Quickie question about plastic.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hillis got some packing plastic on a roll from work. Its clear and very tough. I could do a makesift temporary greenhouse right?
I've got tons of it, lol.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I say go for it! If it is clear and tough, you can't go wrong! Even just the 6 MIL at Lowe's is quite expensive cause we just got a box. I have always wished I had saved the plastic that our furniture was covered in! LOL

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL!
I will try and get to it this week. Yay!!!!!!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Better go for a real big one, you will need it! LOL

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh man Im about to die. I want it so badly! LOL

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Trust me, you start small and you just keep needing bigger, and bigger, and bigger! LOL

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I am gonna get DH hooked on all the wonderful winter grown veggies in my small greenhouse then he will want to build me a bigger one! LOL

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Well good luck! I have everything to get mine extended, just getting it done!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, hehe. So excited!! Imma go do some DG research on building a simple cheap greenhouse!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Two by two's for the walls, one by twos for the roof, the plastic you got, staple gun and staples of course :), and lots of screws! LOL

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ohh thank you sooooooooooo much!!!
I can do this without hillis help!! LOL
Man oh man excitedddddddddd!
It's SNOWING outside LOL.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I thought I could do it by myself and couldn't so don't get too excited just yet! LOL I thought, yup, be small, then I'd measure, needed to be bigger....You know how it goes! LOL We worked on mine in the snow, so it can be done! HA HA HA

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL. Maybe Ill have our eldest help. Hillis gets all mad and starts cussing when things dont go as planned!!LOL

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL I tend to do that at times, too! :oP

Southlake, TX(Zone 8a)

great idea on harvesting the plastic. HOw will you heat it?

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thats what I am trying to figure out now. A space heater? LOL

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

You won't want just a plain ole electric heater cause it will eat up your electric bill. I am using an oil filled one that has worked pretty well.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Where do you buy oil filled ones?

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Lowe's or Wal Mart is where ours came from, if they still have them out.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Cool, i bet they're on sale!! Gotta ask hubby when he gets paied.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

They might be! :)

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Tammy didn't the oil filled radiator heater cost you a fortune to run this winter? I ran mine for awhile and decided the pocket book couldn't handle all those watts being burned. I think I'll try something gas next winter or maybe wood.

A gal I spoke to in Springfield says that the orchids can't stand the creosote from the wood stove. I figure mine won't be in the GH for long periods so they should be ok. Mine will just be there a couple of months, if that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.