Help with I.D. please

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hi All,

Does anyone recognise this plant, I received the seeds as salvia sp. from Cuba, I dont know if it is a salvia or not, flowers are tiny and salvia like, foliage is very unique, does anyone recognize?

Thanks Annette

Thumbnail by annette68

The foliage has gone red with being in the sun, in the shade it stays green, it does have square stems.

Thumbnail by annette68
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Maybe a Plectranthus of some sort? The leaves remind me a bit of P. verticillatus, although the flower color doesn't look the same http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1354/

olivet, France

Hello Annette: impossible from photo but could you answer these few questions: Calyx upper: lip how many veins? Ending with a single tip or setarated into 3 points? Rear arm of the stamin ending with a teeth below oriented frontward? Is the plant dead after flowering (or almost collapsed) or a real perannial?
Christian

Hi Christian, Welcome to Dave's Garden!!

Joseph

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes, absolutely...welcome. We're lucky to have so many knowledgeable people here!
Sherry

olivet, France

Dear Annette,
Do not bother with my silly questions. I had a better look at your pictures and my doc. This is very likely S. micrantha and probably var. Blodgettii which is found from Florida to West-Indies including Cuba. Morphologically, it is not far from S. cayamensis that you have except the corolla upper lip completly covers the stamins and the flowers are a litlle smaller. To be sure, could you post a picture as the one given as an exemple (this is Salvia tubifera taken on the field) with ruler, one leave with its whole petiole and a flower put appart showing the stamins, the style, the inside of the tube. Thank you. Christian

Thumbnail by froissart

That is very helpful Christian as Richard suggested that it was probably in the same family as the caymanensis. I will pull everything apart with a ruler and post a picture for a better look at the inner structures of this flower later today.

Thanks Annette

The stamen was tiny.I hope that these pics help.

Annette

Thumbnail by annette68

The leaf and flower.

Thumbnail by annette68
olivet, France

Dear Annette, Thanks a lot for the two pictures. I confirm S. micrantha but acording to flower size this is not var. blodgettii. With a risk to unplease Robin, let us call it S. micrantha Vahl var. micrantha. Christian

Thanks Christian, at least an id has been made, it is a weedy species but alas needed a name.

Annette

London, United Kingdom

Christian,

The name does not displease me, as my plant died, and I don't intend to grow it again, as it really was weedy! (Reason Christian wrote that was because I used to be very confused about the differences between subspecies and varieties....still am, sometimes.)

I will include it on the next page on my website during the summer.

Robin.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.