Scabiosa Seeds....

Rehovot, Israel

Hi to all...

Can someone please send me an image of how the seeds of Scabiosa look like.
From what i can tell it looks like it has been coated in chaff... am i correct?
i tried google images but found nothing.

Appreciate any help
Thanks
Tom.

Hardin, KY(Zone 6b)

Here is a GREAT site for identifying seeds, seed pods, and the related seedlings:

www.theseedsite.co.uk

Even though this is UK based, it is a fairly comprehensive site. I have used it a LOT. From the home page, choose the "seed pods and seeds" button and then search for scabiosa by alphabet ~ it's there!

Hope this helps.
Kelly

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Tom -- here's what i found in my seed basket. I've personally have never seen them before ... but the envie was labeled Scabiosa.

hope this helps,

Terese

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Rehovot, Israel

Thanks so much for the help... greatly appreciated:)
Now i know what to look for!!
Thanks again
Tom.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

gus -- the 3rd one is sorta like the ones i have.

Warren, OH(Zone 5b)

If I'm not sure if its chaff or seed, I just plant it all, lol!
Kathy

Rehovot, Israel

Thanks very much:)

Just by the way, i heard that there are Scabiosa species for cut flower, bedding and pots.
Is this true, and if so do you know which are the species that are used for the three types.

Tom.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Actually I would love for someone to tell me the secret to getting these to germinate. I know it says to not cover the seed. I have what is supposed to be viable seed(bought)
I have had one seed geminate. I had none last year with what was viable seed. I don't consider myself a newbie to seed planting since in one room only I now have over 1000 seedlings. River

Rehovot, Israel

Riverland... try GA (Gibberellic Acid), it helps promote seed germination, by inducing the production of alpha-amylase and therefore breaking down the endosperm so that a food supply can be provided to the embryo.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Tom hadn't thought of that since I kinda always though of GA in terms of very hard surface seeds. I think I may order some. Will it keep from one year to the next?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Riverland -- I do not have any experience with these seeds yet, but i did fin this on Tom Clothiers site

Quoting:

Scabiosa caucasica , Sow at 22-24ºC (71-75ºF), germination in about 2 weeks

Scabiosa columbaria, graminifolia, japonica, lucida, and ochroleuca, Sow at Max. 5ºC (41ºF), germination irregular, often several months

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page04.html

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Thanks tcs I will have to look into my seed and find out what kind I have.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I think mine only say "White" -- so other than that... i have not additional info.
I'll try to get mine sown today [i've been very lazy lately] then i'll track the germination.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Thanks maybe you shall have better luck and can pass on your method. Even though I have a lot of info on mine it however does not state that they are specifically a certain type. I have tried the baggie method too but have not tried cold stratification(sp or term) in a pot in the fridge.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

guess that may be where you southerners get zone envy .... you may not get as cold for as long as we do for winter sowing.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

You are right that does make some seeds much more trouble for us. Usually the plant does fine though.

Chicago Suburbs, IL(Zone 5b)

I bought some scabiosa seed recently at Home Depot. I removed the chaff and put bottom heat on them, they popped up in about 4-5 days, with 99% germination rate.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm WS'ing mine... have them in 2 small containers, and 1 cup has germinated, the other hasn't.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.