"wire grass" in compost?

Crozet, VA

My husband is fighting a battle with what he is calling wire grass. He said it is very much like crab grass, but not exactly. He is wondering is he can put the wire grass along with its roots in the compost bin or is that asking for a lot of trouble? We would hate to have that stuff start growing there and basically ruin a bunch of very promising compost.

Any ideas? experience? Thanks all.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I believe this is a stoloniferous grass, but not sure because there are a few grasses withthe same common name. I have tried composting stoloniferous grasses & had negative results. Even getting the compost super-hot did not deter it from regrowth.
So my advice would be a resounding NOOOOOOOOO! =:0)

Crozet, VA

My thoughts exactly Katye. Thanks for responding.

Ruby

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Almost nothing can withstand a compost pile sitting at 115 degres for three days.

The problem is often that the pile keeper does not get all of the plant material into the hot part of the pile. Same of course is true of seeds.

Being a bit on the lazy side myself I do not but that kind of material into my compost piles.
If done properly there will be no negative returns.

Crozet, VA

Thanks doc for your input. I have been seeing you post on Mid Atlantic group and always love your messages.

Happy Gardening.

Ruby

Thanks..........I enjoy helping as I may from time to time.

Fredericksburg, VA

I HATE that grass. It invaded by beds last July. I can not firgure out how to get rid of the stuff.

Crozet, VA

Hi Mosby - My husband is taking each strand of it, one by one and unraveling the whole thing until he gets to the roots. Some are six feet long and more. He started doing some last year and is at it again this year. I don't know if we will ever be rid of it or not. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

Ruby

Ruby...........your hubby has as good if not best way to deal with wire grass. I keep after my variety of the same grass the same way every year.

Crozet, VA

Well then doc, John is in good company. Though we haven't met, I have read a lot of your posts and regard you as someone I would listen to when they are giving advice. He said that his mother who is nearing 90 years old always did it that way and she called it unraveling the world.

Ruby

I have other names for it that are not suitable to use on a family site. ]:o)

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Oh I can only imagine, Doc!!!

Crozet, VA

Yep, and I bet that John has used a few of them from time to time while tending to this stuff doc.

Alright, since John is currently sitting here with me and taking a break, he has another question. What is the best way to get rid of greenbriars? ha-ha, I thought he was talking about new growth but he tells me it is actually a plant without much foliage. He says it is a thorny vine. Anyone heard of it?

Any suggestions for where else on here I can ask this question?

Thanks bunches.

Ruby

RX FOR GREENBRIARS...... Get out two cold ones. Sit down and enjoy just one. Take a stroll into the Greenbriar patch. Sing a song of joy. Spin and dance a little as you sing. When totally wrapped in the cotton picking mess walk out. Many will go with you . Step out of those clothes. Set them afire and park your naked butt down and drink that other cold one. Repeat process as is necessary.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

LOL - that's quite a visual!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

There is a way to compost bermuda grass, crab grass, Johnson grass, field bindweed etc....(all those easily spreading weeds that are usually not composted)!

Chop them up, put them in a sealable bucket with some EM solution to make a fermented plant soup. When fermenting mixture drops below pH of 3.5, it's ready to use. The liquid extract can be diluted and used as a fertilizer. The remaining plant material can then be safely added to your regular compost pile. It won't sprout after its been pickled.

Crozet, VA

Really cute doc. John laughed. Please have someone video you as you next get rid of greenbriars. We might win some award or something for silliest video. You made your point though, it is about the same situation as the crab grass, one tought bugger to deal with.

Thanks for soup recipe mermaid. What is EM? I know that I will be embarrassed when you answer that question. Not sure that we will go to this amount of trouble, but is good to know that it is possible in case we do decide to try it sometime.

Ruby

EM is a probiotic culture (microbial innoculant) that has many uses, such making Bokashi compost. We have a few threads on using EM (or EM1) on this forum. It's quite a vast topic to explore.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/802294/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/796403/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/821756/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/828412/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/828557/

Crozet, VA

Thanks mermaid, will check out the links. A person sure can learn a lot of they only ask questions. ha-ha

Ruby

Yep, kids ask questions all the time. LOL!

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Quoting:
It won't sprout after its been pickled.

Neither would I!
My curiousity has been piqued - it's another experiment.

Thanks so much for the information.
Always prefer to know my options.

Crozet, VA

You are a cutie Katye.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.