Hyacinth Bean Vine question

(Zone 4a)

Has anyone grown these? I am building my pegola this spring and I was thinking of planting one in a pot. Would it do okay in a ground container and have it going up my pergola? Any thoughts? I know nothing of this plant so anything you offer would be great. Thanks.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

No ideas for you, Dawn, since I've never grown them but just saw a photo of them on an arbor this morning, on DG. I'll find the link. I know I have an ancient package of them (a freebie) downstairs so now I'll look for them.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I grew it a few years a go. Was a little slow growing it seemed. Made it up 6-8' I think.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Here's a link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4690900

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I bought some this year to grow over the entry way to my house. I'm going to train them up strings to reach the canopy and then let them go wild. (I hope.)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I grew them a number of times. Probably a problem for you, Dawn - not a long enough season. You can't plant them out too early. I would typically not see the flowers until late Aug or early Sep and not see the pods (the main attraction) until Sep / Oct. I never got so many where I would say it was spectacular. I gave up on them.

(Zone 4a)

Thanks folks! I think I will think of something else.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I had the Scarlet bean runner last year. It certainly grew faster, maybe a bit too similar to green beans.

There are other fast-growing annual vines. I never grew it, but isn't black-eyed susan vine a good one? There's always moonflower and morning glories.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I've grown them. Just got a pack of seeds from Parks a couple of weeks back to grow them again this year. August is when I saw the flowers which are very lovely and unusual. They have a nice purple color to them.
They grow about what Al said (6-8 ft). Tolerate drought and love sun (at least 50% of the day). Their root system is compact and shallow so a pot would be ok, I can see 4 of them growing in a 12 x 12 x 12 pot, if you could put a drip waterer on them it would be ideal. They'd be in full bloom along with chrysanthemums, Asters & Golden Rod.

1 of 4

Thumbnail by WaterCan2

2 of 4

Thumbnail by WaterCan2

3 of 4

Thumbnail by WaterCan2

4 of 4

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I looked at my seeds and I bought painted lady bean seeds, not Hyacinth.

Nice shots, WC. I liked it - was just too short and in cooler summers I only had a few pods before the cold did them in. In Dawn's zone I doubt it's worth the effort.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Nice shot WC!

I've tried many of the annual vines too. Cathedral Bells was really nice, but flowered about a week before frost, Moonflower and Cypress Vines were duds. I do like Morning Glories, but they really can be nasty and will be here forever now basically. I bombed out with BES vine too. I'm not saying not to try any of those - just giving my experience. Have you thought about Clematis?

She's big on clematis. I imagine she's looking for something quick for the new pergola. Will you be using clematis on it, Dawn? I don't MG's myself, unless I'm sure it's not a big re-seeder. Four years after planting Star of Yelta, I'm still pulling up all over. I have not had too much success with moonflower either.

Thanks guys! ☺

Clematis are nice, I have 4 and got hooked, ordered 7 more for this year. Hopefully when they come next month the ground will be a little more 'hospitable' for planting. I still have to order a 'Clematis Montana', I've got the perfect place for that one! ☺

(Zone 4a)

Watercan your photos are just lovely!!!

Victor I am thinking the same thing you are - that in my zone it probably isn't worth it. You know me too well - my first thoughts were to use clematis...LOL!!!! However this patio is on patio stones so I was hoping for something I could plant in a pot that grows up quickly. I know clematis can be put in a pot but I don't want to have to worry about over wintering it etc...too much work.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I didn't have luck with the hyacinth vine. Clematis works better for me and they're perennial.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Dawn, I saw a mandevilla last year in front of a restaurant that was spectacular. Looked like 'Alice Dupont'. It is obviously grown as an annual in this zone. Unless they have access to a heated greenhouse or pay someone to overwinter them. I asked, by the manager was the only one who knew anything about it and he wasn't there that day. Does anybody know how fast they grow? I want one so bad since I saw that one.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Also, I grew hyacinth vine for the first time last year. first, I only got one seed to germinate...the rest molded every time I planted them. the one grew to about 6 and flowered pretty well. but like everybody says, didn't flower til the end of August here.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Tried both hyacynth bean and black eyed susan vine several years ago in a spot which only has about 6 hours sun a day. HB grew but was not spectacular. BES was a bust. Never got over a foot tall. I'm going to transplant a 5-leaf akebia there this year that has outgrown its welcome elsewhere. Recently someone suggested a hops vine, maybe I'll try that too.

Hops will go nuts, Don. I had it on my arbor and finally had to remove it.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

What a hot topic.LOL
My Hyacinth bean vine germinated great, and then slowed down.

It always grew for me. It hates cool wet soil - that's why you have to wait. But then you're limited with a shorter season.

...That may be the key to its success, I have very sandy soil here. It doesn't retain much moisture. - In fact if I let it dry out completely it's almost indistinguishable from beach sand unless you look very closely.

Bulbs and plants which don't require constant moisture or dislike 'wet feet' do well here. All the beans I planted did well. The fact it doesn't flower till August is fine with me since it gives me something to look forward to when most everything else is slowing down or finished. I look at it like the NE Aster/ Chrysanthemums I have, it's great for a fall garden.

I don't know how well it would do up in Canada though, I'm not familiar with their growing season... ☺

Short.

I bought a couple of packs of BES and Scarlet Asclepias last 'nite, they both seem to tolerate my type of soil so I'm going to 'experiment' with them this year. From what I can gather the BES seems to prefer to ramble on the ground unless propped up on a trestle which is great for an area I have next to my garage, It also is supposed to tolerate part sun. - we'll see... ☺

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.