Maybe another species Hippeastrum?

San Gerardo de Rivas, Costa Rica(Zone 12b)

I'm being quite a pest the last few days, lol! On my travels today, I came across a couple more blooming Hippeastrums in people's gardens. I'm thinking one might be another species, possibly the other as well, although it looks just a little too "hybridized" to me. The first one has obvious seed pots developing, but there was no one around to talk to about it. I'll have to go back another time. Here is the first photo:

Thumbnail by vanillaman

I tried zooming in on the flower:

Thumbnail by vanillaman

This just shows what's growing behind it, lol:

Thumbnail by vanillaman

This last pic is of the 2nd plant I discovered today. To me it doesn't look like a species, but what do I know? It just looks a little too "perfect"!

Thumbnail by vanillaman
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I like them both, but especially the first one.

Me too vossner! I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the seeds from it so you can have a few if you like, lol!

that would be lovely. thanks.

You're welcome. I'll make a note on Trade Tracker so I don't forget!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

The first one is beautiful, but I don't think it's a species. It reminds me of the red and white 'heirloom' hipps which have been around for a long time in the southern states. That one is extremely nice, someone posted a pic of one very similar not so long ago.

The second one is also beautiful, (but I prefer the first) it looks like a hybrid but I can't pin it down to a name.

Vman, I bet you once you meet the family that grows these beauties, they will be so delighted to have somebody to talk plants with, the conversation will just flow.

Thanks you guys/gals! Yes, I'm sure these people are quite proud of their gardens and will appreciate my interest. It's not like I'm "casing their joints" lol! There are 3 separate gardens envolved.

I appreciate your input!
vm

I would love seed from the first one! Absolutely lovely! Please let me know if some become available! :-)

Ok gordo, will do! I'll write it up at Trade Tracker. Hopefully there will be several seed pods to harvest. By the way, is your name a sort of diminutive of "Gord", just with the extra "o"? You know what gordo means in Spanish, right lol!

Thank you! I'm doing some cybister crosses right now. Maybe we can do a swap! :-)

Yes, I do know what "Gordo" means in Spanish. :-) (I would rather be a "Gordito", but that wouldn't be honest. LOL!!!) To complicate matters even further, I am occasionally a "Pantzone". :-)
Actually, I took on the name, because it was the nickname of astronaut Gordon Cooper who was "The best pilot you ever saw."

Lol, thanks for clearing that up for me! The first time I saw your name somewhere here I had to laugh. If you don't know the Spanish meaning, you wouldn't get it of course. I know what you mean though. I'd love to be a "flaquito" again with a 28" waist!

I forgot to say that a trade would be great. I'd love to grow a few plants from seed, especially other crosses than what I'm playing around with.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2008 1:06 PM

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I'm up for seeds, too if you have enough. Maybe my babies will be ready to repot then and I can trade with you. I made my first hybrids ever and forgot to label them (AAAAAAAGHHHHHHH!) but I know one parent was h. striatum Grandma Dora (that's what Robert and I call them since they came through a cousin from my GM Dora in Brooklyn, NY). Maybe the other was Carina (I hope!).
Gordo, I wondered about your name too-I thought you must be brutally honest! LOL.
I'm excited about your cybister x's. What have you crossed???

I've crossed a whole bunch of cybisters this year, with each other and some of the other hybrids. Nice seed too! I was surprised.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

That's good news. I assumed cybisters wouldn't cross with other varieties. Wonder what you'll get!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.