Plant ID

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

can someone help me to identify this plant? i suppose it could be a weed...my dad sent the picture...he's trying to decide if it's a keeper or not...
location is meridian, ms...blooming now...don't know height, but it doesn't look very tall...sorry for the blurry image...he's new to digital, and i'm new to posting...

Thumbnail by awarhol
Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

It looks like a type of Puschkinia or Squill.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Heh, if that's a weed, I'll trade his weeds for mine ;) Love the color!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

He should keep it and encourage it to multiply, multiply, multipy. He will have a beautiful carpet of blue every spring. (Or send the bulbs to me!!)

Loganville, GA

It is a hyacinth that has very little energy left in the bulb. depending on the cultivar, depth planted, location, soil fertility, etc. hyacinths bulbs can become smaller and unable to produce a large amount of flowers as we are acustomed to seeing. Our hot GA summers make many cool season bulbs expend all of their carbohydrate reserves. I like to plant my bulbs a little deeper than recommended to keep them cooler, add bone meal to the soil, and give them a little mulch in the summer, and then remove mulch in the winter so they get enough chilling hours to keep them producing large heads of flowers. Hope this helps.
-Horticulturalist

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

That's what I thought too, ginger, when I saw the pic. Thank you for that load of information. Maybe that explains why my hyacinths, tulips and crocus come up but never bloom any more. Should I dig them up and toss them and replant something in their place???

Susan

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Maybe it's a very old type of Hyacinth, before the hybrids. I had some like this from my DH Grandmothers place. Not very showy, but just as fragrant. As Gingerlily said, some good fert and TLC might pep it up for next year.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Poor little thing. If that is a hyacinth, it is REALLY working hard. One precious bloom. Treat it well so it knows you appreciate it. :-)

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I would have guessed Chionodoxa.

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

as you can tell, i am mostly a weekend gardener...i am off for 2 weeks now, so i can dedicate some time to researching all of the info you shared...thank you very much...
my mom thought a hyacinth also...
the other names you shared are foreign to me so i will certainly be reading up while i'm off...
my dad has instructions to mark it with something as it dies back...maybe we will benefit from its mulitplying one day...he wouldn't miss it...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.