Please Help with TB Iris ID

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

hi there folks, i just got a few historic iris yesterday and was hoping you guys could help with some ids. the first is a HUGE tall beared, i would say over 35-40 inches, but the flowers are the largest i have ever seen! the color is a pale cream/apricot/pink blush with an orange beard with some stippling(?) near the beard. the bloom stalks are very large/thick and there were about 6 buds. i reviewed all the photos in the HIPS site and the closest in my opinion my be "Ballerina". thanks

tracie

you can see my hand for comparison for size

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

here is another photo taken outide today. no sun today, but the color is a bit better than the photos taken indoors.

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

this next one is much smaller. sorry about the not great photo.

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

here is another photo of the first NOID TB iris so that you can get an idea of the height.

tracie

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

There are tens of thousands of named and registered bearded iris. The only positive way to identfy a NOID, is to grow a positively id'ed iris adjacent to your noid. There are so many varients involved; Purple based foliage, bloom season, heigth, etc. Soil and climate conditions can cause the colors, bloom season, & dimensions to vary by location.
This can give one a reason to keep careful records. Just think of all the new iris one could acquire trying to get the name correct , Maybe it is 'so & so', nope, let's try this one. Nope, let's try this one...............
I don't think it is 'Ballerina". To my eye, 'Ballerina' is more ruffled. But I do like your NOID, it is a lovely color and very graceful. Perhaps someone else will chime in with their knowledge.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

thank you for the information. i am so very new to iris, i did not realize there were that may named varieties! i am very addicted to daylilies and am always amused when someone asks for an id on a flower, since there are over 60,000 name varieties and so many look the same. the noid iris that i acquired were from old homesites or from trades with folks on this site, sent as noid. all the name iris that i have traded for or purchased have been marked in my beds. i am just naturally curious and like to know the names of the plants that i grow. doesnt really matter, though, i am just stunned by how large this one is. are there a lot of tb iris that are this large? please keep in mind that i am a complet newbie to iris, but i have always thought that they were one of the most elegant of flowers. thanks again,

tracie

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Your description and pictures sound very much like an iris I had many many years ago. It had champagne in the title, but I don't remember if it was the first word or the last. Good luck with your search. The flowers were huge and I loved it. It sucumbed to one of our terrible upstate NY winters.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

thanks mittsy. didnt we do a trade last year?

tracie

Yes, I think you're right!

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

didnt i send you some hardy glads? how are they doing for you? the ones i planted in my new, raised beds are huge!

tracie

I'm a snowbird so they won't be planted until I get back to NY.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

thats right, i remember now. i hope they do great for you!

tracie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.