newbie question!

(Zone 6a)

I'm fairly new to Adenium obesum and bought my first one last summer and when I brought it in for winter I cut back on water and it went completly dormant, so now that spring is coming I moved it to a warm and bright spot, but am wondering if I need to water a bit to start it growing or do I wait for growth till I water? Please advise! Also any general advice on watering once it's in growth would be very helpful!

Thank-you,
Steven

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm new to them too, but I'm pretty sure you should wait to water until the growth gets going.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Here's a thread where this was discussed briefly also: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/820690/

(Zone 6a)

Thanks Peeper and Clare!

Steven

Townsville, Australia

I never water any plants that go dormant until new growth is visible. Some are summer dormant ,others winter dormant. If you water while they are not growing you always run a risk of fungus or bacterial rot. The caudiform / pachycaule plants store sufficient water and nutrient in the swolen base or trunk
to get them started in the following season. When watering always water thoroughly, never just dampen, and allow them to dry between subsequent waterings. For good flowering and caudex growth a high phosphate (p) fertilizer should be used. Bob.

Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

However, if you don't give dormant plants a little water now and then, you end up with dry and dead feeder roots. IMHO, this can cause a set back of growth in Spring, and you run the risk of root rot when watering plants which can't take up the water.

Best regards,

Martin

(Zone 6a)

Hi Martin and Bob, thanks for your replies! Maybe I didn't water enough during the winter because the new growth is coming on quite slow, after reading your posts I realize too that I haven't been watering correctly. I'll give it a good soak and let it dry out well between the waterings and see what happens. Any other advice will be most appreciated!

Steven

Townsville, Australia

Hi Martin , If they are not given a rest they tend to grow soft weak growth that is less resistent to disease. It is up to the individual, but i always advise my customers not to water at all during dormancy, particularly if they are new to this type of plant. In cool climates this is even more important as cold and wet conditions combined will make them more suceptible. Methinks it is better to err on the side of caution. .....These are some overcrowded seedlings of mixed colors in 3 and 4 inch pots awaiting spring transplanting.

Bob.

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.