UGA horticulture plant sale

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

its almost here
"The sale will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, April 6-7 and 13-14, and from 1-5 p.m. Sunday, April 15. The club will close shop for the Easter holiday April 8."
"This year will feature herbs, including lavender, and some interesting bedding plants,” Thomas said. “There will be a good supply of tomatoes, Alabama sunset coleus and wave petunias.”
The students will also sell trees.
The plant sale will be at the main greenhouse complex on Riverbend Road, just outside Athens Perimeter Highway off College Station Road. Signs will be posted to direct you to the sale.

http://georgiafaces.caes.uga.edu/storypage.cfm?storyid=3096#complete

I bought several plants there last year and was only able to kill one so they are very hardy plants, all i saw were potted not bare root.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Those dates don't make sense to me. Are they last year's dates. Easter is this weekend 3/23.

I hope they have a sale this year, but I think that is last year's info. Date at top of page says April 5, 2007.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

UGA's spring break was last week. I'll call my friend from church that works there and see if she knows about the plant sale.

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

your right I just called and being the computer genius that I am I pulled up an old advertisment, it is just around the corner though
sincerest apologies

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

ok no biggie, it actualy is the first and second weekend in April
Fri 4/4 8am-5pm
Sat 4/5 8am-5pm
Sun 4/6 1pm-5pm

Fri 4/11 8am-5pm
Sat 4/12 8am-5pm
Sun 4/13 1pm-5pm
again I apologize for posting the wrong information

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Fremar, no worries. I was just very confused - hoping it wasn't just oldtimers. Those dates and times look good to me. I want to try and get there on a Friday. Thanks for the posting.
Becky

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

will it be in the same location as the first post?

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

temptation!!!!

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Fremar,
Did your contact say that the location of the sale would be in the same place?

"The plant sale will be at the main greenhouse complex on Riverbend Road, just outside Athens Perimeter Highway off College Station Road. Signs will be posted to direct you to the sale."

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

yes ...same spot. They have a rather large lawn area with shaded area, Friday would be your best bet ,on Saturday everybody will be there buying up what they have

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Link to the current article. http://apps.caes.uga.edu/news/storypage.cfm?storyid=3384

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Its a hard call for me.. 70 miles one way.. I just mapped it.. hmmmmm

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Susan. Its only 35 miles for me, so I am really considering it. It is also so close to the State Botanical Garden. If the crazy weather is nice, I'd like to visit there too. Yesterday it was 80, today its barely 50. Sheesh. Becky

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I know!! I worked outside yesterday and the kids played.. Today jackets and overcast.. You should go then!! :) I'll have to see

Susan

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

Becky if you are coming you should also make time to see the research gardens off Sanford Dr and West Green Street. Its right next to the Pharmacy Building, on the weekend I think you should be able to park right beside them off West Green its probly only 3 miles from the sale

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Fremar

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Tell us about the research gardens... tempt me more :)

Loganville, GA

We drove 80 miles round trip to go to the plant sale for the first time yesterday, and my husband and I were very disappointed in what we found. Maybe my expectations were too high after all the good things I had read about it, but I thought it would be much bigger and more informative, with many varieties of plants for sale. The varieties were limited, and there were only a few plants of each kind. They were very spread out over an area smaller than my front yard. The plants appeared to be healthy but small, and in my opinion, over priced. The students were very disorganized, most prices were not marked, and some of the students could not even answer simple questions about the plants such as whether they were annuals or perenials. Many of the plants were poorly labeled or not at all. I do understand that it was the first day of the sale, and we were there in the early afternoon, so maybe they just didn't have their act together yet. I wonder if they bring out more, and /or different plants on the weekends? We enjoyed the trip and bought a few plants, but overall the plant sale was a disappointment. I did get to go through one of the greenhouses though, apparently the newest one, and I found that very interesting since I am seriously considering buying a greenhouse later this year.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

:( ugh!

You must know abou tthe growers outlet in your backyard right?? I'd make a hike out there..

Susan

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, my friend and I went today in the rain. Like scootapook says, there weren't a lot of different kinds of plants or many of each variety. But they seem to restock continually. While we were there, a truck arrived with more and different plants. We had already picked out what we wanted, so we didn't wait for them to unload. I think they restock all the time so that they spread out what they have over the 6 days of the sale. The students running the show were very helpful but they didn't know all the plants. Many of the labels had gotten wet and were hard to read. All the plants were good size and looked very healthy. I got a dendrobium orchid, majestic spires salvia, a white/green variegated heuchera, a bronze leaf coleus, and a yarrow.

We went to the state botanical garden for about an hour. It was great, even in the rain. We didn't see that much, though. Just the herb garden and native plant area (I think.) We went back to campus and tried to find the trial garden and couldn't see it. Went back to the plant sale and asked and one of the girls drew me a map. (They were unloading yet another truck.) There's construction going on by the trial garden, so no parking close by. We did stop for just a few minutes. Only the perimeter of it was planted. Most of the beds have cover crops now, waiting for later planting. I did get some names of plants I will try to find for my yard.

A very wet, chilly day. But we had fun.

Becky

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

a true gardener! :)

I kept peering out to see if the rain had stopped to go pull weeds.. But know I've got tomorrow to do it.. but I have done it in a summer rain :)

Loganville, GA

Oh yes, Susan. I am very well acquainted with Grower's Outlet!! I go there often, and love shopping there. I've been there at least three times already this spring. I keep a watch on the availability page and when they get something new in that I want, I go for it. Of course, several other things usually manage to jump onto my wagon as well! lol Their plants seem to be especially healthy this year and you certainly can't beat their prices. I do like to shop other places occasionally, and I thought the plant sale might have some new and unusual plants that might not be available elsewhere. I am pleased with the plants that I did get there, and the students were nice and helpful. I didn't get to see any of the other gardens, but I hope to go back soon to tour them.

Cathy

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Cathy, I see some things on their availability that would make me drive there now...but I am really trying to get the stuff I already have planted in.. Today should be a good day for that hopefully.. Good to hear their stuff looks healthy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.