I am Surrounded By Salvias!

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I planted some seed for Salvia roborowskii, and I have 2 seedlings I have been nursing on the window sill, in the kitchen..they started to get their true leaves, so I transplanted them into individual pots and put them outside in my green house...the Salvia azurea is doing well..I have 4 plants of them, and the Black and Blue, and the Argentine Sky and the Hot Lips from last year are greening up...the Mexican Bush Sage, too.
And the Lavender cochinea seed that I got from Joseph, is coming up....

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Aaaaaah, to be surrounded in salvias. : ) Life is Good. : ) Happy Spring, and Easter, too. : )
~Lucy

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I am also surrounded by Aphids but the Lady Bugs are here too...so the Aphids won't be here for long..
Happy spring and Easter, to you too, Lucy

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

I am surrounded everywhere, seeds germinating on the rack, little salvias to pot up, bigger salvias to pot up and all my big plants, I am thinking that you cannot ever have enough salvias.

Another star at the moment Salvia Caudata.

Thumbnail by annette68
Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

The Salvia roborowski were moved into their own pots...they are still tiny but...

This message was edited Mar 27, 2008 10:23 PM

Thumbnail by melvatoo

You are lucky to have so many beautiful salvias, Annette. : ) The one above is very pretty.
~Lucy

Just a lot of seed sowing Lucy, I just repotted salvia roborowskii this morning, mine is a tad larger.Interesting that we are on the opposite side of the world and we are sowing the same thing.

Thumbnail by annette68

Some more repotted babies that are salvia stars in the making.

Thumbnail by annette68
Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Yours, are more than just a tad bigger than mine! All your babies are nice!

What cute babies. : ) I have planted all the salvia seeds that I have gotten from trades. I probably have a total of 6 or 7 different kinds, I think. I'm always on the look out in the seed/plant forums to see if I can spot more. : )
~Lucy

That is it Lucy, just email all the forums, that is how I started I had to have them all, I wasnt proud took any salvia that I didnt have, now 2 years on, I have an extensive collection, I do have the perfect climate for seeds though, I sow all year round, I cant wait to sow the seeds, yikes that isnt good for all the other flower seeds that I sow they have to wait their turn.

Melvatoo I sow differently than you, my seeds start in a tiny tubepot x 2 seeds.

Thumbnail by annette68

Than they just get upsized to the next sized tubepot, less root disturbance.

Thumbnail by annette68

Than they go to a 125ml pot, I just upend and plant the whole thing in, it works for me.

Mind you I like those pots that you have yours in, they look like they are made out of egg carton cardboard? Do they dissolve, very interesting.

I'll keep looking around. : ) I'll have to take some pictures of my babies, maybe Sunday. I've been getting ready for a RU this weekend at MollyMc's. She lives over 2 1/2 hours away from me, but I went last year and had so much fun,...I'm going again.

Hopefully there will be some salvias there. I am gonna take a few that I have alot of extras of, so others can enjoy them, too. : )

Annette, do you all have RU's over in Australia?
~Lucy

No we dont have roundups here, what exactly is a roundup and what does it entail. Sounds interesting:)

Candor, NC

Here are my baby flats that I use to germinate seed. I have 2 x 5 rows inside each, and sow no more than 50 seeds of any one kind. When they show two pairs of true leaves, I cut out the rows and pot up. They are under grow lights right now, and I usually give them a week in the greenhouse and some plant starter fertilizer before potting, to ease transplant shock.

This flat has a lot of seeds from Ginny Hunt.

Thumbnail by Rich_dufresne

A RU is where we all get together, if we live close enough, and trade our plants, or just give them away. We walk around, and get to talk to the people in person, that we only know by their Dave's Garden name on here.

We usually bring a dish of food, or sweets, so that we can have lunch, also. It's alot of Fun, and we make alot of new friends. We usually have 2 or 3 of these during the year here in Florida, different locations.

We always come home with more plants than we took. My 2 1/2 acres is gonna be jam packed within another couple of years, at this rate. : )

You can never have enough plants Lucy, and you will always have room for more. The roundup sounds like a great thing and make sure you share with us what you got at the roundup.

Hi Rich : ) What kind of plant starter fertilizer do you use? I've just been using a really weak solution of my regular fertilizer. Seems to work ok. : )
~Lucy

I am too much of a scaredy cat to use fertilizer on my seedlings, i am not game to do that until they are in their bigger pots.

Ok, Annette, I take a picture of my stash, when I get back. : ) I think they are gonna take pictures at the RU, and post them in the RU forum. Then, you can see all of us discussing plants, and trading. : )

I will have to check out the ru forum and satisfy my curiosity.

Annette, I don't ferti;ize them until they get there true leaves, and start looking like the need something. Sometimes, I wait until after they have been put in their larger pots. Just depends.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Annette,
The pots are the Cow Pots, they are made from cow manure..they are supposed to dissolve, that is the plan...they are new to me, so I don't know how they are going to do.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I just sowed my roborowskis this a.m....lol...I've always sown my seeds in flats, but lately when I receive maybe 10 seeds of something, I've started using my leftover, empty Starbucks frappuccino cups. I like the domed lids and with holes drilled in bottoms, they work fine. The seeded cups then go into the large clear plastic storage boxes. Also using my potting mix instead of peat and that's going well also so far. I'm now wondering if I could maybe lurk around a Starbucks (or two) and discreetly grab empty cups, paw through their dumpster,maybe. I have a lot of their cups,but sure could use a lot more. I also like the plastic 'clamshell' packages that strawberries come in. They already have drainage slots, too.

Maybe just ask them to put aside the used cups may work, we dont have starbucks here but have maccas, I get coffee from their mccafe daily, never thought to reuse cups though...

mmmmmmm cowpots made out of cowdung, what will they think of next, very interesting lmk how or if they work.

Looks like the roborowskii's are doing a roaring trade lol

Hebron, KY

Annette,

Gorgeous blue Salvia pic! I love it!

Marilyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.