Weird Soil?

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

We've discovered a very weird thing about our property, after all this time. I've tried so hard to grow a garden but nothing thrives except herbs, which can grow in poor soil. This week I saw my DD burying something. I thought maybe a rabbit had died or something so I asked. She was burying our compost pile! That pile that has been there for...I don't know....several years, is not composting! She's burying it just to get it out of sight, but it isn't soil or compost, it's still the stuff we threw out. The manure is still manure, the garbage is still recognizable as garbage. Something is missing in our soil or atmosphere, or (she thinks) it is kept from decay by the tannin which is high in the soil and water here, and it's keeping things from decomposing. Hm....maybe I should dig it up and rub it on my skin?

ETA: I made it sound like we just threw things out on the ground and expected them to compost. Actually, where I grew up in clay soil country, that would have worked! But we've been carefully mixing soil, water, green stuff, manure and garbage. In fact we even have one of those tumblers with it's own recipe, which never worked either.

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

Have you ever had a soil test done? The Extension office can help you with a information and tell you where to mail a sample. At least then you would know what you need to do to improve your soil.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Soil testing is a good idea. Also, there is a soil forum on Daves I believe where you might post your question and get more advice or opinions.

Brenda

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

You really need to know what you are dealing with so that you can work with your soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.