Woo -Hoo!!! Spring starts tomorrow!

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Its finally arrived! SPRING!
I haven't seen one single Robin yet.
I wonder what that means. They're usually here by now.

I can't wait to get back in the garden!
My Daffs are popping out and some Crocus starting to bloom.
The ice and snow is melting, its a muddy soupy mess out there and still cold but we're gettin' there! Little green things are starting to come out of the earth!
Yeah!!

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose
Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh, how exciting. I cant wait to get back home. I wanna dig in the dirt! Ive got lots to do. Here in NC its been "spring" for a while. Not the same as home though because it never really turned winter here.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I havent seen in flowers yet, but the snow is melting here

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

My flower gardens are still under about 6 inches of snow. But, it smells like spring.
A friend of mine put 3 new flowerbeds in last fall. I will be helping her plant and clean. She has a big garden walk at the end of July,and she has lots to do by then. She also had a large vegetable garden and sells produce.
I help her out and bring lots of plants home for payment. My flower gardens are only in their second year, so have lots to do here,too
Aleta

I am re doing my left side iris beds. All my shade beds. I also want to completely redo the lawn or what ever you wanna call my sorry excuse for it. I just wanna get the yard tip top this year. Last summer before i moved i had to plant over 150 potted plants in a tiny little area. I need to get that cleaned up this year.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have so many project going on in my head that i want to do.
Sure hope i can get to most of them before summers GONE!

Northeast, IL(Zone 5b)

My family is in the GR area and I live on the other side of the lake...OK if I post here? ;)

Last weekend I went out and cleaned up the iris beds and chopped down some of the ornamental grassess. It felt sooooo good to be outside gardening! Have spotted one robin so far.

Too bad we have a return to winter this week. I've started some summer-flowering bulbs indoors and may break down and start a few tomatoes after all--was going to just buy a couple of baby plants but I have seeds, so why not!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Gold sure post away the more the merrier! My dads family was from Jacksonville ILL!
Start the mators for sure-i have 3 flats growing and going to start one more- i have so many kinds of seeds i have to try them all and the smell of the tomato plants growing-yummm!

I have not seen a robin yet(knock on wood) but when the berries start growing i will have
dozens
I did see the redwing black birds and the ducks that live in the ditch are back!

You guys must keep me posted on the snow melt. I think i will have to fly home to get the leaves off my irises stat. I cant wait till may!

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Robins were here yesterday and today, we also have Irises and others popping thru the ground, and now there calling for snow again here :( I can't wait til it warms up and the ground dries up. I have so much work this spring and summer to do. And oh my all the bulbs and perennials I have coming lol

I also have sowed seeds indoors and today I seen my first gnat :( I have lots and lots of daylily babies growing and my maters! oh my! I am so ready to plant all of these :o)

I have lots of WSing jugs outside, but so far no signs of life in them, but I know it won't be long...

ok gtg have a great night,

Connie

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Spring? Yeah, right. We're due for another snow storm this weekend, and about 50 percent of our old snow is still on the ground here in the woods. I do have green bulb leaves poking up outside and sweet smelly Walmart Hyacinths blooming in nearly every room in the house. No Robins here.

What up with the no Robins?!
They usually start arriving in February.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I dont know why your not seeing robins?? I'v got them all over just in the last week i love to hear them sing!! saw rw black birds and our nest of greckles in the eaves at work are hached and cherping you can hear them in the office LOL
HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SPRING
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

No robins here either. Lots of redwing blackbirds though. I love hearing them. Sounds like spring.

Our steep bank to the water has no snow and is full of leaves. It is bugging me to rake, but it has quite a few bulbs and plants that could freeze if I remove the protective layer too soon.
Lots of snow everywhere else though.

I did walk to the mailbox in my sweatshirt and did not die from hypothermia. That is a big step in the right direction.

Lots of critters woke up with the warmer weather. One of our bird feeders was torn apart in the daytime (raccoon?) Skunks have been waddling around. I see a couple of minks running back and forth in front of the house every day.

Saw a male hooded merganser yesterday. So the ducks are coming in to nest. (mallards stay all year) The hooded and common mergansers are so funny to watch this time of year. The female has a top notch of red hair that sticks straight up. She is not all that attractive. But the males sure think so.
I will see as many as a dozen males following one female. Each day there will be one less, like they were voted off or something.
I have a hard time getting anything done this time of year, as the window to the wildlife is a huge distraction.

I have the trail camera set up about a half mile back in the woods. I am leaving it for a week to see what walks by. (bigfoot maybe?) lol

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well it is SPRING now... Im sorry so many of you still have so much snow left!!! Ours basically is gone... Maybe a small amount on the hillsides that do not get much sun but thats it... I actually have daffys starting to peek thru the ground and some of the crocuses are opening Welcome to spring...Cparts that a really cool idea with the trail camera.. I have seen many Robins around here also...Chirping away and glad to be "home". You know what I want??? I want dirt under my fingernails!!! LOL. Ronna

We still have quite a bit of snow but more of it melts everyday.
No RWB here either but I did hear a Robin while doing chores last night.
We've had a problems with squirrels at out bird feeders this a year where as we usually don't. I think because of the extra snow cover.

Yah Ronna...thats called a "dirt manicure".
Its a-comin'! ;o)

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Spring....sun is up and shining brightly!! gonna be a great day!

Saw my first robin in our yard yesterday....and daffys are poking their heads up. Since it is sunny I'm going to tote some flats out to the greenhouse to catch some good rays...then start some tomatoes. Broccoli popped up overnight...ahhhhh do you think we have arrived yet?

"s" coming I've heard....

NOthing smells as awesome as the spring soil. I love going for walks on the days when its sunny but the ground is still wet. Smells so great. Cant wait!!!

Me too! Me too!

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose

pretty cottage rose!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok, the UPS man came today and when I went to the door, I looked out the window and a blue heron was sitting on the bank.
That is a full 2 weeks early for them around this lake.
The UPS guy was surprised he just sat there and watched us, then spread his 6 ft wing span and took off.
Spring is here.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh Blur Herons are so awsome!!!! I like watching them flying.... Beautiful... Did you get any plants from the UPS man? Just kidding!!! My phlox should be arriving soon!!! Can't wait. Ronna

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

No plants. It was beer malt and hops. DH has turned the basement into a micro brewery. Someone (DS) was foolish and got him a beer making kit for Christmas. Now I have buckets, barrels and cases of beer brewing in the house.
He is having a really good time.
Tomarrow the first of it is ready for tasting. Watch out!

thats funny cpartschick! my bf is the same way but he hasnt had a chance. once he gets a new kit its all gonna be over from there. He did however just buy a motorcycle and thats all i am gonna hear about for weeks.

michelle

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Motercycle...weeks??? You will be hearing about it for years! DH still talks about a cycle he hasn't had for 15 years.
What kind of cycle did he get? Used to work at a cycle place. Know a little about them.

Its a uh, uh, uh, im not sure off the top of my head. Its a crotch rocket, 600, yellow, fast, about $1000 in aftermarket parts, and worth more than her paid. He hasnt brought it home yet but its all im gonna here about for long, long time. OH, boy, im in for it. Ill never see him again. Between golf, hockey and a motorcycle, so long!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Mmmm, Has he ridden much? First thing he will do is "lay it down". Hit some gravel in a driveway or easement and it is scraped up on the side.Tell him to watch out for that, really common thing to do with a new crotch rocket. (one you are not used to)
600 isn't too bad. Probably a suzuki? Still can go fast enough to do some damage though. Tell him to be careful.
He will have fun for sure. And look at the gas he will be saving!!!

He is an ex dirt bike racer so hes not completely in the dark. Whole new game but hes aware, luckily. hes not a nut and has respect for machines so i think he will be ok. Otherwise i would be freaking out. I still worry since most accidents are others fault and not the biker.

Oh, i found it. ITs a 2004 Honda CBR 600 F4I. It has after market chain and sproket, pipe and some other stuff. Lots of money into it. It only 4300 miles on it. The guy who is selling it has lots of money. Andrew said he was really cool. Rides a harley and the son has a has a really nice rocket too.

They are gonna hold it for him till the loan money arrives.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I love Hondas the best. Very good bikes.
They just run forever.
Sounds like he will do great. How fun!

i hope so!

Big storm rolled in today and covered us with a new blanket of snow.
Bu-hu-huuuu!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

c-r the good thing is it won't last long LOL so far nothing here I don't think we are going to get to much of any thing hope hope
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

OK.............When the REAL spring gets here wake me up OK?

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Loon, ROTFL!!!
I'll wake you up ...... I promise!
toofew

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It's snowing!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

we'v had snow flurries all day but its still 34 out so its not staying HAPPY DAY
Gloria

Its times like these when i am glad im NC right now. We cooked out today in the warm sunshine. Is that mean?

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Nope, not mean at all. Save yourself and wait awhile before you come back.
Old man winter just hit us again. Just a skiff of snow, but boy oh boy is it cold out. 12'

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It got down to 8 degrees last night here. Now that is COLD. I'd be happy if we get night time temps in the 30's.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Finally saw a robin yesterday. I bet that little guy is mad that he came up here this soon.

Hang onto that branch, while that white stuff pelts you in the face! Robins will have to get a lesson from the chickadees on how to survive this crap.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.