Citrus rinds in the compost?

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have a bunch of citrus trees and after juicing, is it unwise to throw the rinds into the compost? Wasn't sure about acidity would become a problem here or not. Probably not so much in the rind, but I'm just not sure. Thanks guys.

Cibolo, TX(Zone 8b)

I compost mine and have never notices a problem with the compost becasue of it. . It is also said to be a good addition to garden beds to repel nematodes. THe citrus oils in the rinds are great ant replents too.

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

They also take a long time to break down. You could chop them up in a food processor first before dumping into your compost pile.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I dump them into my compost pile. Sometimes we have bad oranges and I'll throw the whole thing in there just cover with compost. They break down readily, just get moldy.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I love this website...

Thanks a ton guys.

Helena, MT

Mother-n-Law gets grapefruit and lemons delivered to her senior living center. She doesn't eat them but waits until they are moldy to give them to me for the worm compost bins. I use blended orange peelings as worm food but I'm reluctant to use the whole grapefruit or lemons. Since I use several measures to keep the acidity levels down I questioned the use of these two fruits. Anyone know anything about the acid content of grapefruit or lemons versus oranges?

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I dump them straight into the ground.. it's great.. No problems :)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/800670/

Just found this thread. Nice to know about the citrus rinds. Have been throwing them away. We have tangerines, oranges, grapefruit and lemons.
Doesn't sound like you dig them in soul - doesn't that draw citters?

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I get little bugs, but I try to bury all compost from the kitchen.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Like all the other respondents, I just toss all citrus rinds into the compost bin--try to slice them up a bit first , at least into quarters. After a while, they're not recognizable anymore so I know they're on the way to being compost. I don't know the answer about soil acidity being affected by the use of citrus rinds. . . hasn't seemed to be a problem for me, but I'm not composting a huge amount of citrus.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I toss uncovered more in the winter and try to cover more in the summer :)

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Orange peels are said to repel ants so I would think the same of grapefruit and lemon peels.

Hi Susan!

Brenda

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

IF YOU SEE.........a chippy with pink ears, yellow tail and orange nose you will have an indication that you have added to much citrus parts to your compost. Otherwise there is no concern.

LOL doc - thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.