I really want variegated horehound

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Anybody know of a source. variegated or either the archer's variety, that stuff is beautiful.

I'd trade my right arm for some. well, maybe my left arm, I need that right one to plant it once I get it.

kathy

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I knew I saw this somewhere:

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/70450/

I haven't bought from this place myself. Maybe someone else has.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

OH MY GOSH!! I could kick myself, I just placed an order last week, shipping has already begun i'm sure. I hadn't any idea they had it, I'm sick over this, What the heck is wrong with me........

Thanks so much for letting me know. I"m goin g to call them now and see if it's not too late to add that

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WHEW! I just called them, they only have the silver tipped horehound and I bought two of them last week LOL

I'm looking for the variegated black horehound Ballota
nigra 'Archer's Variegated,' and the vareigated, two diff kindso f horehound here, i'm looking for if anybody knows of a source.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I think stargazers has it. i'm going to check with them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Is this invasive? and does smell like "sweaty armpits"? I had looked at this one a couple of years ago and passed because of this but sorry I never made a note of where I got that info. Is anyone growing it already? Sure is pretty though.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm not sure, about that LOL, my regular horehound doesn't smell like sweaty arm pits, But what does sweaty arm pits smell like anyways >LOL just kidding.

I doubt it's invasive either. stargazers doesn't have it either, bigdipperfarm use to have it, maybe you got it there. NO one else on the net has this plant. bummer. I was going to get it through variegated foliage.com but their out of it too.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Bluebird has it http://www.bluebirdnursery.com/About.asp
kathy_ann I don't know what "sweaty armpits" smell like either but that's what my note on it says. Must have been having a bad hair or armpit day at the time LOL. At least I can read that one. alot of my notes seem to be in sanscrit or some foreign language cuz for the life of me I can't decipher them now LOL

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I did a search on that site and couldn't find it, am I looking in the wrong area? seems I checked with that nursery. Do you know if they ship?

I guess I could keep my nose out of it, and just enjoy it's beautiful variegation LOL

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It's on this page listed as Ballota nigra 'Archer's Variegated'. http://www.bluebirdnursery.com/productlist.asp?id=herbs
I don't think they ship but they will give you the closest dealers to you if you email them. http://www.bluebirdnursery.com/FindADealer.asp
I often find that if there isn't a dealer close to me for something I want a small dealer might ship if you beg them very nicely :) Hope this helps.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I did email them a while back, they told me someone but that someone didn't have it either. I knew that web site looked familiar.

Thanks,

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

o that's disappointing. Guess you'll just have to take a trip to Ontario, Quebec or England to buy some in person :)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Wouldn't that be nice, Seems like the UK has all the unusual stuff. LOL

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Kathy Ann ~ why dont' you try contacting Mr Crocosmia and Ms Laurie and see if they can locate the seeds for you in England and send to you?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Hum, that's a good idea, thanks podster. seeds can go over seas right? I can't remember

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I think they can send seeds. I know they sent Crocosmia to some DGrs... Worth a try. They might enjoy shopping for something different for you...

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks, I'll write that down Mr crocosmia Mslaurie so I don't forget it.

Middleburgh, NY

I ~think~ I got mine from Alloway Gardens when they were vending at the Baltimore Herb Festival. Alloway is out of PA and I don't think they ship, but vend at several events.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WEll Herbalbetty, got any extras you want to trade? I have gobs of other things I can trade for some.

do they get invasive? do they reseed? Do the seeds show signs of variegation?

Middleburgh, NY

Kathy, let's see if it comes up again this year. My regular horehound is very hardy, but the variegated seems a bit iffy. We are still frozen solid here in zone 5. Remind me again in about a month and I will let you know!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Oky dokey, thanks.

My regular is hardy too. I'll email in a month orso,

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I went to Rita Randolph's nursery in Jackson TN yesterday and guess what I found, Variegated horehound archer's variety, couldn't believe it. i'm thrilled LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.