Favorite Fragrant Native Shrubs? (Chesapeake region)

Annapolis, MD

No, that's not a 'local' native (it's a Ceiba tree in Vieques!), but now that I've got your attention. . .

Any suggestions for favorite, fragrant native shrubs?
I've planted some Clethra alnifolia and Calycanthus floridus, and I plan to plant some Lindera benzoin/Spicebush and Cephalanthus/Buttonbush, but I thought I'd see what other favorites everyone has.

I've heard the Buttonbush has 'trunk' roots--do you think it will be 'safe' to plant 12-or-so feet from a concrete water garden? How close can I plant it to the foundation of a house?

What about Fothergilla? Any fans?

Any native Viburnum that are particularly fragrant?

I need to come up with something to replace some old Lilacs and to substitute for a Philadelphus/Mock Orange my daughter wants outside her window!

Any suggestions for fragrant native shrubs/small trees would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Teresa
(zone 7, Broadneck Peninsula)

Thumbnail by soivos
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Some of the native azaleas are very fragrant and grow in your area, like Rhododendron viscosum.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'm bringing this here from the Ilex glabra thread...

Where is Broadneck Peninsula? Is that where Marines and longshoremen come from?

Most all the viburnums smell like something (thus fragrance). To each sniffer its own...

I don't known what native is for you -- but I don't believe any of the native North American viburnum species are considered sweetly or spicily fragrant like the more well-known Asian forms.

Mapleleaf viburnum (Viburnum acerifolium) has a nice enough scent, and I don't mind blackhaw and rusty blackhaw's aromas too much (V. prunifolium and V. rufidulum, respectively). Some find the pungency of arrowwood (V. dentatum) offensive.

The northerly species of the cranberrybush and hobblebush (V. trilobum and V. lantanoides) don't grow well here, so I can't offer an opinion for them.

Finally, the related species of V. cassinoides and V. nudum have a light fragrance, but you have to be right up with it to notice.

All are just fabulous in flower, fruit, and fall color, so you must try them regardless.

As far as the rest of your suggestions - I think it is going to be a matter of scale.

The buttonbush is a pretty big sprawling shrub, so its dimensions (not its rooting capacity) will be your issue to contend with. It is NOT a small plant around here, reaching 15 feet wide and 10-12 feet tall. You can always whack it down to keep it in bounds, and share the wood with others to "live stake" and make new plants. To me, it's at best a back of the border plant and probably better as a "back by the fishin' pond" shrub where it can look natural to its heart's content. Just my humble (or not) opinion.

Fan of Fothergilla? Found out! This is a fine plant in all its permutations. You can't have too many of them.

There are native Philadelphus (if you can find anyone selling them) though most of what is commercially available are garden hybrids.

Hollies have quite the fragrance which belies the diminutive flower size; en masse, they are a hit. Winterberries (Ilex verticillata) are especially rewarding.

I think elderberry (Sambucus canadensis) can throw some "nose". It sure is showy otherwise, but can be a rogue if it likes its home.

So far unmentioned include a bunch which may range to larger sizes than you may be after (need to start a small trees thread), but they merit review for fragrance. Forgive me if these don't count as natives to your location.

Amelanchier spp.
Magnolia virginiana
Halesia diptera
Cornus amomum
Cornus racemosa
Chionanthus virginicus
Prunus americana and other wild plums
Ptelea trifoliata
Crataegus spp.

Annapolis, MD

Excellent, excellent!

Thanks for all the suggestions! The nearby arboretum is having it's native plant sale soon and my list is getting longer and longer. . .

I'll plan to find a good place where buttonbush can sprawl to it's content. l planted 5 elderberry behind an outbuilding back in the autumn--hopefully they'll be happy there--there are always lots of them growing in the hedgerows on my parent's farm.

Also planted Magnolia virginiana and Viburnum prunifolium last autumn--hope to plant at least one more of each soon.

Been thinking about Halesia and the Amelanchier--will have to look for a nice spot for them--maybe I can put an Amelanchier canadensis near the house somewhere.

Now I'm convinced I should definitely plant some Fothergilla near the porches.

Planning on putting in a few wax myrtle/southern bayberry as well.

I think the azaleas native to this region that are supposed to have the best fragrance are the 'dwarf' and 'swamp' azaleas, Rhododendron atlanticum and viscosum?

I'll be sure to get some more native Viburnum for this area--if you had to pick just 3 for fruit, foliage, etc., what would they be? (Should I go look for some Viburnum messages?)

Of course I know also need to look at soil, moisture, shade conditions, etc. but at least I have a nice list with which to start!

Thanks so much!
Teresa

(The Broadneck Peninsula is between Annapolis 'proper' and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge--just NE of Annapolis across the Severn River. Didn't know until we moved out here last year after 15 years in town, but people are very particular about this not being 'Annapolis'--even if that's our mailing address!--so I'm careful to not say 'Annapolis' anymore! There used to be plenty of MPs across the river at the academy, and there are still plenty of Marines among the mids there, too. Not so sure about Longshoremen, though one of our neighbors 'captains' a charter fishing boat . . . )

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Here's a site you might be interested in strolling through.

http://www.mtcubacenter.org/

Though you are probably considered Coastal Plain around the Bay (where hollies are probably weedy!), you still might find information that is useful.

I've admired for decades the work done by the Mt. Cuba Center. Fine people, fine gardens, and advancement of the native flora - not much to fault there.

Oh, and some of the biggest Fothergilla I've ever seen.

Annapolis, MD

Just saw some of your 'Winter Red' photographs.
Definitely adding that to my list!

Teresa

Annapolis, MD

I think I may add New Jersey Tea (Ceanothus americanus) and Ninebark (Physocarpus opulifolius) to my list of fragrant natives.

How about Callicarpa americana (American beautyberry)? Is it at all fragrant?

I'm always happy to plant something with berries for the birds or leaves for the caterpillars and insects, but if it's fragrant for the humans, too that's even better!

Teresa

Brighton, MO(Zone 6a)

My beautyberry doesn't seem to have any fragrance, but I do love it. The berries are a shade of purple I've not seen anywhere else in nature.

On the other hand, my golden currant (Ribes odoratum) bloomed for the first time this year (too young two years ago and hit by a late freeze last year). The fragrance makes me stop and swoon every time I walk by.

Thorne Bay, AK(Zone 6b)

I would sure put Mentha Arvensis and Lysichiton Americanum on MY list of fragrant natives.When young mint is growing along the river,it is really fragrant when stepped on or disturbed.When the skunk cabbages bloom,that is quite a smell,too.I have no pics of them,but the Western skunk cabbage is in Wikipedia.

Annapolis, MD

I'm so glad you posted that about the Ribes odoratum.

I'd never heard of it before, just received three little ones, and when I looked it up in the Plant Files became very alarmed when I read that it is a host of White Pine Blister Rust--not that I'd heard of the latter, either.

Subsequent calls to DNR, nurseries, etc. have not been helpful.

One person at a nursery said that there were no restrictions on any Ribes in the state of MD--OK, so it's not illegal, but that doesn't tell me much--what about the pine trees?

Another person said that they had no idea, transferred me to someone else who said that Ribes odoratum is native and deciduous and shouldn't be an issue.

I keep missing the window of opportunity to call the Extension office and see if someone there can enlighten me.

I know sometimes certain kinds of plants get unfairly lumped together ('bittersweet' or 'maples' for example) when there's great variation within, but if Ribes odoratum really poses a risk of some kind to the local pine trees then not only do I not want to plant it, I want to know more about it!

Any ideas or information? (or maybe I should start a new thread so this doesn't get lost?)
Thanks,
Teresa

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Don't forget about Carolina spicebush. A beautiful shrub, very tough and the scent is very nice.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/550/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/78830/

Annapolis, MD

I've got Calycanthus that I planted last year just now putting out leaves and the smallest buds.
It wasn't in bloom when I planted it so I'm hoping this one is going to be really fragrant!
Teresa

Brighton, MO(Zone 6a)

Teresa,

No clue on the White Pine Rust, but I posted some pics of the Ribes Odoratum in the "Do You Garden with Natives" thread.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.