Is it too late to plant seeds

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I have Siberian Iris seed. I would like to germinate some, but afraid it's too late. Can any of you help me. I've never grown them from seed.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

If you have kept these seed in the refrigerator since you collected them then yes you can plant the seeds now. If not refrigerate them for 3 months and pot them up or better keep in fridge till November and pot them up for the winter.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, no I did not put them in refrig, but I will wait now. Got enough to plant anyway. I planted some with my ws stuff and they didn't come up, but that's probablly why. Either that , or just about the time I start to throw the pot away, I'll find them!! Thank you again for answering m;e

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Sometime iris seed are finicky. But Siberians shouldn't need a cold treatment, although it might help.

According to Norm Deno, they should germinate at 70F with light. the Ontario Rock Gardening site http://onrockgarden.com/ adds that a soak for 1-2 days is beneficial.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I have some soaking but they've been in there more like 3 days, but I think I will try them and just see what happens. I did notice one is coming up that I winter sowed. Maybe some more will.!! Fingers crossed.
Thanks!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.