with VV on getting a better picture...also if you could point out where exactly is the area you're talking about putting the shrubs in...if it's right up against the building that will rule out some things that might be nice if it's an area out in the middle somewhere.

SE Mass, MA(Zone 6b)

I'm sorry for confusing you with that photo - the picture was actually just a picture of the front of the school - I will go down today and take a picture of the "tiers". They are truely "tiers", more like giant 3' high steps - it used to be a steep slope that started at the sidewalk and ended on our field. There's probably about a 12' drop.

I understand about the watering needs for the beginning several years, and I would be coordinating that (ok, it'd probably be me!). I also agree about the Butterfly bush idea - I had a huge one (10' tall) that died back one year and now comes back from the base- it's OK, but not that exciting (they are not evergreen in our area). I do have (in my yard) a gorgeous Nashiki Willow that has gone from being 2' tall to maybe 10' tall - wonder if I could put a few there.....I know they are not evergreen though....but it's gorgeous when it's growing!

We are having the children write to local nurseries, asking for plant donations for our "spruce-up", so we have to consider cost - we are a public school with very limited money for this.

Thanks - and I will post a picture of the area this afternoon.

Kara

Kara

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Try having the school kids write to non-local nurseries too, like the larger mail-order. Offer to put up a small plaque thanking the nursery for donations over a certain dollar limit (use $250 as a starting point). Do the same thing with local landscaping and materials! Search online for garden layout ideas and have "themes." You are much more likely to get donations if you have plans and ask for particular items to match your theme. People are always more willing to donate if they know the recipient has a plan and will appreciate the donation. Try specialty nurseries, usually they have overages of certain items. Make sure to mention it is a tax-deductible donation (provided the school is organized as a non-profit). If you move quickly, you might be able to take advantage of tax season, but that might not be as relevant for businesses who file quarterly.

Of course, I think you should definitely have a conifer garden, but I'm jaded :)

Elizabeth

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

A few other ideas:

* Wildflower / prairie garden - there are lots of great conflower colors on the market now, most are drought resistant once established. You can easily work a butterfly gardent into the scheme.
* Rock garden - work in a Japanese maple or two, maybe a small structure like a bridge over a "rock river", dwarf and miniature conifers.
* Rose garden - might be more work than you want, look for disease resistant varieties so you don't have to spray. Roses and I have a love/hate relationship. I love to see other people's but hate to watch my own kick the bucket.
* Fragrant garden - there are a few kinds of lavendar that are zone hardy for your area (lucky you!). Lavendar is extremely drought tolerant. You can include other herbs like rosemary and thyme, then have an area for annuals like basil. This would be really fun for the school kids, too, very interactive. Put them to work weeding!

Elizabeth

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Why not throw in a Xanthoceras sorbifolia http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1225/ ? Such a nice looking and tough shrub/tree with blooms that are tropical looking.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Also keep in mind that typically schools see little action during the summer months. Be sure to weight your plantings toward spring and fall interest with winter interest being important and summer blooms being less important...though your area might already have year-round elementary.

- Brent

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.