Growing plants "upside down"

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Does anyone have any infomation about those upside down planters I've seen pictures about? We don't have any areas to plant veg. So I thought we could try some of those things for tomatos and such.
Chuck

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm not positive but you might find more information on this under the Container Gardening forum.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

If you search for the Kinsman company, google them, they sell a product called the "Down Under Pot." I tried to get to their website but my browser is acting up this afternoon.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Pix, they look very interesting. I could hang a couple in the cherry tree in front of the house.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

My brother has been talking about them, he may end up with one before long. He has a huge Green Thumb....I have a little one!

I have a green thumb and a TON of seeds from China Me! :-) TY TY Celeste

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Glad they arrived and your very welcome!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Here is the Kinsman link in case anyone wants it. Don't look too much around this site it is very tempting. They have a lot of nifty planters and stands, lots of goodies could cost you lots of $$$. You were warned. :)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I have them, Chuck. Tried them last year for the first time. I was not very impressed. One main reason - the volume is too small so they must be watered every day or they dry out. There is a bigger size available but you really need something hefty to hold it - it gets very heavy. I would not use crystals since I was growing tomatoes.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Last year I tried growing a miniature cherry tomato plant upside down in a two-quart plastic milk bottle. I cut off the bottom, drilled holes in the sides near the bottom (now the top) opening for wire hangers, stuck the roots of a small transplant through the original bottle top (now the bottom) and filled the container 3/4 of the way with damp soil mix. To prevent the young seedling from falling out I cut a slit in the original plastic cap, slipped it around the stem and clicked it into place. The plant grew like gangbusters and I did get a reasonable number of tomatoes from it.

This year, I started a similar one in January to rush the season, hanging it in a south-facing window. I also put two more in regular pots just to see if rightside up plants produced more than upside down ones. They all have lots of blossoms so far, so I have my fingers crossed.

It is true that they need to be watered often. Maybe a gallon jug would help that, but that would be a lot of weight to hang.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

A forty or fifty pound synthetic feed bag makes a dandy upside down planter. Holds about a five gallon bucket of growing medium. Sorry you still need to water frequently. I used a gallon jug stuck in the top every other day. Cost me the medium and one home grown seedling. Fun too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.