Coleus Chatters thru March 30th..

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning to everyone!!! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/824512/

Even though it is a chilly 34 degrees this morning, I wish warmth & sunshine for everyone and soon, loads of blooms and beautiful plants & coleus! So with the first day of spring behind us and the weather getting nicer everyday... what plans do you have for this week? Saturday was filled with outside cleaning and mowing... and more outside cleaning. I'm ready for it all to begin!!!!

Well, springtime makes me feel like dancin'....how bout you? I can't get this song out of my head so I thought I would share it with you. LOL

Youve got a cute way of talking
You got the better of me
Just snap your fingers and Im walking
Like a dog hanging on your lead
Im in a spin you know
Shaking on a string you know

You make me feel like dancing
Im gonna dance the night away
You make feel like dancing
I feel like dancing dancing dance the night away
I feel like dancing dancing ahhh

Quarter to four in the morning
I aint feeling tired no no no no no
Just hold me tight and leave on the light
Cause I dont want to go home

You put a spell on me
Im right where you want me to be

I want to dance the night away
You make feel like dancing
I feel like dancing dancing

You take me higher
Im gonna catch on fire cause

You make me feel like dancing I wanna dance the night away
You make me feel like dancing Im gonna dance my life away
I feel like dancing dancing ahhh

You really slipped me a potion
I cant get off of the floor
All this perpetual motion
You gotta give me some more
You gotta give me some more

And if youll let me stay well dance our lives away
You make me feel like dancing I wanna dance my life away
I feel

Coleus Christmas Candy
(a difficult coleus for me to grow, out of 10 plants... this is the only one that colored up for me and looked like the true Christmas Candy)

Thumbnail by Brinda
South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Gosh, I haven't heard that one in a long time! Leo Sayer???
That Christmas Candy is just beautiful! Did it need more sun to bring out the colors, or is it just finicky?
Cathy

Norfolk, VA

absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Cathy! Yep, Leo Sayer! LOL

Many of us got cuttings from NCFarms last year and Christmas Candy was one of them. The plant in the pic above was in mostly shade, all the others that didn't do well for me were in the sun.

On the plant stand... the bottom left is the same coleus that never colored up. I guess it didn't like the sun. Kinda blahhhhhh

Thumbnail by Brinda
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

beckie, could you send me a few cuttings? i would love to try my hand at coleus. i think they are so pretty

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Sorry, bhaugh was posting when you did.

It was beautiful, but certainly had it's own personality. Almost reminded me of my kids when they were defiant!

Norfolk, VA

sure will Kathy, I've can send you some Drama Queen and Goody Goody.....

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow Brinda, what a difference! I'm trying to put some in the ground, keeping in mind how the sun will shift over the summer, so that I don't end up with fried coleus. :-(
The summer sun is a bugger here.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

THANK YOU SO MUCH, beckie. i can't wait

Norfolk, VA

they will be in the mail by the end of the week Kathy

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

LOL svplantingfool....you have very little on your want list-LOL
I love finding things I have on friends want list and sending it as a small gift.
I only have a few seedlings of Coleus right now, but I have other things :o)
And when my Coleus come in-and if it is on your want list.....I love sharing-LOL

Miss Beckie and new word on that Coleus that frightens cats? I would love to get my hands on it...I think Miss Kathy has it but haven't thought to ask her.

Hope everyone had a GREAT EASTER-and if anyone is looking to work off a few pounds from your Ham dinner-you can come help shovel me out! LOL
Σ§:o)

Have a great day!!
Robbi

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi my friends and family...

kI'm back from Chicago seeing my DD and spending Easter.

Happy Belated Easter to all.

This is just a BEEP post. TTL..

Hap

Norfolk, VA

it's called Coleus Canina........I think there are a few here at DG that have it for trade, I'm looking now. I need something that will deter the cat and my BIL dog from the garden. From what I have heard it has an odor similar to skunk......... Σ§:o}

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

If you can imagine an odor worse than a skunk... that would be it!

Hi Hap! Welcome home!!!

Norfolk, VA

do you have these Brinda? do they really work?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Nope, don't have them, way to stinky! Not only that, I thought they were really ugly. Warning... if you get one, do not touch the leaves because you can't wash that smell off.

As far as them working? I have no clue but I would think you'd need more than one to do the job, depending on how big of an area you have.

Norfolk, VA

hmmmmm, can't wash the smell off.......maybe I will reconsider that one. I did hear that most people grow them just for the foliage and cut the flowers away, that must be why. I they are that unattractive.
Σ§:o)

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Hey Brinda!

That Christmas Candy from NC Farms looks great. The ones they sent me didn't look a bit like that. I think they may have been mismarked.

Just flying through. Have a billion loads of laundry to do.

Juanita

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Brinda
I didnt know you were a disco fan! I used to actually dance all night to that one. Oh, those were the days!
Christmas Candy? Defiant like a little kid? How about these?

Ghost rider’s Nightmare, Darth Vader in Sin
Defiance, Diablo, Fire Dragons’ Earrring!

Now thats defiant!

Florence, AL

Have a question for ya'll, my Coleus are doing great, but!!
I have already pinched back, but they are still getting leggy looking, should I pinch back again? Not all are doing this but some of them. Such great colors, I hate to mess with them.
Thanks in advance for advice.

Pam

Florence, AL

Also has anyone heard from Traci, I've tried calling her a couple times and never get a answer.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Pam take some cuttings off of it. It will come back better then before. Leave a couple of nodes above the soil. The cuttings will be better to keep once they go outside and can be pinched back.

Stockholm, Sweden

Pam,
no sorry - haven't heard from Traci today. Hug her from me if she shows up.
Alice

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Welcome Becky, Kathy, and Robbi,
I'd offer up some cuttings but I'm working 7 days a week and just don't have the time to do the pack and ship deal right now.
I will later when the the job ends.
But be warned if you start growing coleus they are addictive.
Are any of you going to the RUs this Spring?
You can usually find some different ones there.
I'm planting 7 10 inch bowls for the N Fl one this saturday, Should I do one for you too Happy?
Brinda,
I love that shelf did Allen make it for you?
Sidney

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Sidney, i'm already addicted. i just ordered
screaming rasberry
beckwiths gem
saturns rings
is there any cure?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sugar,

I would love that.. Thanks....See you soon.

No, This time you ordered 3 next time it will be 6, etc, etc
;)

Norfolk, VA

Thanks for the welcome Sydney, I have coleus at my MIL house, but am going to have it here this year. They are such beautiful plants and as you said very addicting.
Kathy you will absolutely love them.
I've got to run, getting ready for work. see you all later Σ§:o)
Beckie

Sorry we cross posted Hap.
You've got it.
;)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Hey, I was here first you two! LOL I WANT MORE COLEUS!!! :)
Beckie, you sending that Angel my way yet? :)

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

oh no, i think i'm in big trouble. i wanted 1 of each i saw

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Go ahead Kathy, each one you buy means more cuttings for me! HA HA HA

Norfolk, VA

Tammy, April won't part with her yet.....I tried........but I will leave you a picture, I'm off to work!!
Love & Hugs to all

Thumbnail by bhaugh
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW such a beautiful Angel!! Thanks, Beckie. :)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Nope Kathy....No cure has been found as of this date! The only thing that helps around here is I have to hide my credit cards when I look at a new site. Good Luck!

Sidney, that RU is this weekend, right? Shoot, wish I lived closer as I'm sure you & Hap will have a blast. I hope Mary gets to make it!

Oh Sidney! LOL That shelf has a permanent lean to it. I have no clue where it came from but in one of our 'clean out the garage' fits, I found it. (I vaguely remember buying it about 5 years ago) And you know me... if it's plant-able or will hold plants then it must be destined for the garden! I'm thinking that this will probably be the very last year for it, if it makes it that far.

Did I tell you all that we're now down to one koi? If only I could get my hands on that stupid cat. This poor little koi stays in hiding all the time. I'm guessing he must be in shock knowing that he's gonna be the last to go. LOL What a frightful thought!

Hey you guys? If I end up divorced, can I come live with some of you? Of course, I would want to live in the warmer climates during the winter.... so raise your hands so I can make my plans where I'm going to be staying!! LOL

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh, beautiful baby!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Brinda, I bet the only stipulation is that you bring all your Coleus with you! LOL

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LMAO Not a problem.... why the heck do you think I'm getting a divorce?

I'll help you look for a house here. LOL
;)

Stockholm, Sweden

Becky, Kathy, and Robbi I too wish you welcome to the coleus forum.
I hope to see you around here a lot!

So you're all addicted already? That was quick!!!

Well, the good news - it's a very healthy addiction. I've nursed my addiction for 11 years now, and I'm still alive and happy!

Good luck with the coleus collecting, I wish I could send you cuttings but the US customs regulations won't let me, they are much more strict than the European regulations.
Alice

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.