all seeds were started on feb 22nd.

the two on the left are hansel eggplants and the four on the right are
dancer eggplants

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

this next one are my three imperial star artichokes

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

this last one are three big bomb cherry peppers on the left and two bhut jolokia hot peppers on the right

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Denham Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

Is that a soiless mix?

I don't mean to be a wet noodle, but soiless mix can be a huge pain the the butt to get properly moist, and it's best to get it wet before repotting.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Herbie, Neither Hansel nor Dancer have grower reports or photos in Plantfiles. Look forward to to your reports.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Nice pics herbie, Question, Do your artichokes come back the next year for you? aren't they a two year plant, second year they produce? or am I wrong. I grew them once, and dang it if DH didn't till them up. Grew them by seed, and they did so well when I put themoutside. Till the fall garden got tilled up and so did my chokes.

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Nice plants Herbie! I'am in zone 4-5 and am going to start planting seeds this weekend. I'm going to try Jalepeno peppers and yellow sweet peppers. Can you give me any hints that I might need to know. I've never started peppers from seed before. Do you put yours on heat mats? I don't have heat mats, just grow lights for after they sprout. DM

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Lookin' good Frank! Wishing you continued good luck with them.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

HERBIE, you started yours about 3 weeks before me. Those look great. I'm doing jalapeno, ancho, anaheim and pimentos. The anaheims were slow to germinate, but they are making up for it. Purple tomatilos and listada de gandia eggplant get started tonight.

Dig, like you, I don't have heat mats. I use a warm and cool light in my light setup. I keep them very close to seed flats. This keeps them in low 70's for the 16 hours they are on, and the coldest I have seen it in the morning before the lights come back on is 65. This is in my basement. I have near 100% germination.

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Vadap, are you saying you set them under the lights to germinate? My lights are in my basement also. I have mine in the window, but will move them to the lights if that works. DM

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Yeah, I put them there for the heat. It is 70* and 38% humidity right now under the lights. I don't have a heat map, and personally ain't shelling out the bucks for them. I'm about to up-pot some things and will turn on the lights beneath, so possibly some extra heat.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

kalika22 - i transplanted them into four inch pots and filled it with MG. itseems to work for me.

farmer fill - i have no idea how to work the plant files but i will post pictures of the plants asthey continue to0 grow right here.

kathy - this is my first time growing artichokes and as far as i know here in upstate new york they are treated as an annual.

dig - i do not have a heat mat but with the ultra hot peppers i could have used one. with all other hot peppers i just surround the containers with blankets and try to keep them as warm as possible.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Herbie, I'm in upstate NY too and am growing artichokes this year for the first time. I got a variety that is supposed to be able to winter over here, Violetta. What with the warming climate, I think it is worth trying to winter over this plant here, regardless of the variety.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Herbie, It is easier to post photos to plantfiles than than even in a forum. Example, from home page click on guides and information, then click on plantfiles. From the plantfiles home page, click on the green bar ("Click here to search for plants") Enter Eggplant at common name, cultivar name Hansel. Scroll down and click on search button. click on eggplant Hansel http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/170677/ scroll down to actions, click on "upload an image of this plant" click browse, select the photo to upload and upload it. That is all there is to it.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I've got some tiny, fuzzy green bugs on my new Japanese eggplant seedling. It's been outside in an earthBUCKET for 1 week now. What are they, and what spray should I use to get rid of them?

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Sounds like aphids. Safer's insecticidal soap works, although I have had better luck with neem.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

farmerfill - i just got my plants back from sequee who was watching over them while i was away at my sons wedding. she did a great job cause they are even bigger than when i dropped them off. will be posting more picture very soon. will try what you said about the plant files.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Herbie, glad you had a good trip to son's wedding and that your plants were well cared for. Your eggplants are really great looking as were all plants. i forgot to plant any eggplant seed earlier, maybe still will be okay, in the gh.

Donna

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

donna - i have both hansel and dancer seeds if you want any.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Herbie 43 , Thanks for kind offer of eggplant seeds. Would love a few of each. Only me to garden for so can't use a lot. When I have extra produce I take it to the Senior Center, not many there can or do garden so they love getting fresh produce.

Donna

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

HERBIE, I planted my pepper seeds, sat them in my South facing window a week ago and am now seeing tiny sprouts breaking the soil. I did not use heat mats and just kept a lap blanket around the container. I also have tomatoe seedlings that are about an inch tall.

I think I will take them to the basement today and put them under the lights.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

donna - send me your name and address and i will mail them out.

dig - like i said on the pepper forum earlier i just grow hot peppers and before i bought the unltra hot pepper bhut jolokia i never had to use aa heat mat but it was recommened to do so with the package insturctons. i planted 7 or 8 seeds and only two germinated.

here are some pictures of my veggies right now.

first up are the artichokes

This message was edited Apr 6, 2008 4:02 AM

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

here are the two bhut jolokia's

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

these are the big bomb cherry peppers

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

here are my dancer eggplants

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

and finally my hansel eggplant

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Herbie, don't know when I have seen such happy healthy plants. What potting soil do you use, mix your own.??? I use Whitney Farms with added compost, my own.

Donna

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i will have to check. it might have been MG but will check

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

donna - just now check and it was MG seeding starting forumula that used. to be honest i have better germnation success using cheap stuff from bargain stores in my area.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I am anxiously watching the progress of your artichokes. I always assumed (trouble right there) that would not produce in this zone. Maybe more research is in order. I need to look up the Hansel eggplant too.

Beautiful plants Frank!
-Kim

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

kim - i haveto say that they insructns for the artichokes are bizzare. when i get ready to put them out i have to make sure they hve 250 hours of temps under 50 degrees but have to protect against frost.

i will keep you informed on how the plants are doing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.