The last freeze of 2008... we hope

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I don't know about you guys, but I hope this freeze we have Monday night is the last of them. Seems Easter has a little freeze surprise each year now. I guess it's not as shocking as last years, but after the way it'd warmed up, I sure thought we were done. Got everything back inside again and just am hoping the things that have come back to life in the ground don't suffer too bad.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh yeah! I'm still fighting reality and hoping the forecast changes! I am in the process of moving the things that had gone out - back in. The stuff that's in the ground will get a visit from the laundry. Fingers crossed.

They're saying exacty 32 and some frost for here. What's the word for the midlands Keonikale?
Deb

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I guess we are lucky Easter was so early this year; maybe it is the end of the cold.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Calling for 29-30 here Deb - so a definite freeze. I'll probably be dressing up a few plants as well, especially my bananas which came back to life these last two weeks. I might cover up a few of the EE's as well, just so they don't slip back into dormancy for a few weeks. I'm just glad I didn't put any of my new EE's or Bananas in the ground. I did that last year and it really ruined my Spring growth.

They are calling for lows in the 50's by the weekend - incredible roller coaster ride. We'll probably jump into the 80's for high's here soon. Spring comes and goes before you know it anymore. And though I keep hoping we'll see more rain this year, NOAA's outlook says we can expect drought-like conditions again this year. *sigh*

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

No! No drought! I refuse to think about that now. ;->

I have verbena, callibrachoa that have come back and are blooming. Even the nicotinia has buds. Sigh, indeed.
Fortunately, it's just the one night, and it's not a really hard freeze. With warm day before and after, maybe the plants won't notice.

Raleigh, NC

Just checked the weather this instant, to decide what to cover etc, and it says its only going down in the high 30's tonight, and mid 30's tomorrow.....so I'm hoping all will be ok (but, yes, I'm not so trusting, so will be covering what I can anyway....).

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

You make a good point about the warming Deb. I believe last Easter it was cold the day before and after that hard freeze - so it really hit hard. But this year it'll be back up near 70 the following day, and almost 80 a few days after that.

Let's just hope it's the last one. I'm ready to get stuff out and in the ground - permanently for the summer. We started work on a new bed last weekend and of the 9 palm plants we put in it, all but one had to come back out and go back inside (luckily everything I'd put in was in pots and nothing was planted yet). But after this coming weekend, I'm putting stuff in the ground and then praying, LOL.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Just looked and 36 is supposed to be the low for Bluffton. That's way to close. My peaches are blooming and I see my citrus are going to flower soon.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've been watching for a week and every day they'd nudge the low a little lower. I'm so glad I resisted the urge!

X

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I was weak, LOL

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

It was hard .. very very hard .. my greenhouse is getting crowded and at a critical stage where bugs n stuff are starting to really multiply because of heat and humidity and crowded conditions. I'll probably start moving stuff out on Thursday and planting on Friday thru the weekend.

X

From the National Weather Service.

COLD HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD INTO CNTL PORTIONS OF SOUTH CAROLINA & GA LATE TONIGHT. THE COMBINATION OF CLEAR SKIES AND DIMINISHING WINDS WILL ALLOW TEMPS ACROSS THE COASTAL COUNTIES AWAY FROM THE BEACHES TO DROP INTO THE MID 30S. THIS WILL ALLOW PATCHY TO SCATTERED FROST TO DEVELOP.

THE RISK FOR FROST WILL BE GREATEST WEST OF HIGHWAY 17 & AWAY FROM THE HIGHLY URBANIZED INTERSTATE 26 CORRIDOR EXTENDING FROM DOWNTOWN CHARLESTON TO SUMMERVILLE. PATCHY TO SCATTERED FROST IS EXPECTED IN THE COMMUNITIES NEAR AWENDAW.WEST ASHLEY.
HOLLYWOOD.RAVENEL & ADAMS RUN. FROST & FREEZE CONDITIONS APPEAR UNLIKELY IN THE IMMEDIATE BEAUFORT.HILTON HEAD AND CHARLESTON METRO AREAS AT THIS TIME.

A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT FROST IS POSSIBLE. SENSITIVE OUTDOOR PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT UNCOVERED.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

My local weather is saying 39 degrees for Bluffton. Looks like a few miles is going to make a big difference. This exact thing happened last year when my peaches bloomed.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well if it's gonna be frosty in Charleston I know it will be frosty here.

X

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

everythings in the gh, even though its only getting to the upper 30's

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Summerville seems to be in for anywhere between 32 and 36, depending on which weather service you ask.
I've just come in from covering a few things with laundry. I had set some seedlings out in pots so I brought those back in.

I cut some flowers and brought them in, just in case all the bloomers are fried tomorrow. Hope not. :)
Deb

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Calling for 32 here last I checked. I just finished wrapping the banana up and covered it again (wind was bad here for a moment too, and blew my cover off - staked it back in this time.) I'm hoping it doesn't hurt it... last year the late freeze nipped it a bit and stunted it.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

One of my clients called this evening and wanted me to make a movie of his azaleas tomorrow .. I didn't have the heart to tell him they will probably be all mush.

X

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

a movie???

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Yeah .. I make little movies and turn them into dvd's so he can pass them around to his family out of state so they can see what's going on. When he heard i had designed and built my new computer for video he started having me make movies. I'm not quite ready to go "public" since i'm still learning how to edit digital video .. but it's good practise. When I get better at editing I want to make some gardening videos.

X

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Gone with the frost?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

lol! keonikale!
that sounds cool tell us when you make something about gardening.... or put it on youtube

LOL

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Yeah .. though he's under a lot of tree's so hopefully they will survive the frost.

X

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

hopefully

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well everything survived .. I don't see anything that was frost bit .. what was in danger was canna, ginger, brugmansia and elephant ears. They all look unscathed thank goodness! My clients azaleas are ok too.

How did everyone else do?

X

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Looks fine around here. I never worry about EE BTW they seem to just come back if they get hit by a freeze.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

No frost here, atmosphere was too dry and should be again tonight when it hits 36. The freeze was at around 30-31, but the banana I wrapped looks fine (I threw some hand warmer packs in under it late last night). And the greenhouse (which I didn't even use all winter until this freeze threatened) remained at 60F all night thanks to a heater.

Wednesday everything comes out of the garage... I think we're finally done with Winter.

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

27 degrees here when I got up this am, and everything had a solid layer of frost on it. I covered some stuff last night, and brought a lot back in the house.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

it only got down to about 39 around here. unprotected bananas and hardy hibiscus sprouts were unharmed. i think it was too dry, plus we had a small breze occasionally here, which helped even more to keep frost from forming

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Well I'm sick of looking at seedlings in the house so in a day or two they're all going outside for good I hope. I have some seedlings that are trees and I want to get them planted in gallon continers and the rest in the ground soon.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

same here... this weekend or next things will be out for good probably

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

It was 33 at 7am here. No damage to the stuff that was uncovered.

So...I'm drivin home this evening and on the radio they say "lows tonight in the low to mid 40s".
Great! I think, so soon as I get home, I run around removing the "laundry" from everything.

Then I come inside, turn on the old computer and there's this "frost advisory" flashing, saying it's going to get near freezing again tonight. Arrgghhh!
I re-fuse to go out and cover the stuff back up. Hopefully, it won't be any worse than last night. I hope.
Deb

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I hear you Deb. We just covered things back up again. I'm not going to run my heater tonight for the GH though. I figure they'll be fine so long as it doesn't freeze like last night.

So make that one more night of this... and then we can all hopefully move things out for good.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sure hope so. My tropicals are getting restless. :)

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Well most everything went out today. I seem to have somehow expanded my plant collection two fold over the winter - or so it seems. They must be breeding in my garage, LOL.

Our new "island" out front ended up looking really nice. Funny part is... of the 15 medium sized to large plants in it, only five are in the ground permanently (an Adora, Gigantea, Basjoo, Sago (which got nearly fried at 15F), and a Windmill Palm). Everything else is in a sunken pot, and some of the holes are gigantic (32" pots make BIG holes). We have two Christmas Palms, Giant White BOP, four Hibiscus, a Monstera Deliciosa, and two Chinese Fan Palms (which I've found are not very hardy for our climate in Lexington - another got toasted this winter). The yard looks like it belongs in somewhere tropical. I wish....

This message was edited Mar 26, 2008 9:31 PM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Keonikale: Photo? Please? :)

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I'll snap one tomorrow on the way to work :) It got dark as I was putting the last of my Mac and Gigantea EE's in the ground around the house. I have a Borneo Giant coming too, which I can't wait to see in the yard. My neighbor who we built the island next to (who loves gardening like me) is in Florida this week since their kids are on Spring break. When she comes back she's likely not going to recognize the bed as the same when they left. We have mini-growing-competitions (unspoken, but all in good fun). LOL, she's still kicking my butt on flowering things. I tend to heavily favor foliage over flowers.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Wish the sun was up a bit more before I shot these... looks so much nicer when the sun's on the greens. Soon as the Adora and Basjoo get larger, things will look even better. We still have a lot of small ground cover tropicals to put in as well - including some of those plants I was getting an ID on last week.

We've only been moved in a year, so still lots to do... if I can keep patient. I'm starting on the backyard this weekend (including finishing those bamboo ponds).

This message was edited Mar 27, 2008 9:19 AM

Thumbnail by keonikale
Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Another shot...

Thumbnail by keonikale

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.