Nanny Carol Here

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Facing some serious back problems...I have been scouring the internet for information. I found this site and thought I would pass it on. It IS rather basic...but as spring sticks out her lovely charms...let's keep them in mind.....

http://backandneck.about.com/b/2008/03/14/its-spring-time-gardening-to-avoid-back-strain.htm

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya

That is a gorgeous Hoya and a very useful site!!
My pilates teacher in England always warned us when spring approached: gardening is exercise too, be sure to STRETCH and warm up properly before starting!!
I hope your back gets better Carol (mine is aching too....)

That is one beautiful Hoya Nanny Carol ...look after that back ...you need it for lifting adorable grandchildren up for a cuddle ...Autumn and too much repotting here too (amongst other chores such as triffid hacking ...) The back is saying "enough already" so I am off to the shower and put the feet up for an hour ...we should do that every day after chores ... I mean everyone! :)
chrissy

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful flower, Carol! Do take care of yourself!

Once I asked my Grandmother how she got so much done. She was in ill health, and elderly, she said, "Oh, I do a little, and then rest a little." I have found that to be what I have to do now. If I do more than a little, then I have to rest more than a little!!! Sometimes DAYS!!!!

It's tough not being able to go at full speed anymore, and burn the candle at both ends, but I'm just thankful for what I can do!

Chrissy, same Grandma that I presented the bouquet of tulips to! Very wise and saintly woman!!!!!

Now this "Na-Na" has to do the same! Take care all!

Jeanne

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Seems to be an awful lot of bad backs, I hope you all rest up and start feeling better. Back ache is a beast.

Love to you all

I had acupuncture for my sciatica yesterday and am MUCH improved; will go back for a second dose this morning.

I will try to heed the 'do a little and rest a little' advice. It ties right in with what my father would teach us about money: 'spend a little and save a little' LOL.

If your body begs for mercy ...listen to it ...pain is Nature's Alarm
bell.
All you nannas and mums and gardeners ...don't ignore it ...rest.
I am sending healing thoughts your way ...hope your backs will be ok very soon ...throw some lavender essential oil into the oil burner and relax ...tension (which is a companion to back pain ) will ebb away ...breath deeply and exhale slowly ...
think happy thoughts.
Happy weekend everyone
chrissy

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Chrissy! Happy thoughts your way as well! The weather certainly brought happy thoughts today...it was gorgeous! Warm, nice breeze, so wonderful out. I had to run errands, but hope to spend some time out in the garden tomorrow if weather permits.....it may rain for awhile, but we need it so, it would be good!

Have a great day y'all!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Carol, gorgeous flower! Please do take care, you are too valuable a person to have back pain lay you low...follow all the advise and don't overdo!

Same goes for all the rest who suffer from the dreaded back pain...be careful!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

"Do a little, rest a lot"...seems to be my mantra! Endowed with a pair of double ds don't help my back none!!
Sister Carol, please take good care of yourself. Like Chrissy says, that back of yours is for lifting up grandbabies.
Sembah sayang,
Jaye

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Jaye...thanks...!!! Hope you are feeling better!!!!!

Jaye...and I am a triple!!!! But I am also a tall girl.

sembat sayang!!!

Christi...as the song goes "somedays a diamond, somedays a stone....."

This message was edited Mar 30, 2008 7:42 PM

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Lordy, lordy. Who would have believed that all of us have the same problem.

Some days it is great and somedays...it is not.

Christi

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hmmm, wonder if back pain is related to gardening, bending to weed, lifting bags and pots, digging while sitting in strange positions...hmmm...could be, could be. Our shared obsession is obviously causing our shared miseries.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Well, this year for veges, I'm trying out strawbale gardening. Raised beds to ease the back.
I asked Santa for a Bobcat last year...did he listened? Noooo.....so....I think I'll try asking for some live gnomes!
So true Shari...but once they bloom, fruit and perfume your garden...all those pain are forgotten!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Don't you know it! Here's a pic of an unusual orchid for around here: Pale green with a purple labellum...very different.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, Shari that is so beautiful. Someday I may, just may take up an orchid or two. Need to get more settled with all of the other projects first.

Miss yakin' with you.

PK

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Miss you too, but I don't post too much anymore...been told off one too many times. Getting my kitchen ready for a chili cook-off I have been talked into entering...making my chile verde. Why do I never just say no?????

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

TOLD OFF? By whom? oh, Shari...I have never read anything like that...hey girl...this forum is NOT THE SAME if you don't participate and be with us.

come on -

Can we have the recipe for the Chile Verde????

PS - I am corning my own beef. I am so brave!!!!

Alohas and hugs,
Carol

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

You ARE brave!!! I can't even imagine trying it! Way to go girl! I never had a recipe for this, but people kept asking, so one day when I was making it, JB wrote down everything I did. This is what he came up with - it can be tweaked hotter or milder as you choose. I also think he got the amounts wrong on the chiles and jalapenos...probably 4 cans, and 8 cans. Enjoy:

Chile Verde

Serving Size : 8
Categories : Main Dish Pork
Pot Luck Dishes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 lb pork butt roast
14 oz stewed tomatoes
1 1/2 lb tomatillos (can) Note: If using fresh, -- husk and cook first.
Should be left -- whole
whole
garlic salt
4 oz diced jalapenos (if using fresh, you need -- at least 5; seeded
-- and finely diced
If you want a milder chile, subst. chiles -- for these.
8 oz diced green chiles (use 10 if fresh, -- see above
2 tsp dried cilantro
2 tsp oregano
14 oz mushrooms (optional)

1. Roast pork for 2.5 to 3 hours at 325. Save all pan drippings. 2. Dice into 0.5 inch pieces (do not pare away fat!) 3. Put diced meat and leftover pan drippings into large pot. Add stewed tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos, green chilies, mushrooms and spices. Cover and simmer for 3 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Dose liberally several times with garlic salt while cooking.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Have on hand: Fresh cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese and avocado. Serve with warm flour tortillas and/or chips.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OH YUM!!!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Well, I hope you like it. I probably make it a little different each time - depending on my mood, who's coming to eat it...yadda yadda yadda. The main thing is it should be green, not red, and its pork not beef. Everything else is up to you! Tell me how you are corning the beef?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

4c. water
1/2c salt
1/8c sugar
garlic and peppercorns. 36 hours and then simmer with pickling spices, bay leaves and cloves. Recipe is on the Recipe thread and i decided it was the easiest time thingy. Tonight will make it and let you know. i just can't bear all those chemicals in the commercial stuff!!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I know exactly what you mean. I may try that, do loved corned beef - but not with the boiled cabbage and such like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.