Sad Passing

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

I am Sad to report that Tony Willott Has passed. It is a great loss to the American Iris Society and all of us who so loved the little ones he produced.
These include
Black Suede

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Buckeye Baby

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Kiddieland

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Lady In Red

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Petite Shadow

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Pussy Toes

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Snowy River

Thumbnail by avmoran
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Avmorn .. such a sad loss .. the Irises will certainly keep his memory alive for a long time.

~Marilynne~

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Western Circles

with more than 350 introductions of miniature dwarfs and mediums he will sorely be missed
Anita

Thumbnail by avmoran
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ah, but what a legacy he has left us with!

Deepest sympathies to his friends and family.

Lebanon, OR

We have lost another great Irisian as well as a warm, knowledgable, friendly gentle man

D

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Special people ,are all the hybridizers of the world ,
they leave the world and the gardens a better place.

South Hamilton, MA

I hope the pictures posted of Willott iris plants encourage gardeners to try them in an early bed. While tall bearded iris are spectacular, the little ones bloom earlier & people don't have to wait to later in the year to enjoy iris plants. Agreed that they don't grow in all parts of the country. Tony was a director of the Dwarf Iris Society and worked very hard to promote them. The best iris growers can do for his memory is to carry on with his plants.

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

How sad! The iris greats are gettin up there. At least they have left so many wonderful iris for everyone to enjoy for many years to come.

Raleigh, NC

I am wondering, with the passing on and retiring of so many greats, are we creating and supporting the next generations? It's always nice to think about the gardens they will grow in the heavenly kingdom!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Tony Willott will be greatly missed by those of us who met him through AIS. I am delighted that I have some SDBs bred by him and his wife, Dorothy in my garden. I pray for strength for his wonderful wife and for the Iris world which will miss him sorely.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

What a wonderful legacy he has left us all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.