Potato question

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I found a bag of potatoes in my wash room that have sprouted. Shouldn't they do fine to plant in my garden?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I suppose, but if they are grocery store potatoes, then they may be harboring diseases from last year's crop. I'd go to a feed store or local nursery and see about some certified seed potatoes. I'm growing 20 different varieties of potato this year. :)

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Every bag of potatoes I've bought for months has black spots going through the flesh. They look perfect on the outside. Does anyone know what causes this? I've been noticing this for years but it seems to be getting worse.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I think you can plant those eyes, as long as there are three sprouts to a piece of potato. They put retardent on them, but if they have sprouted, thats the ticket. Phicks has posted a picture of his plants down the page a bit. I believe he uses them from his pantry.

I dont know what those black spots are either, but it is so upsetting to have to throw away nearly whole bags of potatoes, and that I have had to do many times. Besides the money, you always seem to find out halfway thru a recipe, or when dinner is all done and your just making mashed potatoes

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

They have lots of sprouts that are getting pretty long. I wanted to put them in my tires at the barn today but I had too much other work to get done. Hopefully I can get to them tomorrow.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

You are probably either looking at Blackspot or Blackheart. Items 16 and 17 in the following article. http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Potato_Detection.htm

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Mine looks just like number 17. I have seen way way to many black spots just like that, they are thru the whole potato. The rust colored part I dont see much of.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If you are seeing alot of it, you should complain to the grocery store manager. It is physiological, which means that is no disease danger to spread to your potato crop. In most cases it is caused in storage where the potato is not allowed to cure properly. It can occur in the field, if a flood occurs before harvesting. Major cause is lack of oygen as the potato matures/cures. That grocery chain or its suppliers are probably not paying proper attention to storing and handling the potatoes.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks, and I think I am going to mention it. It happens way to often. The spud itself looks perfect and is nice and firm. No way to know until you go to peel it.

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Thanks Farmerdill. #17 is it and I have seen some #16 a few times. At the prices I pay for vegetables now, I'm much less willing to overlook problems. If this was an external thing, they'd have to plow them under. I think I need to say something to the stores too. They expect us to buy tasteless maters and apples and now damaged taters. They're really pushing me.

Phoenix, AZ

Twiggy, I just signed onto this forum (got another question!) and I completely agree with you! I'm just not willing to spend the dough they're asking and get home to find a tasteless piece of fruit or tomato. Anymore, I ask the produce guy to cut it for me so I can taste it before I buy! They've always accommodated that request.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I got two potatoes planted a couple of days ago. Hope they do well. Wanted to do a couple more today but had too much work on my plate. Maybe I can get to them tomorrow.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Any one know where i can get some Kipfler Seed Poatoes? Paul

south central, PA(Zone 6b)

I think Ronnigers has them, if the name is "Kipfel."

http://www.ronnigers.com/

edit - I went looking for them at Ronnigers, but couldn't find them. I think they did carry them at one time. Possibly you've already looked there. If not, maybe you could call them ?

edit again - looking up "Kipfler" - described as a German fingerling potato - I couldn't find any US sources, but got a lot of hits in Australia. So, sorry, I guess I was not much help. : (

This message was edited Apr 6, 2008 2:37 PM

This message was edited Apr 6, 2008 2:49 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.